Thread: I played the full version of Divinity:Original Sin 2 now...

I played the full version of Divinity:Original Sin 2 now...

Heyhey, FINALLY DOS2 is out of early access. I was hyped, and I don't think I like it much. Probably my main problems with it are just because of me being me rather than it being the game's fault.

.) My main problem being the tone. First game was fun and looked nice. Second game looks nice, but feels miserable. The thing is basically the same as you're stranded on a beach, collect shells and then go on to the first settlement. With the exception that in DOS2 the island and settlement is an internment camp. There's mutilation left and right, dead kids, everybody's being a ****. Just makes me feel miserable really.
    There's an Elf lady running about, being miserable. Okay. Next to her is a little kid crying for her mother. Of course you want to help the kid. But nope, you can't. Each time you pass you hear the kid crying, you can't do a thing. Also: In DOS1 if there's a murder it's a thing. It feels like a thing. In DOS2 so far peeps just stab each other for no appearant reason, it's just for effect. I do not care for this. The ONLY friendly characters are complete idiots and are portrayed as such.

.) Yeah, there's multiple races now. I don't mind that they added all this stuff (those undead seem so incredibly stretch-goal-y....), but did the game NEED all the racism? It's not even subtle or interesting, it's just "hello, I'm an elf. You're a human. I don't like you, pig. Go away, I won't talk to you.". You talk to the same NPC with an elf the whole talk starts...

.) Why does everybody have to talk that bloody much? Each NPC comes with a TON of talk, then you have to consider the answers, then more talk, etc., usually with the effect that it changed or established NOTHING.

.) This probably is more our fault than anything, but we're playing on tactician difficulty and with underwhelming classes (Wayfarer and Rogue). So every single bloody fight is just lots of loading and stupid puzzling and all of that.

So far it feels like a complete slog in a world full of ********. Not quite what I look for in a game. I'm 13 bloody hours in I just saw. It's insane. It's all a mix of boredom, busywork and dying. Sure, sure, this sounds like 'you're not playing it right', 'you suck' and 'maybe it's not for you'. ********. I liked DOS1 mostly. Characters were fun, fights were mostly fun. This is not so far. But let's see. Maybe it gets better after the bloody concentration camp and I hope that NPCs get more normal and less chatty about how **** the world is.

The thing is that when you start playing a fantasy roleplaynig game you want to go out and help people, make things better, get xp and loot to make bigger things better. Now the first island is full of miserable people who have problems. But you can't help them. Pretty much nobody can or will be helped. Sick lady sits in a tent, I walk up, "hey lady, can I help you?" - "Noooo, I want to die so the people running the camp won't have the fun of killing me, go away.". I happen to have a spell to cure the sickness, I cast it on her, she still say she's sick, she wants to be sick, tells me to **** off. That's the end of that angle.

Also: i was told that this takes place centuries after the first game. Lame. If you want to do a sequel, do that. If you want to change the gaming world, make a different world. That's cool. Final Fantasy does it all the time, nobody's bothered. But that whole "it's hundreds of years later" always feels like a cheap cop-out to be able to introduce HUGE changes, but still retain the name rights and some references for the sake of the franchise.

Chapter Master

Re: I played the full version of Divinity:Original Sin 2 now...

To be honest, I didn't like the original much. I didn't like the games approach to dialogue, the tone was either off or strangely inconsistent, and either the writing or the translation was off.
    Mechanically, while I like turn based games, I found the movement and pathing interacted poorly with the environment (got screwed over too many times with movement).
    But the big thing was the design of quests and the like. Sometimes the fights just weren't viable with my skills or the order I came across them, and multiple times I just got stuck because I failed my 'read designer's mind' check, and either didn't find/bring key items, or simply didn't correctly divine what the intent was. Or lacked a key skill, and had to leave and power level (assuming there was anything accessible to power level from)

But I've been keeping an eye on this one, just to see if it surpassed the original. Various youtube series have started up and... yeah. Pass. Been watching a coop with Northern Lion and Mathas (and its useful to see at least one non- 'expert gamer' involved), and at episode three there already complaining about the beginning (the boat) was a slog.

