Thread: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 7-8: August-September and October WIP

Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 7-8: August-September and October WIP

This thread will cover the two previous months.

I've managed to finish six Neophyte hybrids as well as the remaining six Acolyte hybrids:

I now have eight Neophytes left before all the Cult elements of the game are done. Only the Space Marines left after that!

Re: Tale of Boardgame Painters Month 7-8: August-September and October WIP

@coveringfire: Your work is awesome and inspiring!

I don't have a wip shot yet, but I'm about half way through 8 genestealers. I managed to complete 6 in September, so I'm reasonably confidant of making my year's end target for having Space Hulk complete - and I would not have done it without this project log!

Here's the first six:

edit: Here's my October WIP:
    Last edited by lorelorn; 08-10-2017 at 04:12.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Great work on your genestealer cults, both of you. Space Hulk is an impressive game to have fully painted lorelorn.

So I faded out here a bit, but I'm still aiming at finishing Blood Rage before the end of the tale, although that means doubling up my original monthly estimates to win back jokers. Well, at least I'll keep painting and keep posting, since I finally have a nice setup and motivating painting company.

So I've finished all the clan leaders:

That leaves second and third age monsters (6 total) and five clans of warriors (8 warriors each) that I hope will lend themselves nicely to assembly line batch painting
    Check out the Tale of Board Game Painters in the group project logs!

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

Here's a little WIP on the bear clan.

I'm hoping to finish at least the bear clan and the second age monsters this month, to get back on track to finish the whole set before the new year

All my miniature painting in one combined log - index in first post - 40K CSM, Fantasy O&G, Boardgames and other random stuff

I don't know how many jokers I've used by this point, but here is to buying some of them back...

The Butcher is the first real instance of Kingdom Death putting the players in their place and saying "You are nothing. Prepare to die".

The Kingsman is for players who think that surely it can't be as bad as The Butcher again. I've never managed to beat this guy...

With The Butcher I wanted to emphasise the "lost itself to the slaughter" aspect of the monster. It's hard to make out from the pictures, but the armour started out a really dark green as has been suitably battered in combat to be mostly bare metal scratches now. The weapons, on the otherhand, despite the fresh blood coat of the player's precious survivors, I've made sure are meticulously cared for.

The Kingsman was a bit of a challenge in that I needed to balance my choice of colours (keeping mostly to the artwork) without running into the Christmas effect that red/green/white can suffer from at 28mm scale, but I think I've succeeded. The pictures don't really show it, but there is a slight blue tinge to the armour that helps with that in real life.

@Covering Fire: The colour scheme is ace! I really like the pop of the yellow lights.

@lorelorn: Nice work. These will look great on the Space Hulk tiles!

@Solun Decius: Those clan leaders are fantastic! You've really managed to make each clan look unique from colour schemes alone. Also bugger you and your ability to paint eyes!

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

@Doi: keep putting up images like this and you can have as many jokers as you like! Great work, I especially like the butcher's cleavers and the red cloak on the Kingsman.
    Breathe deep... and visit Scent of a Gamer.

Well that's good, because I'm probably jokering October too .

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Doi, you are a "fine artist," and by that I mean that your works should hang in a gallery, not that "it's, like... fine, whatever man." Beautiful work, and the more I look the more miniscule details I uncover. They're like Magic Eye paintings. (Remember Magic Eye? I 'member...)
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

First, that's hands down the best compliment I've ever received.

Second, considering the wealth of people on this board that far eclipse my talents, like sigur or EffCee, I think you might need to reconsider what you call "fine art" .

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Fancied a break from 30 marines... Lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171028_153423.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	233054

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171028_153354.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	233055

New additions to the Mordheim warband
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

@ Covering Fire. Love the way the cult is coming together mate,main ting is solid as always.

@ lorelorn. Looking really good and I am pleased to hear you should finish by year end. Some of the stealers poses look like they might be tricked to paint. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing the end result.

@ Solun Decius. Clan leaders look awesome man! I though the clan was called beer clan when I first read it, lol.

@ Doi. Man, that cape is flawless. Outstanding work there, truly is. How did you get the wet look on the axe? Gloss varnish?
    Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.

@Doi: Thanks! Those Kingdom Death minis are really nice. I especially like the colors and cloth on the Kingsman.

@Zarika: Thank you. Yeah, beer clan would be proper nordic warrior though
    Very nice goblins there.

A little more WIP, now some layering on the Fire Giant.

I'm very much hoping to finish the 3rd age monsters, as well as the bear clan (which is finished) before the end of the month, ready for the next thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
    @ Doi. Man, that cape is flawless. Outstanding work there, truly is. How did you get the wet look on the axe? Gloss varnish?
    Thanks! I use Tamiya Clear Red for my blood effects. It is a fairly fast drying, slightly thick translucent paint. I paint on pure Tamiya Clear Red for the "wet blood", let it dry for ~20 seconds and then stipple a brush over the surface to add some texture, then paint on some Tamiya Clear Red + a small amount of Black Ink for "dried blood", and stipple again. I haven't used it yet but I get the impression that GW's Blood for the Blood God would get a similar effect.

That is certainly a unique colour scheme on your greenskins!

@Solun Decius: Looking good! I can't wait to see him finished. What sort of colours are you looking at for the metals?

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

@Doi: Thanks! I'm going to go really dark on all the armor and hair etc. to emphasize the glow effect, so practically black on most of what is now unpainted, but with a bit of OSL orange/yellow, again to support the lava effect.

I took a bit of a break from the massive blending session that the Fire Giant is and got the other two 2nd age monsters going.

Quote Originally Posted by Solun Decius View Post
    @Doi: Thanks! I'm going to go really dark on all the armor and hair etc. to emphasize the glow effect, so practically black on most of what is now unpainted, but with a bit of OSL orange/yellow, again to support the lava effect.
    Sounds good! I'd suggest working it up to a really dark brown rather than staying near black as it would play up the burnt metal look. Might help the OSL too, but I've never been brave enough to try that out so I can't say for sure).

I've been laid low by hay fever for a couple of days, so instead of doing PhD work that I can't concentrate on I've been slowly painting instead. I probably wont have to joker October now, but the model is so close to finished that a WIP shot would spoil it all so you all get a teaser instead. Definitely the most colourful model I've ever painted!

Doi
    Last edited by Doi; 31-10-2017 at 12:07.

Doi is the worst btw...

I took a few months off this summer, but I'm back!

With the critters painted, I've only got the four heroes left to do, and then I'll rebase everything on my newly arrived clear bases and WHQ will be complete. Then on to Battle Masters! Couldn't have kept up the momentum without the group log and all you other member's wonderful inspiration!

http://wickedmetal.blogspot.com/2017...-critters.html
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"