Thread: Fantares - Fantasy Gates of Antares

Chapter Master

Fantares - Fantasy Gates of Antares

Well I played the Gates of Antares fantasy adaptation by Rick Priestley at the weekend, and shot it on video and popped it on youtube. There is a con going on in the background, I'm sorry about the noise. The next batrep I shoot will be much quieter.

https://youtu.be/IyjI8OEJrkE

Played very nicely, like a smoother fantasy bolt action. Played a reasonable sized game with about 30 odd models per side.

This is a system Rick has been developing in his own time and there is some discussion about whether it is something Warlord could develop, so I've done a youtube poll where I have a good old chat about the game. I see a good potential idea to be a historical game with optional fantasy elements.

https://youtu.be/use7ddDtmJE

Re: Fantares - Fantasy Gates of Antares

Sounds interesting, just rules work as well these days. The problem is of course what models/armies to support with balanced lists.

Having it as a special mission game for The 9th Age would be awesome.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 5, added to my collection: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Sounds interesting, just rules work as well these days. The problem is of course what models/armies to support with balanced lists.

Having it as a special mission game for The 9th Age would be awesome.
    I agree.. If they keep it a universal ruleset (like dragon rampant) that could also work.

Or some sort T9A piggy back.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

I am intrigued. I assume they will do their own minis if they think its would be popular enough to go ahead.

I'm split on this one. I play alot of Gates of Antares. I'd go as far to say its my favourite game system of all time. Really is that good but I'm not sold on the idea of making a fantasy version. I don't know why...
    I don't want it to piggyback of the 9th age at all. Again, another game I playand enjoy but I feel the games market has a solid place waiting for a great fantasy game. One that stands out from the generic tolkienists flooding the field and one that throws out the normal conventions.

The reason I play Dystopian wars but not Firestorm is because they have almost identical mechanics so I'm not getting anything out of a different system.

Rakham did it with Confrontation in the early 00's but was drowned in the popularity of WHFB. Now there is a gap I certainly hope someone fills it. Maybe I just hate the name Fantares XD

There is a strong runner being relvealed at Essen next weekend too that it will be up against (there is a seperate thread for Conquest so I'll leave you to find that one if you're interested)
    Last edited by 2DSick; 21-10-2017 at 15:23.
    The Scholar Progenium role out for war! - new poroject

2DSick Wargaming - My youtube channel

Discover what lies Beyond the Gates of Antares

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Sarcasm is gone, but there's something new I'm sure you'll love ...........Age of Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DSick View Post
    Rakham did it with Confrontation in the early 00's but was drowned in the popularity of WHFB. Now there is a gap I certainly hope someone fills it. Maybe I just hate the name Fantares XD
    Rackham did it to themselves, y'know?

Not sure if the game was ever any good, but there's still a market for the miniatures (and a couple of imitator companies) ten years after they went out of business.

Going from a boutique metal minis range to pre-painted-plastic was always going to peve the fans that were keeping them afloat.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2DSick
    One that stands out from the generic tolkienists flooding the field and one that throws out the normal conventions.
    Wait, what? I'd give a lot for something that harkens back to generic fantasy with normal conventions.

Where is this flood hiding?
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Game looks pretty interesting - only recently got into BtGoA, but it looks to be a good system by itself.

Would be nice if Rick managed to support the game without warlord. While I understand it takes a lot of time to develop a ruleset, I can't help but feel most games would be better if they didn't have a profit based company leaning over them. T9A is a great example - the current official version is leaps and bounds better than anything GW have ever put out (although mostly a clone). The v2 stuff sounds awesome - an actual evolution rather than another copy. I'd like to see more games systems independently developed with miniature companies creating their own models for these independent games.