Thread: Is anyone else disappointed with the Primaris & other new-style multi-pose kits?

Is anyone else disappointed with the Primaris & other new-style multi-pose kits?

I was putting together some Primaris marines last night and it struck me that they just weren't as fun to put together as their regular cousins. In the past I could sit down with a load of marine bits from different kits and build new combos with ease now I feel like I need the instructions to hand all the time as there is far less posability. In fact, in many ways the kits seemed designed to cut down on this kit-bashing element of the hobby beyond swapping shoulder pads or heads.

The more I thought about the more it occurred that AoS has been going down this route too, does anyone else find this disappointing?

I've only built three guys and my interest is waning...

Re: Is anyone else disappointed with the Primaris & other new-style multi-pose kits?

I've been building quite a few Sisters of Silence recently which are similar.

I don't mind the limited pose-ability too much. In some respects it can help prevent dodgy multi-pose models like these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	derpy warriors.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	233615

The problem comes when there aren't enough basic bodies/poses. The Primaris Intercessor squad should come with ten unique bodies instead of five doubled up.
    And the Fantasy Age of Sigmar kits of near clones look pretty dreadful:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spear dudes.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	233617

Sisters of Silence are quite good in that you can mix up the cloaks/bodies relatively easily, and you can do a reasonable amount with the arms since you get so many extras in the kit.*

*But why don't you get five matching loincloths? So annoying!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spear dudes.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	233616  
    Last edited by Lord Damocles; 19-12-2017 at 17:47.

Re: Is anyone else disappointed with the Primaris & other new-style multi-pose kits?

I think the marines are definitely one of the multi-pose ranges that work really well, by comparison the Primaris are dull. But then I get a kick out of kit-bashing while other just want to get their minis put together ASAP. It seems odd to me that GW are designing kits to be limited in posing options then they release the quick build kits too.

I was planning on building a small Primaris force but now I'm not so sure.

I've really struggled to get into AoS and the limited posing of the new kits just doesn't work for me as almost every army looks the same just with different colours. It's not helped by the fact that the newer factions mostly have a limited range of kits so you tend to see the same units in each force. I know you can build forces combining units from different factions I prefer a more thematic & unified look in that regard. It's worse in the bigger units too as you see the same basic figure repeated again and again.

I just hope they do a good job of the Aelfs and / or the Darkoath (if they do them).

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    It seems odd to me that GW are designing kits to be limited in posing options then they release the quick build kits too.
    It would seem they are trying to figure out what people are willing to put up with, and by that I mean how much they are willing to pay for a cheaper product. Make no mistake, the Primaris (and other) kits are a cheaper product simply due to the doubling up. GW does half the work and charges more money per miniature. It really does seem that half-assing things is their modus operandi now. We see it with AoS, Bloodbowl, and Necromunda, and now it is bleeding over into their #1 revenue system, in their #1 range in that system. Disregarding any design criticism, nobody can say that the quality of the kits GW is producing is not fantastic, but there is also no reason why we shouldn't be getting kits that contain not a single duplicated part (other than for something uniform and static, like a helmeted head). Every model should be almost completely unique in all of its parts. Transitioning to digital sculpting and advances in CNC tooling over the last 15 years has drastically cut down the cost of production in both time and money, so there is not much reason to cut investment in kit development much further. We should have had full 3-frame 16 member Bloodbowl teams, full 3-frame 16 model Necromunda gangs, Primaris units with not a single duplicated main part, etc. Non-unique Primaris are particularly bad, as they are all uniformed to begin with and armies made up of them have a smaller model count, and so their pose is the only thing in many cases that really sets them apart from one another. Necromunda? Well, the models are all supposed to be completely unique, and despite a bit of mix-n-match capability, it really isn't enough.

But, people continue to buy it all, and so GW has no reason NOT to continue half-assing things. There is a solution though - GW can always choose to make additional new and different sprues to expand a unit. You want to see things change though? Well, follow capitalism rule #1 - STOP BUYING, because a really good way to let a company know how you really feel is to kick their revenue stream in the nuts (that tends to get peoples' attention). Then, start writing letters stating why you are not buying, and that you would appreciate it if they would make what YOU want to buy. As they are charging a premium price, it behooves them to be delivering a premium product, but they aren't in more and more cases. We should be in a model kit "Golden Age," without any half-assing of things.
    Last edited by shabbadoo; 26-12-2017 at 11:41.
    *Things I've Done For Retail Sales *40K Project Log *Fantasy Project Log *Airbrush Information & Advice *Finishing Joins On Plastic Parts
    40K Armies: Dark Angels Tau Orks Eldar WFB Armies: Vampire Counts Bretonnians High Elves

Eloquently said shabbadoo.