Thread: Star Wars Legion: a table top miniatures game

Star Wars Legion: a table top miniatures game

Fantasy Flight Games is continuing it's push into miniature wargames territory with a new Star Wars miniatures game: Star Wars legion. The game will be available late this year early 2018;retail for $90/70GBP; contains 33 figures (rebel soldiers and stormtroopers) and will include 2 jetbikes for the Stormtroopers and a 1 man walker for the rebels. More info, lots of pictures from GenCon and a video available on Wargames, News and Terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Re: Star Wars Legion: a table top miniatures game

Looks promising. Game mechanics will no doubt be good, just a bit worried about the upgrade cards and what that may mean for the future of the game (gotta catch 'em all, and possibly multiples of some, just to create the desired list).

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Interesting though, the figures are "heroic" 30mm whereas the Imperial Assault mins are 28mm. So, unfortunately, no mixing and matching. I was actually toying with the idea of buying Imperial Assault but now I may hold off for the new game.

Would people and droids not come in all sizes and shapes? How can 2mm make such a big difference? The variation should be realistic.
    I can understand it, if one is heroic and the other is truescale, that is impossible to combine.

This game has no chance with me due to the material used, I just hate that stuff. I wonder how it works on jet bikes and thin legged walkers at all.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 5, added to my collection: 4

Demo game on Team Covenant's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9INF-tOEUA Looks pretty good.

As for the scale issue, it's a shame the minis won't match, although I imagine they won't look too bad all together from a distance - especially when weird aliens are involved.

- Ad finem temporum -

I will probably pick up some of the models so I can use them in other Sci-fi game like Tomorrow's War, Rampant Stars, Rogue Stars, Etc. I am just not a fan of FFG's game design style.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Would people and droids not come in all sizes and shapes? How can 2mm make such a big difference? The variation should be realistic.
    I can understand it, if one is heroic and the other is truescale, that is impossible to combine.

This game has no chance with me due to the material used, I just hate that stuff. I wonder how it works on jet bikes and thin legged walkers at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Coen View Post
    Demo game on Team Covenant's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9INF-tOEUA Looks pretty good.

As for the scale issue, it's a shame the minis won't match, although I imagine they won't look too bad all together from a distance - especially when weird aliens are involved.
    I saw a picture comparing a couple of the minis: the SWL mini was both taller and burlier. As c-coen says some should mix ok but I think Stormtroopers from one game would look a bit odd beside Stormtroopers from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I saw a picture comparing a couple of the minis: the SWL mini was both taller and burlier. As c-coen says some should mix ok but I think Stormtroopers from one game would look a bit odd beside Stormtroopers from the other.
    Obligatory quote: aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?

Sorry... could not resist

Not my cup of tea due to the lack of opportunities for customisation/unique colour schemes.

Then again this was also why I never got into LotR, and that seemed to do pretty well for itself. For a while anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

There has been a lot of debate on some other forums that this may impact GW sales of 40K. I personally think not as they are different games and different universes. Some folks will get into both and perhaps there might be a few less 40K games played at some independent stores and some gaming groups. I am not planning on getting it as I have too much GW stuff already and Mrs Captain Brown would frown (even if she does like Star Wars).

My two cents,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown View Post
    There has been a lot of debate on some other forums that this may impact GW sales of 40K. I personally think not as they are different games and different universes. Some folks will get into both ...
    I agree- I don't see this making a significant impact on GW.

Expansion packs are available for pre-order at Element Games.

Star Wars legion movement details posted by FFG.

Gawd FFG loves its template and accessory heavy games...

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

I have never played a FFG miniatures game (unless you include Talisman) so this is my first view into that.

As somebody who has played X-Wing, Armada and Imperial Assault, I can't say I mind. Movement templates are easy to get in place and provide immediate clarity as to what can and can't be done compared to measuring tapes. Tokens again are a clear reminder of what abilities a figure or unit may have available (putting them down with an ability, removing them upon spending). Special dice are mainly a pain if not enough are provided in the core set (I'd rather have a more expensive starter set than having to purchase an extra dice pack), but again offer clarity through combinations of symbols and different values that would otherwise be replicated by extensive tables. Different types of dice are key to the various aforementioned games, and subtle differences (one providing more accuracy, another critical hits or reliable damage) really add much to the game, give different units or weapons other tactical roles and alter the feel for the better. Much can be said about their release strategies, but FFG are really rather good at creating games that are intuitive, light on rules but with a great depth in gameplay that becomes increasingly clear the more you play them. Compared to the others, this game may be the least original from what I've seen (while the others function completely differently, I recognise some clear parts from all three in Legion), but if the end result is half as good as any of these, it should be interesting. I have quite some love for older clunkier game designs, but they manage a right feel for a setting with very elegant systems GW could only dream of. Armada shows this well compared to Battlefleet Gothic and the difference between Legion and 40k is likely to be much greater.

- Ad finem temporum -

I am not a fan of the custom dice approach or the cards for every upgrade/CCG/collectable miniature approach. In addition, many of their games are way to token heavy.

However, their games typically are very playable and have clear rules with subtlty to them.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Fantasy Flight Games has released some more info on Star Wars Legion; this time regarding the battlefield.