Thread: alphachicken's Black Templars

alphachicken's Black Templars

Hi everyone,

Wow, where to start, it has probably been 3 years since I painted anything, about 8 since I left playing 40k. I used to post things here and share with you all, and I recently saw Warseer being reborn and some familiar faces around today when I looked around. Made me really happy.

With the release of the new edition and finally some decent sized marines I thought I'd delve into painting again. Life changed a lot I have very limited time to paint nowadays, but I will try to dedicate good effort into each mini

In total I plan to paint 15 intercessors, 10 hellblasters, 10 reivers, 1 Emperors champion, 1 apotechary, 1 ancient and 1 chaplain.

I have painted 2 marines so far, and assambled&converted 3 more. The snap fit ones from DI are very boring and simple so I'm trying to add as much as I can with GS work etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-20170805-wa0003.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	231955

Name:	img-20170805-wa0002.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	231956

Name:	img-20170805-wa0000.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	231957

Name:	fb_img_1502126000603.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	231958

Name:	fb_img_1502125994142.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	231959

Expect some very slow progress on this Plog, but please do c&c, and nice to see you all again

Commander

Re: alphachicken's Black Templars

Looking ace so far, the champion is shaping up nicely and I like the candles and other personal touches.

Welcome back alphachicken,

Every PLOG has to start somewhere and your is off to a good one with those marines and the WIP with your green stuff work.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Looking good so far, the double handed powersword is especially nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Thank you for your kind words everyone,

I am still quite ''meh'' with greenstuff, but seem to be getting better, I made some final touches on this chap last night who was my first tabard try with the material, will base him when I have 2 more marines (basing is easier in batches for me)

Nitromors: That guy isn't the champion, I have special plans for the champion when I finish my first intercessor squad. This one will be the sword brethren-sergeant of the unit

Name:	img_37481.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	231961

Thanks for the comments, next up will be guy with the hood+tabard, hopefully I'll get him done till Sunday.
    A

Commander

I like the imperial eagle design on the tabard and I shall look forward to seeing this champion as well as the sergeant then

Hello everyone,

A little bit of update, I did some work over the weekend on these two, just the fine details remain now (eyes/decals/gold trims/cleanup)

Then I will base all 3, that will be the first squad done

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	232059

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	232060

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	232061

Name:	IMG_3832.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	232062

Coming along alphachicken.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Love these! Great conversions and really good colour balance.
    I find it really hard to make dark models look good from a distance (especially black) but these really pop thanks to the bronze trim around the panels.
    Really striking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Captain Brown,

I remember you saying years ago, it's not a race, it's a marathon. I'm getting married in two months and we're rebuilding the house etc and this is my way of meditation at the moment.

Funny enough, while all this rush made me really low on cash, and I can only buy a limited amount of models these days, this limitation made me more attached to them, and I'm trying to give them more time than I would normally do painting an army for tabletop purposes.

Thanks Zlatan!

It was my fiancees idea doing those trims, I actually finished the first model all black and she said it looks VERY boring. Then we looked at some imagery (Wallace collection in London has nice armour pieces from 15-16c, and I remembered the Nilfgaardian armour in Witcher series) with black armour having gold trims. It's a bit of a hassle to make them but like you said, it really helps the black armour

So a little update, I finished the two models shown earlier and started the 3 remaining bases, which I'll finish tonight. Here's a small photo of the first squad !

Name:	IMG_3980.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	232104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3981.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	232105

After that first squad will be done, and I'll do something fun, the apothecary. Unfortunately while I love the new model, 22.50 for a single model is too much for me, so there will be a lot of conversion work on a normal intercessor

Hope you all have a good day!,
    Chicken

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	232181

So the WIP apothecary here, he's pretty much done, just some cleaning up the greenstuff to do. I like what GW is doing lately, they really made a good comeback with their choices this year. But making every character model this expensive is no-go for me. I will try to make everything as economical as possible, with the intercessors + bits I have.

I based the model on my least favourite intercessor sergeant from the box, and went to town with the bits I have.

So this means I might have to get some more intercessors to finish up my 15 troops.

But that's for another day, it's painting time now

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

The bronze highlights are an inspired differentiator. Nicely played!

Great work, I really like the pose on the sergeant.

Hi everyone, after a big break, I'm back on the project. Got married in between and got back to real life

Finished the apot in between and started the second squad. I will be using the banner holding ancient model as the 2nd squads sergeant. Started him last night.

Also rebased everyone with the lovely mars crack paint from GW, which for someone whos been in the hobby for so long a miracle thing. Basing was always a hassle for me and this makes it so much easier

One problem I seem to be having is I'm running out of black templars transfers, and cannot find them anywhere anymore apart from the 16 sheet from FW. Would anyone be willing to trade them for something?

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	233400

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	233401

Name:	3.jpeg 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	233402

Next will be his flag and the rest of the intercessors.

Thanks for looking, big hugs to you all.
    A

Veteran Sergeant

I absolutely love the gold/bronze trim around the edges of the armour plates - how do you do it? I suspect if I tried that the marines would end up looking as if they had been painted by a pimp...

Also, how about that tiny script on the armour and some of the parchment? I've often seen stuff like that but nobody seems to have explained how to do it - is there any chance you could share your secrets?

Hi jbeil,

They are all freehand drawn by me. It is not that hard when you practice a bit, but I must stress having a good brush (00 Winsor Newton series7) and watered down paint that flows well. The script is just again watered down white just scribbled with the brush carefully

The golds I do in 2 paints, one is balthazar gold (? I think) , other is the lighter layer one on the edges. I would look at some old armour in museums and see where they put the gold edges etc.

I hope that helps.