Thread: 8th Edition: Adeptus Arbites Index

8th Edition: Adeptus Arbites Index

So 8th has barely hit and I've already cobbled together a template for doing index-style data sheets

While I will eventually be porting my 7th edition codexes over, I may wait until we see the first official codex for 8th before I get too ahead of myself. However, in the mean time I wanted to do something simpler, so decided to knock together a quick index style release for including Adeptus Arbites. I feel like I'm stepping on Ambience 327's toes a bit, since he always releases a great Arbites codex for every edition, but I've kept mine pretty simple, focusing mainly on units that can easily be made from old Arbites models, as well as some common conversions such as bike-mounted Pursuit Squads.

So, without further ado, here's my first foray into 8th edition rules:

• Version 0.2 [PDF]
      Version 0.1 [PDF]

(Apologies for the hairline gaps in the headers of the PDF, I'm not sure how to prevent them)

To give the cliff notes version, the important features of the list are:

• Units:
      • Arbitrators are pretty solid with good Leadership, 4+ saves and BS 3+ as standard.
      • Patrol Squads are built around short to mid-range firepower, with Vanguard making them a good base for a force if you want to move forward and start shooting quickly.
      • Suppression Squads focus on melee combat, with defensive smoke grenades (function like Smoke Launchers), they're tough with a 5+ Invulnerable save as standard, boosted to 4+ by their unit ability until they lose too many models.
      • Riot Squads are an Elite mix of the two, basically suppression shields with ranged firepower.
      • Pursuit Squads are basically bike-mounted Patrol Squads.
      • Pursuit Sentinels are a mix between Armoured and Scout sentinels with the same Vanguard ability but the tougher armour, but with a generally mid-range weapon options.
      • Arbites Land Speeder is basically a Land Speeder Storm.
      • Cyber-Mastiff pack with optional Handler to boost them, are fast moving and vicious, with the same No Escape ability as Wyches, for when those Vice-like Jaws get latched on
      • Judges are the main front-line characters, with Morale boosting, with Marshals being the upgraded HQ version which can also bolster other Imperium forces, both are not to be trifled with one-on-one.
      • Chasteners hurt enemy Morale with their presence and Scare Grenades (but these must be thrown and hit at the right time).
      • Chaplains help encourage Arbites to hit things more.
      • Rhinos and Repressors for transport. The Repressor is a little tougher, main benefit is a couple extra transport capacity, firing slits, and the Riot Plough giving more damage if it charges at least 6".
      • Sniper and Support teams are basically sniper rifle and heavy weapon weapons team type units (paired models). Both have a Suppressive Fire ability to represent that they're trained to support their fellow Arbitrators, meaning if they inflict wounds they can prevent an enemy from Overwatch. So makes for a good one-two-combo for a charging Arbitrator unit. Doesn't work with other Imperium units (or even different precincts) as I'm assuming it's very much down to precision timing.
    • Wargear:
      • Shock Mauls are weaker Power Mauls that can force save re-rolls on 6's to-Wound.
      • Arbites Shotgun has different firing modes; none more powerful than a Boltgun as such, but with high flexibility. Might need a slight points increase (e.g- 3 vs 2 for a Boltgun or such). Not sure though.
      • Choke Grenades force Toughness tests on non-Vehicles that, if failed, reduce a unit's to-Hit rolls; one on its own won't do much, but a unit or two throwing them out together, or using Grenade Launchers with Choke Grenades can seriously impair a target.
      • Webbers also force Toughness tests, but can affect Vehicles too. For each failure the target suffers a penalty to all movement. Again, in isolation this won't do much, but with the Heavy Webbers especially quantity means you can grinding all sorts of targets to a complete halt. Very useful for preventing especially nasty combat units from charging, but I like the idea of your local Arbites precinct pinning down super-heavies with riot-controlling glue-guns
      • Suppression Sirens (Pursuit Sentinels and Land Speeder) can force an enemy unit to fight last; requires the vehicle to charge, but can be very handy if your Arbites are forced to put down some pesky Howling Banshee or Slaaneshi Daemon rioters!

So yeah, the aim is for the units to individually be relatively weak, but synergise well, with combined choke grenade and/or webber salvos giving you a lot of crowd control options. Choke grenades especially mean you can render an enemy almost useless in the first round of combat, making it easier for your Suppression Squads to mop up weaker enemies, or get some much needed early damage in against stronger enemies with less chance of being horribly mauled to death before you get a chance to. Cyber-mastiffs are either deadly or pesky depending upon whether you use them to hurt or just slow the enemy (who potentially can't escape them).
    Last edited by Haravikk; 05-07-2017 at 14:04.

Re: 8th Edition: Adeptus Arbites Index

Some early changes to come:

• Thinking of making the Judge an HQ choice too, with same abilities Marshals have now, and making Marshals a more expensive HQ with added orders style ability, and possibly limited by number of Judges you have (i.e- you can't have a force led only by Marshals, since they should be fairly uncommon).
    • Chastener will gain Healer and become a bit more expensive.
    • Chaplain should be cheaper; since they lack the Invulnerable save of Ministorum Preachers I think their better starting equipment and stats balance out.
    • Webbers should be a Strength test, not a Toughness test. Seem to have had a brain-melt on that one!

