Thread: Points 40K

Points 40K

Whose using what system? I keep hearing/seeing either the ones in the back of the book or power points, which they use in my local gw.
    Do they equal out, or am I best off creating 2 lists?

Chapter Master

Re: Points 40K

I was put off the power levels when I realised that 2 models the same, one loaded to the armpits with the best wargear and the other with basic starting equipment, have the same power level. We'll, ok, sometimes an item costs +1 or +2, but that's it.

For example, a Wolf Guard Battle Leader is 5 power points whether armed with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword or Plasma Pistol and Power Fist, even though the guy with the PP and PF have a much greater chance of inflicting wounds in the first place.

The old style points aren't perfect, but they do acknowledge this change in damage output.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Power levels are great for really big games where the cost of wargear is a small percentage (think 10k)
    also they are pretty useful for narrative games where again you are not building a "competitive" army and you just want a rough idea of points
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

Power Levels are just an objectively less granular and accurate points system.

I can't really see the time saving resulting from using Power Levels as being so significant that it makes up for the obviously less balanced nature of the system.
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 07-08-2017 at 18:30. Reason: spelling

we are using PLs almost exclusively over Points because:
    - We only need a very rough approximation of cost for our games.
    - we often play campaigns and Pls include the various options thus enabling us to alter our lists without changing the cost for the unit. A really usefull thing in campaigns.
    - Armybuilder has no file for 8th

Often we do open play for history replays etc. thus we are used to being "unbalanced"...

Chapter Master

Oops, didn't expand on my post enough.

Wolfguard Battle leader with bolt pistol and chainsword is 6 PP, or 60 points.

Wolfguard Battle Leader with plasma pistol and powerfist is 6PP or 87 points.

I appreciate most people wouldn't take a bare bones character, however PP makes it easier for power gamers to get an overwhelming force in place.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WLBjork View Post
    Oops, didn't expand on my post enough.

Wolfguard Battle leader with bolt pistol and chainsword is 6 PP, or 60 points.

Wolfguard Battle Leader with plasma pistol and powerfist is 6PP or 87 points.

I appreciate most people wouldn't take a bare bones character, however PP makes it easier for power gamers to get an overwhelming force in place.
    PL are not meant for power gamers.
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

Chapter Master

PL are designed for pick and play but not worried about balance. They really are bad for any form of balanced game. Best example is necron warriors, who have no upgrades, so PL is actually fairly accurate, but then compared with some of the guard vehicles, or marine (MKVII) squads which can be kitted to the hilt then they are pretty poor.

I've found photocopying relevant datasheets for my units and adding their points cost on the bottom is a far more effective way of keeping track of my armies, but I only magnetise a few units. If I could customise all models to the degree that some players can, I think the datacard would become impossible to wield.

I think the bigger issue with 8th is quite how badly balanced it has become straight out the door. The new sm codex (and incoming chaos codex) provide a large number of bonuses for no cost. This givens them a distinct advantage over other Index armies. Its a pity, as there was some potential in this edition, but the balance is already off.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Quote Originally Posted by toonboy78 View Post
    PL are not meant for power gamers.
    Both power levels and points are intended to provide balance (or at worst, the illusion of) though - and one is just flat better at that job.

Points aren't meant for power gamers either, but that's never been forwarded as an excuse the fact that they're frequently unbalanced.

Should have thought about adding a poll.
    It looks like most of the community here prefer points, and I think 🤔 I am going to have to make two lists.

Chapter Master

Points here, for all the pain the layout causes me, it just becomes an even greater pain to use power levels when they punish my not-ultra-kitted characters so heavily.

*sigh*
    I never thought I'd say this, but I've found myself feeling nostalgic for 5th
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to a shaky grasp of English.

Quote Originally Posted by theJ View Post
    *sigh*
    I never thought I'd say this, but I've found myself feeling nostalgic for 5th
    nah mate, you meant 4th!

Can't stand power level nonsense, points! is where it's at.
    Have a look at my Combined Krieg/ Ryzan Husarz-Grenadiers attempt: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177393
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo
    If my post comes across as angry/aggressive/offensive/whatever, it is not intended as such. At worst, it is merely incredulity, conveyed through the inflexible format of an internet forum.Don't flatter yourself thinking anything to the contrary

Quote Originally Posted by murgel2006 View Post
    nah mate, you meant 4th!
    Oh god please can we have 4th again.

Quote Originally Posted by duffybear1988 View Post
    Oh god please can we have 4th again.
    To be frank, I think 8th is not to far off. Just a few things need to be done. Like reinstating firing arcs on vehicles ( "If you can not aim your gun at the target you can't shoot at it." done!)
    But the main thing is bringing back the hobby: customizing, kit-bashing, scratch building etc. as a major part i.e. the white Dwarf... And allowing third parties to the franchise for very little. The overprotection by the old GW leaders has hurt the hobby massively. IMO.

Chapter Master

House rules haven't been banned.

I'm wondering about switching blast weapons from nDx shots to roll to hit first, then inflict nDx hits instead. There's arguments either way, but some blast weapons seem over priced right now. Mind you, it's a bit too soon to decide with only one game under my belt

I like points better. Every time I play Power lever I end up having 100pts more or less than my opponent, and in smaller games (~1000-1500pts) a 100pt difference can be critical.

I want to go into a game thinking the armies start out evenly matched, not realize halfway through that my 50PL list is 90pts short of his 50PL list and that's why I'm losing so horribly. Knowing you're at a disadvantage at the start is one thing, it can make every time you do well more exciting, but finding out it's been stacked against you the whole time is dispiriting.

Chapter Master

Power Level is intended for WYSIWYG pick up and play and is a rough approximation for players to then build from. Is it necessary? Not really but for some is a nice to have.

So what is a good PL or points value, I've noted my local gw but what are tournaments or a general selection of people here playing?

At 50PL I find a game takes about 1.5 to 2hrs, at 75PL it can go longer to 2.5 or 3hrs