Thread: The oddities of 8th

Chapter Master

The oddities of 8th

Overall, I think most agree that 8th is general improvement in the state of the game. I'm enjoying it and think its generally an improvement. That said, there are, of course, some flaws or weirdness. I thought it would be fun to collect the oddest rules and changes in the rules for discussion in one thread. This is not a thread for complaining about mechanisms (such as the changes to templates to D6 shots) but for more odd ball things.

I'll start with my current two favourite flaws:

Combustible atmosphere
    Well, I exaggerate, but flamers autohit everything, including flyers! Given their generally short range, i can only assume that pointing the flamer above your head sets the entire sky on fire, given the effectiveness of these at hitting flyers.

Magnus forgot his glasses
    Magnus the red used to be able see any target on the table, and fire a beam strength D against many different things. Now he has a slightly better version of smite, which does D6 mortal wounds instead of D3, but must fire at the nearest target. The change can only be explained if we accept that Magnus has forgotten his glasses.

Any other fun oddities in 8th that people have noticed?
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Re: The oddities of 8th

His monocle surely?

Anyway I'm fine with that, in general limiting the ability of the big hitters to just delete whatever they want is a good thing I think. The flamers one is probably my pick for weirdest thing in the new 40k.

The business with re-rolls being on un-modified rolls is also odd to me. It's hard to keep track of actual successes with modifiers, successes that become failures with modifiers, and failures that you can actually re-roll.

Also my Onager dunecrawlers don't have a profile when they're at exactly 6 wounds. That's pretty weird (although it's obviously just a misprint it needs an FAQ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot05 View Post
    Combustible atmosphere
    Well, I exaggerate, but flamers autohit everything, including flyers! Given their generally short range, i can only assume that pointing the flamer above your head sets the entire sky on fire, given the effectiveness of these at hitting flyers.
    To be honest, I find the idea of futuristic aircraft appearing anywhere near the battlefield to be absurd, let alone being shot by small arms. They should be several thousand feet above the battlefield. I don't know what that translates to in game terms, but I'm fairly certain that a bolter couldn't hit it.

Chapter Master

Magnus now can only see what is directly between his nipple horns

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Chapter Master

Another a friend of mine suggested to me was the solid walls around the battlefield, which trap flyers into circling in a continuous loop. Given the availability of reinforcements to now arrive when you want, I don't know why flyers flying off the table was blocked. (I know advanced rules). I think just having the rule that if the game ends and they are off board they count as destroyed is enough to keep forcing them to stay on table.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Chapter Master

Commissars can't have chainswords. Or lasguns. Despite the number of models made by GW with both...

I don't mind that you can have officers without command squads (I think you should take an hq per officer but I won't call you a heretic if you don't) but Command Squads without officers? DIE HERETIC SCUM!

I dont like Super Heavies or Flyers making more than a guest appearance in games under 5k aside.

And where did the griffon go [again] ?

Null fields are now extremely selective in their effects.

Friendly psykers can be in close proximity to models with Psychic Abomination/Abomination and even wield null rods with no ill effect.

Librarian

The FAQ 'fixed' the taking of IG command squads without an officer to go with it.

Huh.

Inquisitors can't take power armour anymore.

Meanwhile...

I'm still irritated that they restrict things to what's in the kit. I can kit bash a power axe onto a terminator sgt, but it's not legal. Never mind that forgeworld makes those very options.

Also lances/spears. Why couldn't those still be an option? I spend all this time converting and bah! not legal. Not to say that my game group really cares but still.

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Vaughn View Post
    And where did the griffon go [again] ?
    In the FW IA Data Index as bold as brass just a little slower.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

I've been looking at Chaos Demon Princes vs CSM Demon Princes, and what puzzles the piddle out of me is that CSM DP's seem to be better than Chaos Demon Princes for the same price!

The CSM DP has one better Ld, his buff to hit rolls affects Astartes Hereticus AND Demons of the same allegiance, and he gets access to Prescience all for the same price as as the Chaos guy! The Chaos Demon Prince only buffs Demons of his allegiance and has a spell book that is far wimpier than the CSM book (imo)...no Prescience, no Warptime! Is the difference between these two units supposed to be made up for with the Mark of Chaos, but it's kinda lacking (although Ephemeral Form is pretty sexy).

Please tell me that I've made a mistake here, but I'm fairly sure the CSM Demon Prince is waaay better than his Chaos Demon counterpart and he's the exact same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruination Drinker View Post
    Is the difference between these two units supposed to be made up for with the Mark of Chaos, but it's kinda lacking (although Ephemeral Form is pretty sexy).
    The Nurgle Daemon Prince can get a psychic power that heals D3 wounds. Combine with his disgusting resilience that makes him pretty tough.
    Plus you can summon Chaos Daemon Princes (for what that is worth). The +1 Ld is a pretty minimal boost considering how moral works. Rerolls are nice, assuming you are including Astartes Hereticus units in your army, but if you go pure daemons (or you daemon prince is going to be operating away from your Astartes Hereticus units) then you do not benefit from the rerolls.

In pure power the Chaos Daemon Prince is better. The CSM Prince is better at supporting an army. I think its a toss up TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

A conscript army winning a tournament, that is what I think is odd. Definitely a new dawn in the game of 40, Imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargeant Slaughter View Post
    A conscript army winning a tournament, that is what I think is odd. Definitely a new dawn in the game of 40, Imho.
    Hey, I remember when Slave Levies were better than trained Guardsmen in 4th edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damocles View Post
    Hey, I remember when Slave Levies were better than trained Guardsmen in 4th edition.
    That's long, long ago in a faraway land known as 'history'. Just saying

Chapter Master

hm... I'mma say the bit where a tank can fire all its guns at full accuracy when only its antennae can "see" the target is pretty weird...
    Luckily, it's made up for by the fact their opponents can also fire back onto those same antennae to wreck the tank in return
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to a shaky grasp of English.