Thread: Arhalien plogs again - Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada, Infinity, and more!

Arhalien plogs again - Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada, Infinity, and more!

Hi all

It's fair to say that I have been pretty bad at keeping project logs going in recent years. This isn't for lack of painting, more for lack of organisation to actually get things photographed and uploaded. In order to try and help with this, I've started a blog to gather all my recent painting progress into one place, and to track future painting. However that is only one part of the puzzle, because I also really enjoyed posting and discussing WIP photos, ideas for colour schemes, and everything else that's easier to do on a forum thread. Hence why I've started this: I am intending to do WIP shots here, and save the blog for finished photos. That said, I don't currently have any WIP photos, so for today this post will just be shinies!

A lot of the early posts in this thread and the blog, will be looking back at what I've painted over the last few years - lots of finished fleets for Dystopian Wars and Firestorm Armada primarily. I am also intending to go back over my old Fantasy and 40k armies from years ago and try and get some decent photos of them for the first time (those who have seen my painting before, may remember this constant struggle...). Plans for the future include the start of a "Tale of 2 Admirals" project with a good friend of mine to try and get our Dystopian Wars painting backlog cleared, and the blog will include battle reports as and when I am able to get games played. I am also something of a magpie for wargaming shinies, so this blog may go in any random direction, anywhere from Dropfleet Commander, to Beyond the Gates of Antares, to even finishing some half-done Fantasy armies.

Anyway, that's enough words for now, onto some pictures. I'm starting with the current state of my Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth fleet for Dystopian Wars. At the moment, the fleet consists only of naval units, although I have an aerial box primed and ready to paint from next month as part of the Tale of 2 Admirals. A selection of photos below -

Triglav Assault Carrier:

Dazbog Pocket Battleship:

Bagiennik Heavy Frigates:

The fleet so far:

More photos here on the blog.

Any and all comments very welcome: thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
    14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks
    My Fantasy Log//The Blog of Many Things

Re: Arhalien plogs again - Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada, Infinity, and more!

And now for something completely different!

I have played a fair few games of Zombicide: Black Plague, using a friend's copy of the main game. Inspired, I picked up one of the special guest character packs (this one inspired by Jovem Nerd) on the basis of the models alone, knowing nothing about the Jovem Nerd podcast, to add something to the game, as well as for a fun painting project. Something about the look of the models reminded me of a small Tzeentch Mortals force I started years ago (small as in 12 warriors and a lord), so decided to try and emulate it.

The Chaos army in question:

And without further ado, WIP pictures of the first two models from the set. I've been focussing on the metals mostly, as well as getting the cloth on Ruff Ghanor.

Will aim to get more progress on these up soon.

Thanks for looking!

14. Certain FAQ questions will be answered with the stock company answer of 'stop being such a knob'
    Arhalien: Consider yourself lucky I'm fresh out of rocks and sharp, pointy sticks

Re: Arhalien plogs again - Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada, Infinity, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Arhalien View Post
    It's fair to say that I have been pretty bad at keeping project logs going in recent years. This isn't for lack of painting, more for lack of organisation to actually get things photographed and uploaded.
    And TOFPs...

Just like me .

I've always wanted to see more of your Chaos army, but I'll settle for the Zombicide guys in the same colours . Nice work across the board with the Dystopian Wars stuff too!

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Good to see you back and nice painting.. I think we are all a bunch of slackers these days with posting pics [Doi is the worst btw...]
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Doi is the worst btw...
    Story of my life .

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

And TOFPs...

Just like me .

I've always wanted to see more of your Chaos army, but I'll settle for the Zombicide guys in the same colours . Nice work across the board with the Dystopian Wars stuff too!

Doi

Thanks Doi It's an army I always wanted to do a bit more with as well, I just was disappointed with the plastic knights being too gribbly for the look I was trying to go for.

Shame to see that the TOFP seems to have died since I was last around - maybe it's time to try and bring one back?