Sadly, this one looks like more of the same, with even more specialized abilities, and some really awful design choices (the lizards look like skinned, mutated chicken-giraffe hybrids, and the elves I've seen are oddly proportioned)
    Plus the setting is a weird mix of overly generic and weirdly strange and unexplained. I'm not sure why it matters why there aren't any gods, or what this source thing is, or why it matters since people do magic anyway.

For OS2, one thing that shows up that is huge turn off is the dialogue. For some reason they decided the game needed a narrator to act as an interpreter between you, your PCs and the NPCs. Not only does it wander off on descriptions in its own right, it also steps in so effectively you are picking dialogue options and then they're translated into the game, and the character rattles off a more specific line of text.
    So if someone is hiding from danger, among the 3-4 choices presented to you is:
    'Say you don't appreciate his cowardice'
    then your character says something like:
    'Cowardly fool, how dare you hide when there is action afoot?'

Awkward and silly. I don't see the point of disengaging the player from the conversations and interaction.
    Last edited by Voss; 18-09-2017 at 06:09.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Yeah, there certainly are some interesting design choices. As I said, I could have done without all the new races and the narrator indeed was quite a surprise when he made his first appearance.

That being said, I found the dialogue options to be largely fitting with what the characters say in the end (or seem to). Other than with bloody Fallout4 for example, which couldn't be more vague about everything in dialogues. But yeah, I'd like to see just WYSIWYG replies to make.

I think I have to retract some things I've vented about above. We started a new game now. New characters, normal difficulty (yeah, we're wusses, but hear me out). So far it's MUCH more fun. Fights are much easier, but they're still fun and at least we can get through them without several times of saving/loading before achieving ANYTHING.

My point about needless violence and grimdarkness stands. That being said, we're just off the internment camp (run by sadist inaniacs of course) now and actually met someone who isn't a complete **** (some sort of UN supervisor who'd been sent over to have a look at the going-ons on that island). In a weird moment I even got behind the idea of Elves eating body parts of their dead to acquire their memories. Anyway, there still is just way too much needlessly convoluted stuff, there still are just way too many people you just can't help . Ever. Unless you have a very, very specific thing at a very specific time and then say a very specific thing. And that's just a bad design choice. Call me boring, but I'm totally fine with "Hi, my cellar is full of giant rats and I'm fearing for my valuable collection of elven wines. Please slay 10 giant rats and I'll give you a pointy stick and a bottle of wine.". That's OK. Especially in a game which has a combat system as deep as this game and in which every single enemy knows two or three spells and a game which allows for coop gaming. I'm down with generic settings, because they allow for interesting stories. Convoluted settings are just busywork to get into. In Dark Souls the batshit insane setting works for me, because they don't really explain it. You see and experience the world and the world is made to the purpose of the game. A game world which is overdesigned and so for its own sake it just not for me, especially in an ISO perspective.

On the other hand: it does look great. I really like the player models (despite just stupid helmet designs, but again: I like historical-ish fantasy rather than cosplayers' wet dreams), the graphics are colourful and look amazing. Just now this genre of games manages to be on par with old, 'drawn' pixel games like Baldur's Gate.

I noticed a thing which was insanely fun on the first game completely lacking: rock, paper scissors! Where's that gone?

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    The thing is that when you start playing a fantasy roleplaynig game you want to go out and help people, make things better, get xp and loot to make bigger things better.
    Not always the case IMHO. Take the Dark Brotherhood quests in the Elder Scrolls games for example.
    Or an evil party in Baldur's Gate.

That being said...
    Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Now the first island is full of miserable people who have problems. But you can't help them. Pretty much nobody can or will be helped. Sick lady sits in a tent, I walk up, "hey lady, can I help you?" - "Noooo, I want to die so the people running the camp won't have the fun of killing me, go away.". I happen to have a spell to cure the sickness, I cast it on her, she still say she's sick, she wants to be sick, tells me to **** off. That's the end of that angle.
    I had the same problem with the Mexican section of Red Dead Redemption. I was playing this "rogue with a heart of gold" type cowboy for the first part of the game, but then you go south of the border.
    In Mexico people live in misery but tou can't helpt them. The game forces you to follow orders from corrupt government officials, torching villages and arresting/killing "rebels".
    When you're finally allowed to switch sides and join the revolution it turns out the leader of the rebellion is just as bad as the guys you just helped overthrow.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky