Thread: Oathmark: Fantasy Mass Battle Game from Osprey

Oathmark: Fantasy Mass Battle Game from Osprey

From the creator of Frostgrave, Joseph McCullogh at Osprey. Looking to make use of those plastic kits Northstar has put out for Frostgrave I imagine, includes Dwarves and soon to be released Goblins (which look quite good to me).

More from Wargames, News and Terrain .
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Re: Oathmark: Fantasy Mass Battle Game from Osprey

Good to finally see some dwarves deserving of that name again!

As I predicted several years ago, with GW essentially quitting the fantasy mass battle market other, smaller competitors are rightfully and eagerly swarming forth to share this slice of the cake among each other. That's all perfectly good market share GW'll never get back.

I have no personal experience with Frostgrave, but I've only read good things about it. If they're now making a bigger game it might just be what is needed to persuade those who found Kings of War lacking as a suitable Warhammer successor. It's also probably not a coincidence that the name sounds similar to "Ostermark".

Though it seems the people who painted up the models seemed kind of confused if they should go on square bases or round bases. That's actually a rather critical point here...
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 08-10-2017 at 19:43.

Chapter Master

It's also probably not a coincidence that the name sounds similar to "Ostermark".
    It really is. The etymology is entirely unrelated. Oathmark sounds like a brand or tattoo related to a vow, and Ostermark is simply East March (ie, the easternmost border province)

Those are some nice looking dwarves and gobbos though. Its good to see some classical mini lines and not the flavorless current stuff.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

I think I quite like the goblins; they remind me of the Tolkien inspired art work that was around in the '70s.

Seems strange to ignore those Gnoll plastics, which were a pretty big seller...
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Seems strange to ignore those Gnoll plastics, which were a pretty big seller...
    Yeah, I noticed they were absent from the blurb but elves were included. Just covering the major fantasy tropes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Codsticker View Post
    I think I quite like the goblins; they remind me of the Tolkien inspired art work that was around in the '70s.
    My thoughts exactly. Old school aesthetic, without the sillyness that some of those old school ranges had.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Some details about the game and basing: https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.../oathmark.html

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mëtälhëäd of Wärsëër

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

Good to see there will eventually be more than the 4 initial forces to chose from.

Even though he admits it's still in the early planning stages I like what I read. Seems like this guy knows what he's doing. Admittedly it's far easier when you have a single person pulling all the strings as opposed to having the game designed by a committe where everyone has their favorite army and different opinions on how the game should play.

I might actually give it a shot if it turns out interesting. I already have lots of models to choose from. Putting them on 25mm is a stroke of genius as it means the rules will be compatible with all Warhammer armies.

I think I'm a little unsure on the minis...I like them but I'm not sure if they don't look a little dated; I should have picked up a sprue at Salute. I am definitely intrigued to see some painted examples other than studio paint jobs.

I've not really been interested in mass battle games for years as I tend to prefer games of upto maybe 30 minis a side but I do like the sound of the campaign where you build your kingdom...that sounds pretty EPIC.

Do they look dated? Or do they simply look normal and we've gotten too used to GW's completely over the top style? As I wrote in another thread I'm lamenting the fact that due to the influence of the big players like Blizzard and GW the Fantasy genre is slowly transforming into a self-parody. It is really a sight for sore eyes to see these humble Dwarves who look like they might actually really exist and live in actual medieval huts or whatever. I have yet to find an actual technical flaw on these models, though of course it's hard to tell from pics alone.

Chapter Master

I don't really think dated is the right word. It isn't a technical problem, just a different aesthetic style. Personally, it is one I miss. GW has certainly gone all in on overly muscled hulks with weird bulges and wedge shaped torsos.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

That's kinda what I was meaning though I couldn't find the words. For my tastes GW, and many other companies, have gone too far. It's nice to see something more grounded.

Indeed, they have the quality of new figures (from the looks of things) but simply a more traditional aesthetic - one which I too love. Good old chainmail and realistically sized weapons. Very much looking forwards to the Elves.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -