Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Games closing shop

Spartan Games closing shop

Spartan Games, makers of Dystopian Wars, Firesrtorm Armada as well as Halo Fleet Battles and Halo Ground Command is ceasing trading. Rather sad to see a company that seemed to be doing well go under.

Announcement here.

I just bought both Halo boxed games last year. I might sniff around and see if I can pick up some other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Re: Spartan Games closing shop

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    Spartan Games, makers of Dystopian Wars, Firesrtorm Armada as well as Halo Fleet Battles and Halo Ground Command is ceasing trading. Rather sad to see a company that seemed to be doing well go under.

Announcement here.

I just bought both Halo boxed games last year. I might sniff around and see if I can pick up some other stuff.
    Wow, thats surprising.

I'm amazed they didnt approach other companies for a buyout/partnership. The physical and IP assets alone would be a worthwhile investment for many.

Hell, GW could have picked this up cheap if only to have control of a competing brand & IP.

If i was in the business i would be jumping at the chance to scoop them up.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Read this earlier, I'm certainly glad I looked at the 100% renders on their last Kickstarter and decided to wait for the release.

If anyone is interested in getting into this industry picking up the IP for one of their 3 in-house games (Dystopian, Firestorm, Uncharted Seas) would not be that expensive.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

I am not a thread starter, maybe best to get a general discussion thread about this. Yesterday Tor Gaming (Relics) closed store as well.

On topic: Spartan games had huge problems with continuity and game support. I can understand that there must be sales to drive a company. Spartan Games did not make a boxed game without add-on content, so there must be ongoing active and visible support. As a customer I did not feel or see that. All I saw was new add on product all the time and no real connection from A to B.

I am sad to see FSA go like that for now. I really liked the Directorate as a faction. I do wish the team of Spartan Games all the best and hope for a future for their games.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 5, added to my collection: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    I am not a thread starter, maybe best to get a general discussion thread about this. Yesterday Tor Gaming (Relics) closed store as well.

On topic: Spartan games had huge problems with continuity and game support. I can understand that there must be sales to drive a company. Spartan Games did not make a boxed game without add-on content, so there must be ongoing active and visible support. As a customer I did not feel or see that. All I saw was new add on product all the time and no real connection from A to B.

I am sad to see FSA go like that for now. I really liked the Directorate as a faction. I do wish the team of Spartan Games all the best and hope for a future for their games.
    I saw some demos, and they were nice models, but i got a very "disconnected" feel about them.

If i was looking to get into the industry...this is where I'd start.

Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

There has been speculation that they paid (or were paying) a heavy price for the Halo IP. The whole Halo endeavor was a gamble: 15mm scale for the ground combat game and a fleet battles game. I think that natural assumption would have been a 28mm skirmish game as not only is Halo a first person shooter game, but it is part of the generation whose introduction to war gaming would have been through Games Workshop.

15mm?? Wow that was not a good idea.

28mm always safer bet, if not for conversion and "counts as" purposes when crossing games.

I can see thinking you dont want to ho head to head with GW... But 15mm is odd for many casual/newbie players.

15mm makes sense for a smaller company because of the integration of vehicles into the game. How big would a warthog be on the table, or any of the Covenant tanks?

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

Probably not much bigger than a rhino, and the covenant items not much bigger than some Forgeworld vehicles.

15mm makes sense from a wargames perspective; the speculation is that it doesn't make sense when considering the target market.

There is an update from Spartan games. Legal boundaries and no product if not already shipped is the short version.

Back to the ongoing discussion. None of the original games of Spartan Games was in 28mm. So from a company perspective the market they knew was at a different scale anyhow.

Dystopian Legion was the only 28mm scaled game and it suffered from the release politic. Huge flush and no backup, that is what customers came to expect and complained about. I do not know the numbers and it might have been impossible to run a gaming company on small updates over time at their scale.
    My experience with FSA was an optical redesign with every iteration. There were reasons that would have been good for customers as well (modularity), but that belongs on a plastic sprue in my opinion. Bottom line, it felt as if new product was only made for the company, not for the customer.

