Thread: The Defence of Granica

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    raw recruit

Re: The Defence of Granica

So the next challenge was setting up and getting used to an airbrush. I took a couple of days to get my work space set up, familiarize my self with the set up, and of course watched a few youtube videos.

I decided to experiment on a couple of older model chimeras. One was an ebay rescue. My son had a habit of rapidly building his models to begin gaming, so all the tanks have treads attached. I will try a couple of processes to paint the treads. The first stab is to tape them off from the main body.

I also decided to do a bit of research on painting tanks and historical painting and camouflage. I discovered that red oxide was used for German tanks, and have seen suggests that the U.S. either used yeloow or simply painted on plain metal. I will go with a red prime coat, that I will reveal during the chipping process.

For the combined forces, I will go with a desert scheme for the vehicles. I will go with a couple of Afrika Korps variants. The first will be early stage vehicles that were painted gray with brown stripes. That will be the Armageddon forces. The PDF will be done in a later camo version of dark yellow with gray or brown stripes.

In any case, it will be a multi stage process: prime, hair spray, first base layer, camo scheme, chipping, matt varnish and then pin wash. That is the goal for this week with the two chimeras. Dust, mud and tracks will be the next stages.

A few photos of the start of the process. The two chimeras before. One taped off to base the treads in black and the first basecoat in red.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0210.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	234830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0227.jpg 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	234829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0225.jpg 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	234828  
    My imperial guard PLOG