Thread: Bits Storage ideas

Bits Storage ideas

Hi all,

How do you store all of your leftover bits from models? I've reached a bit of a tipping point with my own collection, which for years has resided in several large pullout drawers.

But with me getting a lot more kits of late, my box has only grown and now I'm spending more time searching through my bits than using them. As I like the assembly stage over the painting (see any of my plogs haha) this isn't good.

What do people use to store their own bits? I'm looking for recommendations for storage solutions that have lots of smaller compartments within a larger box to separate my bits out.

Thanks all in advance for any suggestions.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Re: Bits Storage ideas

I use one of these.

It has many compartments with removable walls if you need larger sized ones. I keep my parts sorted by left arm/right arm, legs, torsos and so on. Previously I had them separated into bags and stored in a shoe box. I'm thinking a combination of these methods might be better so it's easier to get the whole collection of whichever category of bit you want to sort through out and onto a tray or box lid or something, as when the compartments start to fill up it can be difficult to actually find stuff in there.

It sounds like you have more bits than me, but there is a bigger version of the above which I'm considering getting to store paints in, as makes that come in taller bottles (like Vallejo) won't fit in the smaller one.

Chapter Master

When I had a lot more space, I actually kept all my spare bits on the sprue if possible, and in the box or same box from another purchase - allowed me to easily index the parts and find what I was looking for because I just pulled out, say, my Grey Knight Power Armor Squad box and look for the bits.
    It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

Grand Plog of Stuffness - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256696

Questions, Comments, Queries and Rude Remarks are ALWAYS welcome, and Very wanted.

I bag my bits according to which army they originate from (so a bag for Necrons, a bag for Eldar, a bag for Marines etc.).

I also separate some commonly useful bits out so that they're easier to find, or if I have particular projects which might need them (eg. a bag of auto-/lasguns, a bag of various pistols, a bag of parts for making Diggamob vehicles etc.).

All the bags then just go in a drawer together.

Every couple of years I have a sort through and trade/sell bits which there doesn't seem much prospect of me using in order to keep the mass of plastic manageable.

Commander

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-pro...B40JEYG08J83H7

I use several of these storage boxes. Each one dedicated to a different army, but my Empire is currently in three different cases. Each compartment is specific to a particular type of bits. This way, if you want a particular style of head, you only have to go to the 'helmet-less head' compartment, or the 'helmet' compartment. It does take up a bit of room, but makes it much easier to search for something you really need for a conversion. I've also experimented with using little baggies for the same effect, but that tends to lead to damaged bits if you aren't careful and move stuff around a lot.

They also stack on top of each other, and on top of this larger set which works well for big bits, like vehicle parts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1-9...MAKHRG5JVGEMEA
    Letters from the Front. An IG log. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...uardsman-s-Log
    Riding to Glory Through Fire and Steel! An Empire log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...52#post6901452
    My Sale and Trade Thread http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...pire-IG-BFG-or

Good recommendations. Thank you. I'll have a ponder and order something this weekend I think!
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

I use ziplock bags of different sizes, smaller ones with specific parts such as heads in one bag, weapons in another and so all the bags from one set in a bigger bag. And then all the big bags from the same army in a box, and the different boxes in a big storagebox.

Chapter Master

I also just use plastic ziplock bags, and toss them in a box. All the bolters in one bag, the CCW weapons in another, special weapons and so on.
    Different boxes for different armies.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

I use both. I have a couple of these storage drawer things where I put stuff with wide potential uses(one drawer for bare human heads, one for skulls, one for techy bitz and so on), and I also have a few stacks of 1litre volume plastic takeaway containers labelled by category with ziplock baggies inside for subcategories.

Chapter Master

Nothing more complex then plastic sealable bags. But split by army into infantry, vehicle and both.

I have also become a zip-lock bag bits hoarder. Because you can see what army they are from through the bag it is easy to find what I am looking for. If a group of bits gets too large (like my Guard) I will split them into vehicle parts and troops.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    OOP GW Books - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Zip-lock bags to keep parts together for units and models. Old peanut butter jars to store stripped metal units (they shred zip-lock bags) and models in zip-lock bags. Finally 50l plastic roll containers to store armies so I have it easier backtracking something I look for.

And for bits I use containers similar to bantha_fodder. Double sided, it is enough space to store most loose bits I want fast access to.

I need more storage ...
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 65, added to my collection after sales and trades: -134

I use old soft plastic boxes in which GW used to stuff their boxed metal miniatures, all set into IKEA jewellery drawers.

These are great because they're very small, stackable, easy to label and compartimentalise, and on top of that, they're way nicer than the bolts-and-nails portable cases. You can even paint them with Old-Worldy motifs, griffins, twin-tailed comets and Gothic fraktur inscriptions saying "Karl Franz Rex", or give it a nice Imperium flavour with some bits and pieces. Fun times!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moppe-mini-chest-of-drawers__0135959_PE292948_S4.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	233280

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	furniture-furniture-from-hobby-lobby-with-rustic-wooden-storage-furniture-design-hobby-lobby-fur.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	233281

I have tens of small zipper bags, and I store them in these moppe drawers. I've got one for 40k stuff, one for WHFB, another one for works in progress (for when I need specific bits handily organised in projects instead of thematics), and a couple more to store the miniatures (I don't have much room for a glass cabin)

I tried it myself with some wood stain satin, metal decorative handles (turn the drawers around so you won't see the small hole-handle) and some tin bends, nicely nailed down. Now all I need is a two-headed eagle shape to stick it at the front and, all set.