Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pulp Alley Table Project: Jungle, Urban, Cavern

Pulp Alley Table Project: Jungle, Urban, Cavern

This project has been underway for a few months in little dribs and drabs. The end goal is to have 3 3' by 3' tables for Trumpeter's Salute, a gaming convention held in Vancouver min mid March. Of the three, one will be an urban table, one will be a jungle table and one will be a cavern/cave complex (this may change).

The first table I have started is the jungle table. Somewhere in the south seas: an isolated island in polynesia or micronesia. 2.5cm foam insulation forms the base, glued to 1cm plywood with a stream cut into it.

2 pieces of 5cm foam stacked will form a cliff face over which a waterfall will pour.

Rock structures are carved into the face with pieces of foam set into it.

Smaller pieces are added around the base of the cliff and at the base of the waterfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Re: Pulp Alley Table Project: Jungle, Urban, Cavern

Consider my interest piqued!

What game systems will these be for?

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

Those cliff faces look sweet! Excited to see what this project

I made some progress over the last week. I layered the foam with plaster cloth; textured the cliff face with some Sculptamold/grey paint mix.

After a good sanding, I layered on glue then scattered sand, sealed with another layer of thinned glue and then sand-coloured paint on the flat surfaces and grey paint on the rock faces.

Things are really clicking along. Table is just about usable- just a few more details.

I have start on some jungle terrain. Several more bits to add though: flock, tufts and static grasses up next.

Looks like it could use a bit of rubble at the base of the cliffs

Yeah, the cliff piece lifts off and that leaves a line that is too clean. Some rubble would certainly look better.

Forest floor added as well as shrubs and what not to the cliff edges and creek banks.

I know you had said it was a jungle board, but I'd completely forgotten that and was thinking you were working on a really cool desert/beach board. This update has drastically changed the look of the board and I love it.

What did you use for the forest floor?

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Doi is the worst btw...

The forest floor is mostly fir bark ground to the texture of coarse coffee grounds in a coffee grinder with some Woodland Scenics coarse turf, both medium and light green, and a little cut up Ashland Raffia mixed in.

The cliff points still look a bit to clean for a board...you rarely have a clean line for a cliff face, especially with growth and underbrush along it.

The texture looks great though.

Quote Originally Posted by SotF View Post
    The cliff points still look a bit to clean for a board...you rarely have a clean line for a cliff face, especially with growth and underbrush along it.

The texture looks great though.
    I think you are right- rubble at the base would be more realistic, but as the cliff portion is removable for storage and transport I decided against adding rubble to base of the cliff as it wouldn't have been a simple case of just slathering on. As an aside when I was looking at pictures of cliffs I did find a few photos of cliffs with very little debris at their base and they were usually coming out of sand.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 17-11-2017 at 02:30.

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

Great work as usual Codsticker

Thank you DC147.

I have finished off the trees, which I had actually started well before the table proper but I still have about a third of them to do. I also added some static grass and some tufts. I have started on a foot bridge and I have plans to do a couple more smll terrain items: a shrine and a stone idol. I won't get around to pouring the resin for a bit yet as it will be getting a run out this weekend.

I got started on the urban table of the series. Not much to show at this point, just the materials so far and the beginnings of construction.

The Cityblock deal from Sarrissa precision (with plastic Renedra fences in bag):

Construction underway. A corner store on your left, a brownstone behind it and a shop with apartment above in clamps on the right.:

My buddy David, his sons and a couple of their friends gave one of the scenarios a run through this past Saturday. As the boys were allowed to make up their own leagues we ended up with a bit of a odd mishmash: playmobile stormtroopers, Daleks, red robed cultists and an Indiana Jones style gang all searching for the illusive Dr. Who and his Tardis.
    Here the cultists have a hard time subduing some of Dr. Who's associates (in the back ground you can see the Storm Troopers have taken down on eof their competitors):

The unfortunate Daleks keep running into trouble with the locals:

The table foundation is under way. 2.5 cm foam insulation over 1.5 cm plywood. The cutout section will be a canal but I will put a train tracks on the removed foam so that we have the option of a canal or train tracks.

All my Sarissa buildings are assembled. They are only in assemblies (2 walls or 2 walls and a floor) to aide in spray painting. Once that is done then they will be permanently glued together as floors which can be removed to allow miniatures inside the buildings. The bridge is an Italeri kit available through Warlord Games.
    I have Renedra's Ramshackle Barn on its way to me now and I may put down another building, a warehouse, small factory or small train station on the slim side of the canal/train tracks.

Last edited by Codsticker; 03-12-2017 at 21:28.

With all the buildings assembled now, I have been made to wait for appropriate spray priming weather: MDF can really suck up the primer. With only a couple primed I got to work on the interiors:

The wall paper is from a pad of patterned paper my daughter bought at Michael's for a school project- I cannot remember the brand. The wooden floor is just scribed balsa wood. After doing thast I realised that wwould have to do that 14 more times for all the buildings I was making. So I scribed some rough wood grain in some Plastruct O scale siding and made a mould:

The first one painted up a little yellower than I liked, but I just have to get some light orange paint to remedy that.

With the exception of the base, the first building is finished. Once I have figured out how I will paint the table surfaces then I will figure out how I want to finish the building bases.

Damn, I can only dream of having a workshop like yours Codsticker.

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Brown View Post
    Damn, I can only dream of having a workshop like yours Codsticker.

Cheers,

CB
    Heh heh I have pretty much taken over the basement; what used to be the front entrance was turned into The Craft Room and is now my painting space (that is where the pictures of the building were taken); and I have set up a casting table for the flooring in my daughter's bedroom. Truly, I am king of my own domain.

Progress continues at a decent clip. With the Christmas holidays upon us I have been forced to surrender one of my workspaces (my daughter's bedroom) so she has some place to stay. However, Mrs. Codsticker says that I can use our bedroom if need be (the basement is really cold in winter).
    The exteriors of all the buildings have been primed:

... and the interiors are underway. This one has a shop on the bottom floor and an apartment above:

This is Sarissa Precision's "corner store"; nice little kits except the the 60* corners at the front entrance do not mesh together well. Such is the nature of MDF kits: only right angles mesh together.

There is a nice apartment above where I imagine the owner lives:
    Last edited by Codsticker; 19-12-2017 at 05:43.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast