Thread: Vichy French for bolt action

Vichy French for bolt action

After a few weeks of staring at websites and army lists I made the first leap to building a rather different army for Bolt Action.

Playing Vichy French. In bolt action etc.
    Pros- small scale, multiple locations, flexible use, interesting figures.
    Cons- small range, no/ little armour.

Background
    France went to war in 1939 a nation traumatised by the previous war. Millions killed, millions more maimed in body and mind, vast swathes of France destroyed or made barren through the poison of war.
    The war fractured French society. Communists and fascists, monarchists and Buonapartists jousted in their opposition to the 3rd Republic.
    When the Germans invaded in May 1940 France was quickly abandoned by its ally, it's disordered and scattered forces were quickly overcome. Then two stabs in the back! First, Mussolini invades Southern France then the British Navy attacks the French fleet at Mers-el-kebir.
    France was defeated. peace was signed by its legitimate government which prevented German occupation of the bulk of the country and Empire.
    Only a few traitors sided with Perfidious Albion against France.
    French Army forces around the world are under threat and determined to prove that France's armies still know how to fight!

Usually, I buy everything one one big splurge of cash. And am presented with a mountain of plastic and metal. Sometimes I plough through and complete the project. More often I become daunted,or quickly find it a chore to paint or base etc. Rushing painting I'd looked forward to, or not enjoying the experience.
    This time it will be different. Small purchases, each completed before the next is bought. (At least, that is the plan)
    To this end I ordered 3 packs of Perry Vichy French: riflemen advancing, riflemen skirmishing, lmgs. Together they will give me two squads of 8 and a two man junior officer and assistant.

The plan, as it stands, is to add further riflemen squads using the senaglese and foreign legion figures from Perry and HMG mortar and Artillary models. If all goes well then Warlords upcoming plastic Char b will be my big bad armoured fist.
    1, 3000pt 28mm soviets bolt action all complete
    2, Romans in 6mm for warmaster ancients/hail Caesar - 1000pts partially painted
    3, Seleucid 6mm for warmaster ancients/ hail Caesar - 3000 painted and based
    4. Perry plastics for the lion rampant - complete
    5, 28mm ecw/ 30 years war army for pike and shotte- needs reprinting chipped models, rebasing and repiking, and rescuing horse from plastic/lead graveyard.
    6. 2000pts Imperial fists- getting yellower

Re: Vichy French for bolt action

Looking forward to follow how this develops.

And I use the method of buying and painting in smäller groups to, so I don't drown in unpainted minis and half-finished projekts. It has worked pretty well so far.

First batch have arrived from Perry. As one might expect from the Perry Brothers, they are beautiful miniatures.
    I have fixed them to Pennies and cleaned up the, very little, excess metal and prepped for undercoating.
    I will start attaching some pictures, as soon I have something more than what might be found on the Perry's website.
    ( I am working in the few moments when my 3 year old foster child isn't destroying everything in his path!!)
    This might mean my progress may be somewhat slow.
    5, 28mm ecw/ 30 years war army for pike and shotte- needs reprinting chipped models, rebasing and repiking, and rescuing horse from plastic/lead graveyard.

This is a cool concept. I look forward to seeing more.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	232285
    First batch painting in progress.
    Beautiful figures, and planning my next purchases

The Perry's do have a knack for producing natural looking models; very nice looking batch there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

That's a cool little project there.

Where did Vichy France actually fight mostly? I thought it was in North Africa, maybe the middle east?