0 0%

1 25.00%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

1 25.00%

Thread: September 2017 White Dwarf Feedback Thread

September 2017 White Dwarf Feedback Thread

It's the 30th anniversary of Warhammer 40,000! And anniversaries have been going really well in White Dwarf lately...

For more general comments about White Dwarf, there is the General White Dwarf Feedback Thread.

If you post the score you have given to the current White Dwarf in the thread, please explain why as this is useful and interesting for Warseer members and others reading the thread.

Please do not criticise people for posting their score and views about White Dwarf; we are all entitled to voice our opinions without the fear of them being criticised.

Re: September 2017 White Dwarf Feedback Thread

I have... issues... with the cover art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new fists.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	232307

It's obviously based upon Sibbick's cover of Rogue Trader

Name:	Sibbick Fists.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	232308

Is it supposed to be a depiction of the same event?

If it isn't intended to be the same event, then it's incredibly uninspired - both from a compositional point of view, and from a background perspective.

The Crimson Fists are on Rynn's World which is being invaded by Orks (again), and they're making a last stand (again). Fine, we get it they made a last stand on Rynn's World and that was their big thing - why are we now re-hashing that again?

The layout of the piece effectively directly copies the original version - Marine with raised fist and severed ork head in centre looking left, tattered banner to the right, guy dropping his gun on the left, centre bottom a Marine firing to the right, next to him a fallen Marine with no helmet, everyone on a small hill, silhouettes of ork walkers in the background.

Again, I get that it's to some degree a re-working of the original, and so would be expected to be compositionally similar, but this isn't the first time the same (or a very similar) event has been depicted; and Gallagher's cover of the 3rd edition Codex: Space Marines, for example, didn't feel the need to re-tread old ground so closely:

Name:	Gallagher Fists.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	232306

It looks like a lack of imagination and/or reliance on past glories.

If it is intended to be the same event, then why are there Primaris Marines in there?!

I can see the argument that it's a symbolic link between the present and the past of 40K, yadda yadda yadda, but that would be incredibly disrespectful to the background of the universe - there weren't any Primaris Marines present during the battle for Rynn's World, and inserting them into a 'historical' scene smacks of a lack of care for the integrity of the universe and its three decades background and canon.

I don't know; perhaps I'm over thinking it - perhaps it's not one of either disrespectful or unimaginative - but after the appalling way the 40th anniversary of White Dwarf was covered back in May, I'm finding it difficult to give White Dwarf or Games Workshop more generally the benefit of a more charitable interpretation.

Other than that, I'm sure the issue is probably great

Chapter Master

Its not the same event, its about a battle report that occurs in the issue. Rynn's world is caught in a second invasion and Gulliman is rushing to save them with his Primaris in tow. They break through a Chaos blockade (battle in issue) and then the Primaris arrive to reinforce the Crimson fists resulting in a similar incident to that which occurred over 200 years ago.

The art was a tribute to the original. Its okay, the dreadnoughts in the background are now stompas, which matches with the need for everything to be bigger (!). Whilst its a nice shot (and the large poster freebie is okay) I felt the CGI faces lack the grit and desperation of the original, nor the bloody toll (count the bodies!) in Gallaghers bit. But on the plus side its a bit more realistic in appearance and matches with the artwork of most the new heresy books.
    Warhammer Armies: Empire, Night Goblins, Dwarves, Daemons of Chaos
    40K Armies: Chaos, Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Tau
    Epic Armies: Imperial Guard, Ultramarines, Orks, Adeptus Titanicus.
    BFG Forces: Imperial Navy, Chaos.
    See them all here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...-of-everything

Dont know what you expect, 8th has not been a hotbed for originality or inspiration. Its HH markII, so you get Rynns world last stand mark II.
    If you like the Horus Heresy, mediocre painting and terrible camera work, check out my plog! For The Emperor and Sanguinius!

Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****
    Guild up to join the Mat Ward Defence League!

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

it was an ok issue.

40k recap was average, but nice for the newer people in the hobby to see how and where the game has developed from.

battle reports were fun. i was hoping to see a bit more from mortarion but guessing he will be in next months issue

tale of 4 gamers has now finished, but i think this needs a bit of a revamp or leaving for a year or 2. would like to see them playing more games with them over the course of the articles. explain to people how you collect and play a growing army.

7 for me
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code