I bought the second starter box (Directorate/Aquans + Overlords), anything after that looked very different for both factions, that starter already looked strange in the fleets I had. Product aside, it came with the Overlords and the promise of a developing story ... that was already missing in FSA taskforce.
    Latest was a Kickstarter for 3.0 with the return of Saurians and the Plague, none of that was Overlords but both well established in the lore. I have no idea what happened to the Overlords or their story line. Campaigns would have worked for me, we just never got beyond the flush to sell new product.

Yeah, I get the feeling Spartan was all Tactical and no Startegy when it came to running the business.

If I had the scratch, I would totally pick-up D-wars and run with it.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Lot a game companies out there now, competition for a finite amount of money. Companies will start and disappear. Disappointing for those who jumped in with both feet. But eBay means will still be able to find models if you want to continue.

My two cents,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Relics looks like its been saved - bought by TTCombat.

(off topic, but there wasn't a separate tor gaming thread, so highjacked this one instead!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    28mm always safer bet, if not for conversion and "counts as" purposes when crossing games.
    Yeah. The scale would have also meant the miniatures appealed to collecting-only types who wanted to own a representation of their favoruite characters from the game. A base of five 15mm infantry is only appealing to gamers.

A shame, I was always interested in Firestorm Armada, but something always held me back.

Just received this mail:

Hi

We have some great news from Warcradle Studios!

We are proud to announce that we have acquired all rights and materials relating to the Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada and Uncharted Seas settings.

Dystopian Wars, Dystopian Legions, Armoured Clash, Firestorm Armada, Firestorm Planetfall and Uncharted Seas were created by the team at Spartan Games and we are excited to now be able to explore these settings further. We will also be developing and expanding on a large number of exciting scenic products to support these ranges.

We are actively working to bring the games to a wide audience from next year. Through Warcradle Studios, Wayland Games will be investing in all aspects of the design, development and supply of these worlds.

We are committed to producing an exciting range of new plastic and resin miniatures to support the growth of our games. These will build on the established releases as well as introduce new narrative and competitive gaming opportunities.

We are planning in-store organised play support for our games as well as a range of exciting events planned throughout 2018 and beyond.

Look out for our announcements of new products and show attendance in the coming weeks!

Take a look at our announcement on Beasts of War!
    And Relics from Tor Gaming seems to be safe as well with TTCombat.

Wayland Games (Warcradle Studios) also saving Wild West Exodus and The Troll Trader (TTCombat) saving Carnavale seems to consolidate brands with experienced trading partners.

EDIT: BOW link, an interesting video there.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 26-09-2017 at 18:02.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

They filled out two of my favourite niches splendidly. Naval warfare in fantasy and space. Hats off to a good showing! Had hoped for them to continue. Good to hear of Warcradle's acquisition.

I guess no one is going to pick up the Halo license. I can't really blame them; if GW thinks their IP is gold then you can imagine what Microsoft thinks about their's.

Chapter Master

It depends on the terms Spartan agreed to with MS. There may have been a clause that rights revert rather than be available for reselling, or extra fees are involved (since its MS' license to sell, not Spartan's).

Though personally I wouldn't think most companies would find it worthwhile. I was certainly puzzled when Spartan found yet another way to distract resources away from their main projects.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    It depends on the terms Spartan agreed to with MS. There may have been a clause that rights revert rather than be available for reselling, or extra fees are involved (since its MS' license to sell, not Spartan's).

Though personally I wouldn't think most companies would find it worthwhile. I was certainly puzzled when Spartan found yet another way to distract resources away from their main projects.
    Halo was (and still is?) a big IP that could help a fledgling company grow. I'm not surprised they snapped it up given the chance.

It's a shame to see Spartan Games go as I was a fan of their take on naval warfare. I hope all those employed by them well in finding future work.

Perhaps we'll start to see a slow conglomeration of game systems in the next few years, as smaller companies with popular games strike out business wise.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast