BACKGROUND
I like the figurines and themes of several of the 40K armies, for example, cadians, chaos cultists, ork boyz, necron warriors, kroot carnivores, and neophyte hybrids. And, I would like to have games which focus on those and similiar types of figurines in an army without the involvement of a full-fledged army for each one.

SCOPE
Troop Skirmish uses units of infantry. Troop Transport Skirmish adds transport vehicles to Troop Skirmish.

THEME
The theme of Troop Skirmish is an urban setting of house-to-house combat. Units in Troop Skirmish generally start a game by occupying a building rather than anywhere in a deployment zone. The arrangement of buildings and their occupation depends on the scenario.

BUILDINGS
Buildings in Troop Skirmish have two physical forms with one form being two dimensions (2D) and the other form being three dimensions (3D). 2D buildings can be as simplistic and inexpensive as a piece of paper laying flat on the plane of the playing area. 3D buildings can be as complex and expensive as money can buy.

Troop Skirmish includes a virtual 3D building which is an imaginary form of a 3D building using a 2D building. A virtual 3D building incurs the awkwardness of doing transitions between physical play and virtual play.

The four basic buildings in Troop Skirmish are a bank, brothel, emporium, and saloon in alphabetical order. The numeric sequence of 1, 2, 3, and 4, or the alphabetic sequence of A, B, C, and D, are used as a reference to the four basic buildings in alphabetical order.

PLAYERS
The number of players in a game are two-to-four individuals, or two-on-two teams depending on the scenario and the agreement of the players. A game of two-to-four individuals has each player competing against the other players. A game of two-on-two teams has the two teams competing against each other.

MATERIALS
Besides the 40K figurines, Troop Skirmish uses the play rules of 40K 8th edition and the 2017 Indicies as follows:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resou...r_40000_en.pdf

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB...ction-ENG-2017
- Index: Imperium 1
- Index: Imperium 2
- Index: Chaos
- Index: Xenos 1
- Index: Xenos 2

POINTS COST
Each player uses the same number of points to construct an army for play in Troop Skirmish. Each 2017 Index has an Appendix with the points cost of the models and their wargear.

COMPOSITION
Each Datasheet in a 2017 Index has a symbol for its Battlefield Role. Troop Skirmish uses only those Datasheets with a Battlefield Role of HQ or Troop which have the symbols of a skull and a right-pointing triangle, respectively. Troop Transport Skirmish adds only those Datasheets with a Battlefield Role of Dedicated Transport which have the symbol of a skull inside an up-pointing arrow.

Troop Skirmish uses the terms of Patrol and Battalion to define the organization of a player's army by the number of units in a player's army as per page 243 of the 8th edition 40K rulebook as follows:

Patrol: 1-2 HQ, 1-3 Troops
Battalion: 2-3 HQ, 3-6 Troops

A player fields the organization of a Patrol or a Battalion depending on the Unit Composition of the Troop units within the player's army. If the basic composition of any Troop unit in the player's army is less than ten models, then the player's army is organized as a Patrol. Otherwise, the player's army is organized as a Battalion.

For example, the Heretic Astartes Army List in the Chaos Index contains the Troop units of Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Cultists. The basic composition of a Chaos Space Marines unit is "1 Aspiring Champion and 4 Chaos Space Marines", that is, five models. The basic composition of a Chaos Cultist unit is "1 Cultist Champion and 9 Chaos Cultists", that is, ten models. Given only these two types of Troop units for inclusion in a player's army, the organization of the player's army is as follows:
- Patrol: only Troops of Chaos Space Marines units, and no Chaos Cultist units
- Patrol: Troops of any combination of Chaos Space Marines units and Chaos Cultist units
- Battalion: only Troops of Chaos Clutists units, and no Chaos Space Marines units

KEYWORDS
Each Datasheet in a 2017 Index has a list of KEYWORDS. Troop Skirmish uses these KEYWORDS to restrict the type of unit for use in Troop Skirmish.

Troop Skirmish interprets that the Datasheet has the unofficial KEYWORD of UNIQUE if the Datasheet contains the sentence or a sentence similiar to "Only one of this model may be included in your army.".

In a review of the Datasheets of the 2017 Indicies, the KEYWORDS of INFANTRY and VEHICLE are mutually exclusive to each other on the Datasheets, and both of the KEYWORDS of INFANTRY and VEHICLE are mutually exclusive to the KEYWORDS of MONSTER, BEAST, CAVALRY, SWARM, BIKER, CHARIOT, BATTLESUIT, and DRONE on the Datasheets.

INCLUSIONS BY KEYWORDS
The KEYWORDS of a Datasheet provide the means to include units by category.

Units in Troop Skirmish must be INFANTRY. Transport units in Troop Transport Skirmish must be TRANSPORT.

EXCLUSIONS BY KEYWORDS
The KEYWORDS of a Datasheet provide the means to exclude units by category.

Units in Troop Skirmish and Troop Transport Skirmish cannot have UNIQUE, FLY, JUMP PACK, nor JET PACK.

COMPROMISES
Page 3 of the rules in the Warhammer 40,000 Battle Primer under Moving states, "If the datasheet for a model says it can Fly, it can move across models and terrain as if they were not there." Dedicated Transports with the KEYWORD of FLY can be included given that they do not FLY over buildings during play. Likewise, Drones of the Tau TY7 Devilfish can be included given that they do not FLY over buildings during play.

CHAMPAIGN
A campaign uses the four basic types of buildings of bank, brothel, emporium, and saloon. A campaign uses a zero-sum gain for wins and loses of buildings for a game result between opposing players. An unit wins an enemy building at the end of a game if the unit is the sole occupant of the building.

A set of each of these four types of buildings (bank, brothel, emporium, and saloon) from one player is a territory. Possession of a territory from an opposing player adds value to the four buildings towards the campaign victory.

A public market exists where players secretly put buildings that they have won for trade to assemble territories.

NOTE: The champaign rules above need much more development and detail. A separate thread may need to be opened to discuss and formalize the rules for one or more sets of campaign rules.

THOUGHTS
I had reached a point where I thought that I had written enough to express my thinking. There was still plenty more to consider, but at some point in time I had to stop and get feedback and input from others, especially with my local community.

As ideas came and I had an hour here and an hour there of leisure time, I wrote. I am sure there is a lack of cohesion and completeness in my presentation, but I hope that you as the reader can put the pieces together, or can see which pieces are missing which I think that are there but are not there.

After reading comments, and discussions with my local community, the next form or this document will probably be a google doc.