Cracking list!
    Check out my WIP Inquisition Scions/Arbites Strikeforce HERE
    The Imperial Munitorium Civilain and Logistics Vehicle Thread HERE

Wow! really like your formatting! really blends in well. Browsing through, mostly to see how the base troops are, it looks good! I love the choke grenade rule.
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane

Chaos Marines, 30k and Renegades

Hopefully you still like it after the update (link in first post)

Tons of stuff tweaked; Choke grenades are simplified (but still do fundamentally the same thing, minus the Toughness test), Webbers made consistent with Genestealer Cults (didn't realise they had them) so they're just wound vs Strength or Toughness, but cheaper and with better range than Flamers. Repressor consistent with Forge World rules.

Some big changes to the main characters (Judges and Marshals, with a new pseudo-special character above them in the High Marshal), plus added a Detective profile and Psychic discipline to go with it.

Also added a Commandeer rule similar to the Inquisition, allowing them to use any Astra Militarum transport, so I don't have to duplicate data sheets for things they can also use like Chimeras and Valkyries, you just have to mix them in.

Currently working on a couple of custom vehicles for my Arbites army, I am also new to 8th. Would it be possible to get some rule suggestions?
    Check out my WIP Inquisition Scions/Arbites Strikeforce HERE
    The Imperial Munitorium Civilain and Logistics Vehicle Thread HERE

What vehicles did you have in mind?

8th edition's army building is pretty free-form, so for the most part you can include a lot of vehicles into armies without any issues, as I'm pretty sure they only need the Imperium keyword (unless I've massively misunderstood), so anything that's similar to a vehicle in another army can pretty just use rules for that army. So custom rules are really only needed for anything uniquely different to anything found in another Imperium faction.

This is why I added the Commandeer rule, to allow Arbites to make use of Transports from the Astra Militarum (as normally they're faction restricted), this way I could avoid having to duplicate them in the list. This means Arbites can freely use Chimeras, Tauroxes, Valkyries, or even the Super Heavy transports (ideal stand-ins for Mobile Precinct Fortresses) if they wish to. Otherwise you can just include stuff like Leman Russ tanks and other things Arbites have access to; while they won't benefit from Arbites-specific keywords, none of the rules in the list would benefit them anyway so it makes no functional difference.

I've a couple of custom vehicles in works. Including a Vindicator with a Siege Ram/Hammer in place of Demolisher. Plus an Arbites version of the Razorback Rickarious.

I believe that the keyword flexibility will soon be outdone when codexes drop. All the stratagems and chapter tactics-abilities when taking a mono-faction will become better in most cases.

That said it would be a good idea to introduce some unique army wide stratagem for these guys, similar to the SM ones... could be something about storming units in cover/buildings (think swat raid) Some scout type rule (to represent they are likely fighting in their own territory, that they have already planned to defend as their very purpose, and have better knowledge of territory), Or something like "We have you surrounded!" Where after an enemy unit suffers casualties from shooting, the enemy unit is at -1LD for each additional Arbites squad that inflicts casualties on the same enemy unit, for the current turn only. (so Arbites squad A, B,C each shoot at same enemy unit, causing 2, 1,1 casualties respectively, that unit is at -2 LD)

Also should make some unique taurox version as a typical riot van/swat truck, maybe with a comms/HQ type function, to give utility versus rhino.

About the formatting, what app are you using to make it? Not sure if this makes sense as a generic tip but try adding a border and color it same as the box itself... or look for individual box margin data. if its 0, try negative (some languages will allow that that cause overlap)
    Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane

Chaos Marines, 30k and Renegades

This is ace! Printing now :-) I'll try it out next week and share pics / feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by dugaal View Post
    That said it would be a good idea to introduce some unique army wide stratagem for these guys, similar to the SM ones... could be something about storming units in cover/buildings (think swat raid) Some scout type rule (to represent they are likely fighting in their own territory, that they have already planned to defend as their very purpose, and have better knowledge of territory), Or something like "We have you surrounded!" Where after an enemy unit suffers casualties from shooting, the enemy unit is at -1LD for each additional Arbites squad that inflicts casualties on the same enemy unit, for the current turn only. (so Arbites squad A, B,C each shoot at same enemy unit, causing 2, 1,1 casualties respectively, that unit is at -2 LD)
    Some nice ideas! My aim though was just to create a playable index for the time being; when I can get a copy of Codex: Space Marines I'll start working on a proper codex template and look at stuff like that (plus relics and whatever other options make it in to proper codices).

Quote Originally Posted by dugaal View Post
    About the formatting, what app are you using to make it? Not sure if this makes sense as a generic tip but try adding a border and color it same as the box itself... or look for individual box margin data. if its 0, try negative (some languages will allow that that cause overlap)
    I used iBook Author thinking it would look good in the iBooks format (plus I have an iPad so it would have been more convenient to refer to), however it looks nothing like it does in the editor so it's been a bit of a waste of time as only PDFs look right. I did want to add a border like the GW data sheets, but found I couldn't get it to line up properly.

I do have Adobe Indesign but have never taken the time to learn to use it, but I'll probably try and do-so to make up a codex template I can use for Arbites and my 7th edition fandexes (Sororitas, Ministorum and Inquisition).