Quote Originally Posted by Retrogamer View Post
I pretty much mention the guy from 1999 immediately in my post, if you read again. And there are indeed several instances of this on gaming boards, as people make sure to announce that they are 2nd Ed. players returning specifically for this edition. Your silent people are the ones that walk away from the game without a second mention, and that's not something you'd catch on a board, but definitely in your local clubs.
I read your post with great care and nothing you've written above refutes it.

Without comprehensive and detailed sales data, there's simply no way to know what's going on with the games. Even then, we can't know if a game is selling well because existing players are upgrading or new players are getting involved. Then there's the problem of old players quitting while even older players are coming back.

Over the existence of this site, there have been plenty of big public announcements that people are quitting GW. They get a bit of notice depending on what else is going on and then it's forgotten. If you weren't there to see the announcement, it's as if it never happened.

You speak of seeing things at clubs, but that fails to account for people like me who have the space to game at home. Most people I know are like that. Back in the day we played at the FLGS, but now we're situated so that we have our own personal gaming space.

It's just hard to know what's going on.

Everybody expects something different from their game, no matter the system. The cycling in and out of existing players attests to that. There are people that had quit when 3rd came out that have come back in little clusters every time that one group of things from 2nd that they valued most that they "lost" had been brought back in some form. With the 3rd Ed. reboot, we got arguably a completely different game, and every new ruleset starting in 5th has been trying its best to stuff at least a little bit of 2nd back into the mix. You, personally, are looking for more than what has been brought back. Me, personally, didn't start until they scrapped 2nd. The farther they move from 3rd's paradigm, the less motivated I am to stay current. 8th is, in my mind, just a few touches shy of 2nd Edition. It will be the first edition since Rogue Trader that I didn't own the rules and relative codex for. As much as I disliked 2nd, I still at least tried to stay abreast of the rules and motivate myself to play. 8th has all but killed my drive to do so.
Cost is also a factor. I'm not talking about models, simply the expense of buying new books for all the armies you own plus the core rule book. By quitting when I did, I saved myself considerable money by not buying 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. And likely 8th.

GW's business model has long been planned obsolescence rather than minor refinements on a definitive system. With the advent of the "new GW," I had hoped things changed. Maybe not?

My suggestion to any person wanting to take up the game nowadays is "Check it out, watching being played. Figure out what your concept of a good game is, and what a fun game is. Whatever points intersect, make sure that the game you want to get into fits in that zone, at least a little."
My time is precious. This gives me a way to decide if even that step is worthwhile, plus it spurs discussion.

Then I would tell them about the older editions and how to find the books and battle reports. If they ask me my honest opinion about balance, composition and whatnot, I won't be diplomatic and I won't sing accolades of any edition that I think doesn't deserve accolades sung about it. In my mind, 8th is one of those editions. It's already there without codex creep. I shudder to think of what it'll be this time next year...
Yeah, codex creep. That right there is a deal-breaker.