Thread: Rumours on WarSeer

Rumours on WarSeer

After discussing this heavily with the Mod Team, I'm here to make an announcement about a change in policy for how rumours are dealt with on WarSeer.

Many will know that over the years WarSeer has gained a bit of a reputation for strictness of what we allow to be shared on the site when it comes to rumours. This was simple practicality.

However now things have relaxed a bit and we have decided to make some changes.

This has been the case for a few weeks now, but after a stealth trial has been pretty positive, we're making it official

Now, this doesn't mean things will become a free for all. Flagrant copyright violation will not be tolerated and outside of the news forums (soon to return to News and Rumours) we will not be so tolerant of people who decide to paste whole pages or more of rules.

But please bear with us whilst we find out exactly where 'the line' will fall on rumour sharing.

Added to this, thank you for your patience whilst we sort through all the comments the community have been giving us about WarSeer Reborn. We want the site to adapt and grow in line with what you all tell us needs to change. Sometimes that change takes a while is all.

In the meantime, go forth and gossip! Rumours have always been a key part of WarSeer. On a personal level, I'm glad I can oversee a more relaxed attitude on the site again.

As you were,

Blackcherry
    Last edited by Teh Real New Girl; 14-08-2017 at 18:41.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Re: Rumours on WarSeer

This is great news. The new GW really is making me happier each second, and things like this really show the effect a better company can have.
    "There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal."
    "There is no strength in flesh, only weakness."
    "There is no constancy in flesh, only decay."
    "There is no certainty in flesh but death."
    " Credo Omnissiah

Sounds good. I mean the world has changed a lot since the times when we basically knew the exact contents of a new codex or army book a while before they are released and GW themselves are running their very clever community page. (on top of this we got sites like BoLS and the spiky one who'll post anything that generates clicks whilst adhering to their narrow target audience). All the more i'm eager to see what substantial rumours actually emerge.

I understand that the team had to enforce a stricter policy, but honestly that rule that forbade even links to other rumor sources bordered on silly. It did a good number on the board. I always considered N&R to be the lifeblood of Warseer. It was why I and others used to flock here. There was no better place on the web for this, with all the old regulars like Harry and Hastings and all the others whom I have forgotten over the years. By bearing down on rumor leaks GW tried to kill this place, and in my opinion the mods were all too eager to become accessories to this murder at times. Why visit this site when all it does is relegate you to some other site?

However the crisis is over now. And ironically with GW being far more open minded regarding informations it kind of feels like this place is no longer needed. The situation is reversed now. What GW didn't achieve with strictness they now achieve with openness. Why should I visit Warseer to scavenge crumbs of rumors when dubious persons like a certain Lady Atia can post the entire GW release schedule months in advance? And also GW killed my game so why would I care in the first place?

So before I congratulate you to your decision I take the liberty to ask if there will be anything worthwhile to read on this board. I know some mods used to have a very intimate connection with various birds for example, it would be good to know if those still exist or if they all flew away in the meantime.

And I also want to know what GW is going to do with the "Aelf" range and when!
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 08-08-2017 at 17:55.

Ultimate Life Form,

Not all the staff agreed with the policy, some of us ended our service as moderators for several years. The former site owner was regularly getting cease and desist orders, which are not nice pieces of correspondence to receive in the mail on a regular basis. Some of the Admins were getting those letters and communications as well and held professional positions in the IT world and ended up leaving as the harassment got worse.

I think the biggest loss was the death of Brimstone who was not just a regular contributor to the rumor threads, but had intimate access to items coming out of GW, he had many friends in Nottingham and was a regular visitor to GW HQ. Eldanar's death then cut off many rumors coming out of events and the US GW staff. Other members (some of whom you mentioned) had life changing events that pulled them away from the games and the site and ended the rumors they used to share. Other members left WarSeer to start their own Race/Army Specific BLOGs/Forums and some opened their own rumor BLOGs as they wanted the attention there and not on a shared forum.

At one point there were over 30 GW staff and writers visiting and sharing information under their Pseudonyms, but most of those folks have left GW for other companies and games. As you note, GW has learned to share and leak its own information on the net and through social media. The loss of members from the hacks and extended downtime in 2016 also reduced the numbers of people visiting the site and sharing their views on upcoming releases.

So as you can see lots of reasons. That coupled with the breaking of the site gallery and now Photobucket's blocking of 3rd Party hosting have hurt the Painting Section which used to draw as many members as the rumors sections did. So we are slowly trying to rebuild the areas we can and as membership rebuilds you may see rumor discussion as you once did. I do not think that it will ever be as active in the rumors section as it once was, but other Sub-forums may grow back to their old levels of activity if members continue to post and share their thoughts, photos, ideas and the fun they have playing games.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Sincerely,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

As you said Brown, forums aren't really the lifeblood of the forum anymore, nor should they be. We can give them space for discussion without running over ourselves to make Warseer the go-to destination for rumours again. GW itself has a firm enough hand on it themselves.

P&T became the reason to visit Warseer a LONG time ago, in spite of all the rumour rules. The hacks and PB situation has hurt for sure, but the thing with painting is... People keep painting new stuff.