Good to see you back and nice painting.. I think we are all a bunch of slackers these days with posting pics [Doi is the worst btw...]
    Thanks Stu It's nice to be back!

I've finished the first two Zombicide characters, but I'm waiting for tomorrow to get some natural light to take photos. I'll post those when taken!

I'm liking the blue glowing eyes on the chaos warriors. Looks really effective. Be good to see some more of your army.
    2017 Models Bought - 28 2018 Models Bought - 0
    2017 Models Painted - 44 2018 Models Painted - 0
    2017 Models Built - 72 2018 Models Built - 3
    Lead/plastic/resin pile currently standing at 557 unpainted models

Quote Originally Posted by tcmainprize View Post
    I'm liking the blue glowing eyes on the chaos warriors. Looks really effective. Be good to see some more of your army.

Thanks Unfortunately the Chaos army is that warrior unit and a lord on disc - it never got any further than that! That photo itself is almost 10 years old. Unfortunately I just didn't like the direction they went with the plastic knights: this army was supposed to emphasise a more subtly menacing approach to Chaos, which I think the plastic warriors show off perfectly. The more "gribbly" releases since then didn't inspire me as much.

No new painting progress to show as of yet, but I wanted t continue showing off the Dystopian Wars fleets that I already have painted, in advance of expanding them.

First things first, the Prussian Empire. I initially started this fleet back in a previous project log here on Warseer, and you can read my trials and tribulations with that fleet here. While that colour scheme wasn't bad per se, it was distinctly uninspiring. So out came the Dettol, and the new results are, I feel, much more striking:

Elbe Class Fleet Carrier

Eider Mk2 Class Battleship

Havel Class Light Carriers

Donnerfaust Class Support Cruisers

More photos on the blog as always.

Danes to follow in the next post.
    Last edited by Arhalien; 29-10-2017 at 12:36.

And now a selection of ships from the Kingdom of Denmark. I realised that it ended up quite close to the studio scheme by accident, so added the camo pattern to try and differentiate it a bit.

Ragnarok Class Pocket Battleships

Skagerrak Class Gunships

Korsor Class Corvettes

More photos on the blog.

As I have a relatively significant backlog of ships to paint for all three of these fleets, I am about to start a "Tale of 2 Admirals" with Firestorm Falcon (formerly of this parish). So expect to see many more WIP shots of Dystopian Wars ships appearing here on this plog.

Thanks for looking as always!

Looking good! I have virtually no knowledge of Dystopian Wars so I have a few questions. Why do some models have bases and not others? Do you have models for all of the tiny fighters I assume spawn from those aircraft carriers? Why is that one little Danish ship red? What is the magical third fleet you mention?

Doi

Doi is the worst btw...

Looking good! I have virtually no knowledge of Dystopian Wars so I have a few questions. Why do some models have bases and not others? Do you have models for all of the tiny fighters I assume spawn from those aircraft carriers? Why is that one little Danish ship red? What is the magical third fleet you mention?

Doi
    Thanks Doi

In general submarines and aircraft/skimmers have bases while regular surface vessels don't. I think this is more for practicality reasons rather than game design - some people do base their surface vessels as well.

I do have models for all the tiny flyers, I just foolishly forgot to take photos of them at the same time as I took the photos of the fleet. Have a quick action shot to prove they exist (this photo taken after a critical hit caused my carrier to teleport on top of my opponents battleship).

The red corvette is a test model that I didn't like and haven't got around to repainting yet. I'm almost tempted to leave it and come up with a fluff justification for the colour scheme.

The third fleet is the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, as seen in the first post and here: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.co.uk/...anian.html?m=1

Less of a painting update today, and more of a news update. Inspired by the original Tale of Fantasy Painters, Firestorm Falcon and I are starting a "Tale of 2 Admirals" to try and clear out our respective backlogs of Dystopian Wars models. The plan is for the tale to last 12 months, with 2 jokers available. As it stands, I have 2000 ish points of Poles, Prussians and Danes to paint, and I am intending to aim for 400 points a month over 6 months, with 1 joker allowed. For the next 6 months I am planning to either paint terrain, or see what goodies Warcradle comes out with for my various fleets.

