Thread: Scaffolding?

Scaffolding?

Hi there!

I've been cooking some 40k terrain lately, and I've discovered a lot of DIY and 3rd party options, but there's one that eludes me: scaffolding.

I'd like to know if there's some retailer with reasonably-priced scaffolding that I can use as industrial support. I know I can make it with plasticard... but I'd rather not. I know, buying is kinda cheating, but come on, I've got a job that pays for the hobby...

Any help?

Thanks!

Re: Scaffolding?

Hm, good point.

There are several companies out there (probably it's just one producer and many repackaging companies :P ) who do L and T shape platicard beams and all of that. Those should be readily available via ebay.

I searched for quite a long time before I gave up looking. As far as I can tell, the truly industrial/construction type of terrain is all scratch built, and there isn't even very much of that to use as examples.

If you do end up making your own, making a jig will help immensely in getting repeatable results.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Scout

Scaffolding itself is usually round. You know other stuff that is round and long and you may have some of? Sprues.

Try that, see what you can do!

Cèsar de Quart,

While not true scaffolding, Wargames Tournaments www.wargamestournaments.com/ builds pressed wood products and some of it (especially their platform sets) could double as scaffolding (it is square braces vice round).

Hope that helps,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

It really is difficult to find. I've looked at miniature train stores, but their girder bridges are quite expensive usually. I was surprised they didn't sell modular girder sections to play with, but the people at the store told me the train crowd usually build everything from scratch with plasticard girders and beams from architecture model stores.

Yes, sprue parts are the poor man's beams and girders, but the problem then becomes simply "too complicated". My forte is in creativity when it comes to designing shapes to play in (with miniatures) and which look realistic still. Not in actual technical finesse. My paintjobs are not outstanding.

This guy from the first pictures in this link has some girder supports that I haven't seen anywhere else; the post is from 2011, so probably too far back:
    https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/435533-Necromunda%2C%20Scratch%20Build%2C%20Terrain.html

Mantic has this kit, which would be cool if only it wasn't so expensive (how is this small tower almost as expensive as the Basilica set?). If they sold only the girder structure in a sprue of two for 5€, I would buy 20 of them and be a happy man who has spent a 100€ on plastic casts. My dreams of industrial wasteland would be fullfilled.
    https://heretic30k.files.wordpress.c...2/img_1636.jpg

+++
    +++

Now that we're on it, another difficult thing to find:

ONION DOMES

That is, cheap objects vagely-shaped like onion domes. They sell onion domes with 80€ build-your-own-Orthodox-church kits, or even as terrain for WW1 and WW2 wargames (although too small in those cases), but they're all very expensive.

I just want shapes that can be vagely reminiscent of an onion dome. I tried Christmas tree decorations, and I know there are some that look the way I want, but haven't found them yet. My Polish-Slavic themed Imperial Guard demand a belltower.