Thread: Are Warmachine: Company of Iron and Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire the same game?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are Warmachine: Company of Iron and Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire the same game?

Are Warmachine: Company of Iron and Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire the same game?

There are differences in models needed (unit versus warband), hex map and measuring, reduced stats and stats as normal (as far as I know). And of course there is the material, privateer resin against plastic.
    So aside from getting ready to get started (more building/cleaning and reading for Warmachine), is the basic game the same at the core?

Both have deck building and are pitched as competitive games with at least the potential for tournament support.

What are your thoughts?

I am heavily biased on both, so this is just my opinion.
    I really hate the Warmachine resin and it looks complicated, both are what you need as an introduction to the big game though. Price is known and to me it looks like anything from Privateer Press (doubles at too high costs). Beyond the starter box there is no next content shown, so I have no real idea what to expect next (card sets/cards and a squad?). It does come with cardboard terrain, so maybe terrain building is part of this, which would add more complexity. In total you don't get much and might need to do a lot to play for the price, I do not see the difference to classic starter set aside from a few cards.
    I hate the mortal realms and the gold boys, I really don't like these either. It looks like a real board game, super simplified and easy to play. I can see this being interesting to play with children, because it is ready to go. But is fails to give me any wargaming vibe, it is a gateway to a setting. I fail to see any depth beyond special cards you need to buy all packs for. I actually expect to see people reselling the miniatures to buy cards. So for a board game it needs different prices than their current offerings for me to even consider it. Actually I would not even then, because of the setting.

Take that away and it looks the same to me, it looks like a DLC sale model.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 03-10-2017 at 09:53.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 124, added to my collection: 9