We will be using the tale as an excuse to do some battle reports, based around a rough narrative of warfare in the Baltic Sea. I'll be posting WIP photos here, and tracking progress via the blog here: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.co.uk/ (there is a more detailed introductory post up there now).

My planned painting for the first month is for the PLC, namely 3 Grom Class Gunnery Blimps, 5 Szabla Class Interceptors, and 6 SAS tokens. (no points value in game but assigned 5 points each for the purpose of the tale). As proof that it is not yet painted:

Ignore the paint on the Grom...

Thanks for looking!

A mere six weeks after finishing painting them, I actually have some photos up of the finished Zombicide characters!

While I'm not fully happy with the attempt at OSL on the guy with the helmet, I'm still overall pleased with the results. Having painted a lot of Dystopian Wars ships recently it's been nice to paint some 28mm humanoids instead.

And now some photos:

The Chosen of the Old Gods

The Prior of the Old Gods

A couple more photos, as well as a little bit of background and some murmuring about Zombicide are on the blog which can be found here: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.co.uk/...uest-pack.html

As a preview of a new project starting soon, I'm getting back into Infinity!

Still a fair bit of DW progress to make first, but this will be progressed some time in the new year I think.

Comments and criticism gratefully received. Thanks for looking!

Hello all.

What better to do in the build-up to Christmas than use the spare time to catch up on blogs/plogs all over the place!

I've finished painting some Gryf-class flame blimps for my Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth fleet:

More can be found on the blog as per usual! http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.co.uk/...alth-gryf.html

I've also made a start on the Infinity models pictured above. For those unaware of Infinity, it is a (slightly) anime themed sci-fi skirmish game, set several hundred years in the future, where humanity has scattered to the stars, and focusses on black-ops combat between the ostensibly at peace human powers. These models are from the Imperial Service, a sectorial army of Yu-Jing, a Chinese led far east Asian superpower, who are in effect the state secret police.

I initially wanted to paint them in a mixture of blue-grey armour, buff fatigues and dark red detailing. The initial test model (an unfortunate Warmachine elf) did not come out very well...

After a bit of tweaking however, I got to a scheme that I am very happy with:

Photos are a bit dodgy sorry. I will take better ones once the model is "finished", which will be when it's based.

Photos of my other Infinity forces (Panoceania and Nomads) can be found here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...and-maybe-more

Comments and criticism welcome as always. Thanks for looking

Happy new year all!

I've made the most of the Christmas break to make some more progress on the Imperial Service force for Infinity. Following some feedback from the Infinity forums I've tried to increase some of the contrast in my highlighting to try and make things pop a little bit more.

One thing that has not changed over the years I've been involved in this hobby, is that I am incapable of regularly taking decent photos of anything I've painted. The below photos are therefore being taken as some form of new years miracle...

(bases are not done yet - aiming to get some resin scenic bases for this force once I've made more progress with it)

Pheasant Rank Agent:

Celestial Guard 1:

Celestial Guard 2:

And a quick WiP of the Zhanying Agent - weapon and tidying up still to be done:

Second post to come with some Dystopian Wars content shortly...
    Last edited by Arhalien; 01-01-2018 at 16:02.

I've also made some Dystopian Wars progress this month as well. Month 2 of the Tale of 2 Admirals is now done, which means finished Polish Sky Fortress, and finished Prussian Submarines:

I've also taken a look at what I've painted for Dystopian Wars over the course of 2017, and it's considerably more than I thought it was! I still have a reasonable backlog of Spartan resin to clear, and with some very positive sounding rumblings coming out of Warcradle since they acquired Spartan's IP, I think that pile may get a bit larger in 2018.

More photos, as well as a bit of musing about the last month's painting, can be found on my blog here: http://whyarecarrots.blogspot.co.uk/...recarrots.html

Comments and criticism very welcome as always - thanks for looking!

Cool D-Wars fleets.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/