Thread: Chaos by Give_me_a_d

Chaos by Give_me_a_d

A few of you reading this might remember that before pledging myself to the Greater Good I was an arch heretic in thrall to the powers of Chaos and in particular Nurgle. With the advent of a new edition of WH40K and Chaos and specifically Death Guard getting serious attention from GW I thought I would start up a new thread and return to my dark past.

First of all a bit of a 'way back machine' recap of my previous work. In the early days I painted a lot of Plaguebearers but also some other stuff. Here is a photo from those early days:

More recently I branched out into chaos space marines, starting with some 1Ksons and a Defiler in addition to more daemons:

Before breaking off to serve the Greater Good I did more CSM, including Death Guard and Warp Talons, and daemons including Plague Drones:

However, this isn't meant to be a nostalgia trip. What I will post here will include the Death Guard from Dark Imperium and whatever disgusting new releases there are on the horizon as well as anything from a huge backlog of grey plastic and dull coloured metal (yes, it goes that far back) that takes my fancy. I may even revisit some of my previous work to see if I can improve on what I did 5+ years ago.Attachment 232213
    Last edited by give_me_a_d; 25-08-2017 at 17:42.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Chaos by Give_me_a_d

Do you still have your recipe for the Warp Talons? I've been trying for ages to find a scheme that I like with them, since they're so god-damn fiddly and baroque, but yours is the first scheme I've seen without lots of trim work on it that looks good.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work!

Some real classics here and I love the variety of paint schemes; cohesive forces are nice too, but Chaos is one of the few armies that can really get away with a mismatch of units bound together in hatred and bloodlust.

Ditto on the Warp Talons, cool unique scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Thanks jbeil and Denny, glad you like what you see.

To pick up on the Warp Talons paint scheme here are a couple of more detailed shots:

On the scheme the purple edging is based on Naggaroth Night, drybrush Liche Purple and highlighted with Genestealer Purple. The 'insides' of the armour are a darkish grey of some kind(?), possible Codex Grey with a Baal Red wash. The blue talons etc start with a Mordian Blue as a good base for the main colour Ice Blue. The Ice Blue is then highlighted with Space Wolves Grey, quite roughly really. Then a wash with Asurmen Blue, quite heavy, trying to concentrate in the middle of talons etc. After that its a careful highlight with white and their done. I'm not sure what the tooth bits on the jump pack are painted with. That's all a bit of a mishmash of GW paints from across the ages but there will be modern equivalents for the old ones I'm sure.

I've been working on some of the Dark Imperium contents starting with the poxwalkers. I'm not that taken with all the tentacle and horn bits so a lot of them are coming off. I might get a chance to take a pic or two over the weekend.

I've been sticking plastic together pretty much every chance I get and have put together half the Poxwalkers and 4 of the Death Guard marines from the new box. I'll be carrying on and will hopefully have some pics for you soon. I've been cutting of most of the horn type growths from the Poxwalkers in particular and adding more damage/ decay to the armour of the marines.

Although I'm very much looking forward to all the new stuff coming very soon for the Death Guard I've decided to wait a little while before I commit to buying any of it so I can see exactly what we get in terms of the range of models. So far I sure that I won't bother with the Plague Brethren, as 25 for 3 models is to much if you ask me. I'll probably end up doing a big order some time in October, assuming the remaining kits come in next few weeks.

One issue that I find myself in two minds about is whether I should base my new chaos minis on desert bases like my Tau, or stick with the old, darker bases. What do you think? I really like my desert bases but I would potentially have a lot of work ahead to re-base all my Chaos Marines. The other issue of course is whether to re-base the marines on 32mm bases the same as the new ones.

I like the way the Plague Brethren come packaged with the extra content, like the designer's notes and the John Blanche art cards, but agree that the price is steep. Given how many new kits are coming out for the Death Guard, I am with you on waiting a few weeks to see what else is to come.

Looking forward to seeing your unique take on the poxwalkers and DG marines.

Not sure on the basing question. You might want to go lighter desert bases if your Nurgle stuff is going to incorporate earth tones. That should help the finished product pop a bit.
    + I rehosted the pics for my Lost & The Damned project log! +
    + Still need to upload pics for the old Orks and Emperor Titans project logs... +

Quote Originally Posted by Eater of Small Things View Post
    I like the way the Plague Brethren come packaged with the extra content, like the designer's notes and the John Blanche art cards, but agree that the price is steep. Given how many new kits are coming out for the Death Guard, I am with you on waiting a few weeks to see what else is to come.

Looking forward to seeing your unique take on the poxwalkers and DG marines.

Not sure on the basing question. You might want to go lighter desert bases if your Nurgle stuff is going to incorporate earth tones. That should help the finished product pop a bit.
    Thanks Eater of Small Things for your comments. I agree with you on the bases; the contrast between the Nurgle colours and the desert bases will make the models stand out a bit more. To illustrate this I've gone through my old pics and come up with these:

The top pic is Epidemius who I painted ages ago but is still probably my best painting of a Nurgle daemon. The next pic shows three of my most recently painted plaguebearers, although still several years ago now. The last pic is of my Nurgle CSM daemon prince. All three pics show the sort of paint scheme that I have done for Nurgle in the past and how they blend into the bases a bit. I'm thinking of trying something slightly brighter this time round but it won't be radically different. I still think desert bases would help make the models stand out.

Good looking models dude. Glad I stumbled across this blog. Being a chaos fan myself, I like what you have done with the bases.

Any ideas on how you will paint your Dark Imperium set? With the new Death Guard book out i'm tempted to do a detachment of them as allies for my Word Bearers but can't think of a good paint scheme myself.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Good looking models dude. Glad I stumbled across this blog. Being a chaos fan myself, I like what you have done with the bases.

Any ideas on how you will paint your Dark Imperium set? With the new Death Guard book out i'm tempted to do a detachment of them as allies for my Word Bearers but can't think of a good paint scheme myself.
    Hi blackcherry, thanks I'm glad you like what you see. Your question gives me an excuse to pick out another pic from my archive to show how I've tackled Death Guard before:

These were some of the most recent CSM models that I painted something like 3 years ago before going all Greater Good. They are mostly based on the old metal plague marine models that have to be about 15 years old now. I can see that one of the plasma gunners is from the slightly later havocs set, which was probably circa 2004. The icon bearer is built from plastic CSM bits plus some other junk that I had in my bits box.

I'm not sure I want to do the new Death Guard exactly that same way, not least of all because I remember these old ones were quite a lot of work, but I don't suppose it will be radically different.

A couple of times I have said I would try to get some pics of the new models that I'd put together so here are the Poxwalkers:

As you can see I cut most of the horns off or reduced them plus I've started to add a few bits, although still more to do on that front. The second set will be worked up in much the same way but with a few weapon/arm swaps etc to ensure each is unique. I'm holding off completing all the DI Death Guard as I think I might want to convert a few of them into the various new characters the DG have. The next thing I'll work on will either be the rest of the Poxwalkers or the Bloat Drone.