Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rogue Trader: Choose You Own Adventurers

Re: Rogue Trader: Choose You Own Adventurers

Time for another installment courtesy of axiom.

Choose Your Own Adventurers #13: Phineas, the Navigator

According to Wikipedia (on the subject of Theosophical beliefs) "humans had in far ancient times an actual third eye in the back of the head with a physical and spiritual function. Over time, as humans evolved, this eye atrophied and sunk into what today is known as the pineal gland...by extending an "etheric tube" from the third eye, it is possible to develop microscopic and telescopic vision."

I suspect on the basis of this, and other spiritual beliefs, the concept of the Imperium's Navigators was born - after all, they have a third eye and can see weird stuff!

The Adventurers range gives us one of two Navigators that Citadel have released (the other being a much more recent Forgeworld event miniature). The Navigator possesses some of the weird anatomy referred to in the Rogue Trader rulebook - the spindly legs, the oversized hands, the bulbous head and protruding eyes. He's an ugly misfit wearing a bizarre costume that suggests wealth with all the flounces and frills. In short, a perfect representation of a Navigator.

My version of the gangly fellow is Phineas - Inquisitor Clousseau's personal Navigator from House Saq D'os. I decided that I wanted his warp eye to be concealed, so modified the figure with a sculpted bandanna. In terms of colours, I wanted to reflect my previous Navigator, Ryaph, from the same house, so adopted the same black with flashes of colour.

Navigator Phineas sports a natty little fur stole, along with his bows and puffed sleeves!

Having completed the last member of Clousseau's companions, I can also reveal the display base I made to show them off. This is made simply from an oval movement tray and display plinth. I added some resin barricades to the movement tray, then sanded the whole thing, before painting and adding some static grass and tufts.

I also added a few cables and chains as a little additional piece of visual interest.

Hopefully the group of figures hang together nicely - they're an eclectic, exotic and interesting group - ideal for an Inquisitorial retinue!

Lovely work; the five companions fit well together and with their display base.

Thanks Lost Egg!

Choose Your Own Adventurers – Episode 14: Necromunda Mauretania, Space Amazon

Necromunda’s just been re-rereleased, and there’s a piece of art floating around in White Dwarf and Warhammer Community that doesn’t correspond to any of the miniatures released yet, but is a lovely call back to a couple of 1980s classics.

Necromunda Mauretania makes all her decisions on the hoof.

The hoofed mad-haired Amazon in stockings is a leitmotif Games Workshop trot out occasionally – much like female miniatures. Let’s chart a quick family tree.

John Blanche’s Amazonia Gothique on the cover of White Dwarf 79 (July 1986).

This piece of art was made into the LE15 Kinky Chaosette miniature released a couple of months afterwards. The version on the left was a conversion by John Blanche himself, rather than a commercially available miniature. I’d love to know where the gun component came from.

White Dwarf 82 Amazonia Gothique miniatures (October 1986).

The Amazon with a gun concept did appear as a commercially available miniature a couple of years later, sporting a paint scheme very similar to the John Blanche conversion. She’s an Amazon, but she’s in space.

RT601 Space Amazon Adventurers, White Dwarf 99 (March 1988).

This Space Amazon turns up in those exact same colours, zebra stripe, leopard spots, piebald cow blobs in the John Blanche art compilation a year later. Sto’Knor Macekiller has painted his copy to match this, right down to the polka dot neckerbow.

Space Amazon by John Blanche, from Ratspike (1989).

Flashing forward to 2017, past some other possible miniature incarnations of the Amazon, and the cheeky nostalgia monkeys at Games Workshop re-relaunch Necromunda with this character popping up in the promotional art teasers.

Interestingly, I think the yellow patterns on her armour are meant to evoke the shape of the shield from the original Amazonia Gothique. I hope we see a miniature based on the this concept! Until then, I have painted the Rogue Trader incarnation based on the new (and the original) artwork.

Mauretania and the Claw Nebula pirates in the Jericho Ironworks on Necromunda.

The next episode of Choose Your Own Adventurers will be brought to you be sho3box.

Great stuff Curis.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Lovely paint job and a trip down memory lane, thanks for sharing.

Excellent way to breathe life to the old and quite characterful early Citadel 40k minis. Kudos to you sir!

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Has anyone from GW contacted you about showcasing these in WD or on the WHC site? These are truly excellent examples of both how great the old models were, and where the inspiration for the new batches comes from. It helps that they're painted beautifully!

Thanks for all the comments! Be great to get them on the Warhammer Community sight, I need to work out exactly who to contact there, Engel.

Choose You Own Adventurers - Episode #15: Rex O’Thermic, Squat Engineer

Assuming possession of two functioning hands, only a weirdo wears a single glove.

See?

I decided to paint the Squat Engineer to match the Squat Miner (as seen last time), which means that both of them match the Construction Crew that I have been painting on and off for the last few years. Although I assumed that the Squat Engineer and Squat Miner make up a paired set, I’m less certain having now painted them both.

The Miner, as you may or may not remember, is dressed in a similar quilted jacket to those worn by most of the Squat range, although his turned down boots look like they could be waders or something similar. But essentially he is a familiar looking squat holding a drill bit.

The Engineer wears a onesie that looks like an environment suit or similar, so he doesnt match. That isn’t exactly fascinating information I’ll admit, but having stared at the little guy during my free time for a few days, I have decided that it’s interesting enough to mention in a blog post.

On a related note, the Squat Engineer seems to have been overcome with an urgent need to use binoculars while either dressing or undressing, with his front zipper fully open and only one glove present. Who hasn’t been in that situation, amirite?

Rex now joins the long list of non-combatant figures that can be used for all sorts of scenario driven plot points in my games. He might have privileged info about the construction of an “impenetrable” fortress or similar. Or he might be trying to blackmail a character that he has been spying on via his binoculars, like in a sixties spy adventure. Engineers can be blackmailing spies too.

Thanks for looking!

This is a joy to watch Thanks for sharing.
    / SDKFZ

Defender of teh Wastes DarthSte's Avatar

Loving this plog, I've been in the hobby for 30 years but have only ever seen the black and white "catalogue" images of most of these models. Brought a smile to my face seeing them painted so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2