Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scratchbuilt and kitbashed scifi terrain for Maelstrom's Edge and Warhammer 40K

Scratchbuilt and kitbashed scifi terrain for Maelstrom's Edge and Warhammer 40K

Over the last year and a half or so, I've been spending a chunk of time putting together various terrain pieces for a series of articles for Maelstrom's Edge. As part of the Maelstrom's Edge range, they released a sprue of terrain elements (linky) that can be added to basic structures to give them some detail, and this opens up huge worlds of options for terrain building.

Most of this stuff will serve double-duty on my tables for MEdge and Warhammer 40K, and some of it will no doubt also eventually make its way into the Underhive...

First up, a landing pad - build from the terrain sprue, foamcore, cardboard, plasticard and some flyscreen. The lift is magnetised, so it can be moved up and down.

My very first experiment was a small bunker entrance, made from foamcore and card, which wound up looking like this :

Re: Scratchbuilt and kitbashed scifi terrain for Maelstrom's Edge and Warhammer 40K

For a less foamcorial option, I found some storage trays at the local hardware store...

Which turn into this :

Painted and based...

Re: Scratchbuilt and kitbashed scifi terrain for Maelstrom's Edge and Warhammer 40K

Continuing the 'buildings made without foamcore' theme just for a little while, I grabbed a cardboard giftbox from the local discount shop...

And by flipping the lid over, and flinging bits and glue at it, turned it into this:

Fully painted:

A livestock shipping container, made from 2 doors, 4 ladders, 8 corner pieces and a couple of pieces of foamcore (for the floor and roof)

And some scatter terrain... I'm particularly pleased with the freestanding comm unit, and the big green holomap/powercell/shield generator/whatever...

And as an additional little extra, the round sprue that this stuff comes on is also rather useful!

Used here with a little plastic rod to make some pipes...

Another building, built from foamcore, roof from card, the rooftop walkway from a bit of embroidery mesh, and a liberal dose of MEdge bits. All of the bits on this building come from one sprue, with some leftovers.

Painting...

Salty...

Nearly there....

Done...

A small outbuilding made from an Ultrapro card box:

A while between updates here, as I sort of forgot that I started a thread...

So... I made a board -

And some plans... I wanted to see how far a single sprue could be stretched, and so came up with this. Uses a single sprue and a bunch of cardboard (in this case, an old manilla folder)

And in the interests of adding some area terrain to the table: a garden.

And another building and a ruin in progress...

Some more progress...

And on the table:

Time for some storage tray buildings...

I wanted to make one of them a ruin, so hacked the top off one of them, using a soldering iron as a hot knife.

I wouldn't recommend this... But if you do feel inclined to replicate it, do it somewhere well ventilated, and count your fingers before and afterwards...

Alternately, just use a hacksaw instead..

There's a little tab on the back, used for locking the trays onto slotted shelving, which gets in the way. So these were removed with a razor saw...

Next up, front walls...

Made myself a card template that fits in where I want the front wall...

Then cut a bunch of duplicates, with holes added for the doors.

The door hole isn't on the template, as the fronts will have various different configurations as I make more of these. The prototype had the double wide door instead.

Then it's just down to slapping bits on, pretty much.

Went for minimal hole cutting for these, for convenience and speed. Only the trapezoid windows are cut into the trays... Something I remembered after doing the first two should have been done before I glued the front walls in place...

Ruin is pretty much done here. The one beside it is nearly finished... Just needs the buttressing on the front.

More to come.

A new little building I threw together for an upcoming tutorial... Made from a cardboard gift box.

And an unpainted shot to show the construction:

And another storage tray building, with a build video...
    A build video, creating a building out of terrain sprue parts and a plastic modular storage tray.

https://youtu.be/5tYrLbCbMzM

Some buildings made using the terrain sprue and some plastic drainage channel.

Plantation Dome, using a plastic salad bowl and some aquarium plants:

And a western-style building, using a Plast Craft Games PVC Old West building kit.

Some little bits...

Barricades

Thermal vents

Public comm unit

Holo-map tank

Blast craters

New bunker build, from cardboard and foamcore.

Comm Tower, also from foamcore:

Garage, built from a gift box:

Before the paint...

And an experimental Cybel (teleport) gate:

I made some hedges...

Also some streetlights.

And some mobile housing of the future...

Off to the countryside...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast