Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: So what's the verdict on the new 40k?

Brother Sergeant

Re: So what's the verdict on the new 40k?

Well, I didn't treat my anecdotal evidence as Empirical. Still, it's what we have. "From what I've seen" is treatable as an estimate, which is all the farther most posts go, unless we're talking an AOS love/hate thread in which case it seems anecdotal evidence IS Empirical to validate one side or the other. Basically it's either everybody plays it or nobody plays it. I'd like to think what I offered wasn't so... partisan.

Also, if I had it all to do over again, I'd love to go back and tell myself "Hey, you're going to wind up sinking a ridiculous amount in codices, army books, and rulebooks for systems you won't like and barely play, if you DO play. Spend it on models, especially before the ridiculous price hikes." So I'm feeling you about the cost.

I also see what you mean with gaming space. I play at players' houses quite a bit, but I still pop into the stores to see what's current, or what's retro. So far two of the three major shops in town are totally fine with retrogaming, with only one being a "current or banned" type of mentality. That is also how I get a "feel" for what the community is doing, at least locally.

At least at my clubs, I'm noticing that pick up games just don't seem to be happening. That's the real shame. Even if everyone is playing the new 40K, if nobody is playing it visibly, the random walk ins to the shop aren't pulled in. That used to be the beauty of gaming back in the day. We don't seem to have that now. Definitely not in my area, at least.

Well lets be honest-no community support=no game

The models are overpriced for 40K, but they look nice and the fluff is a huge draw. however if nobody is playing all you have is some nice display pieces. which you really don't need an armies worth of just for display, one will do.

After years of playing I still have a cabinet full of Japanese resin figure kits and plastic UC gundam master grade kits still in their boxes....however over the last 2 decades I have built seven 40K armies, 2 dust armies, to many classic battletech figures to keep track of, enough infinity to field 4 armies, warmachine, Babylon 5 wars(mostly narn), and even heavy gear. this is why I needed zero new models to make a viable army for 8th ed 40K.

The motivation was-gotta get them ready to use for upcoming games.

6th was so terrible it literally killed 40K at my FLGS, 7th made enough positive changes to cause a small resurgence......8th is to soon to tell. it seems close to 7th for the time being.

I feel I am fortunate enough to have a FLGS with a large gaming area and plenty of fine terrain to play the many games I have, 40K just isn't the big draw it was before 6th where I was averaging 3 games every Saturday, now its more like once a month. Although I did have a fantastic knock down drag out fight with my warmachine last night-glory to the ever victorious KHADOR!

Quote Originally Posted by mughi3 View Post
    Well lets be honest-no community support=no game
    True.

The models are overpriced for 40K, but they look nice and the fluff is a huge draw. however if nobody is playing all you have is some nice display pieces. which you really don't need an armies worth of just for display, one will do.
    I disagree about the aesthetic. I like building my own tanks from non-GW kits because they cost 1/3 as much and have better quality. I use historical or off-brand troops for similar reasons.

GW made a point of basing 40k on some derivative ideas which facilitates using other derivative kits.

After years of playing I still have a cabinet full of Japanese resin figure kits and plastic UC gundam master grade kits still in their boxes....however over the last 2 decades I have built seven 40K armies, 2 dust armies, to many classic battletech figures to keep track of, enough infinity to field 4 armies, warmachine, Babylon 5 wars(mostly narn), and even heavy gear. this is why I needed zero new models to make a viable army for 8th ed 40K.

The motivation was-gotta get them ready to use for upcoming games.
    We are quite similar. I paint to play, period. If no game is likely to happen, the models collect dust and my painting table gets covered in stray paper and other oddments. Once a game looks likely, the table gets cleared off and I start grinding stuff out.

For a guy who doesn't like painting, I have a crapload of figures, including every army from 2nd ed (except Necrons, I hate them).

6th was so terrible it literally killed 40K at my FLGS, 7th made enough positive changes to cause a small resurgence......8th is to soon to tell. it seems close to 7th for the time being.

I feel I am fortunate enough to have a FLGS with a large gaming area and plenty of fine terrain to play the many games I have, 40K just isn't the big draw it was before 6th where I was averaging 3 games every Saturday, now its more like once a month. Although I did have a fantastic knock down drag out fight with my warmachine last night-glory to the ever victorious KHADOR!
    With my own dedicated tabletop space, I freely admit I'm out of touch. That's why I come here.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.

A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3