Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: On female fantasy armour

Re: On female fantasy armour

Haha, what a discussion. Not the first time it has come up and it won't be the last.

I could not care less if many players want to paint up pin up girls for combat. Personally it is a no go for me, function over form in combat gear.

Just an example of late: Khalida for the tomb kings, basically a very nice miniature. Then someone had to add combat heels and a boob plate. Chances are high that I will remove/fix the boob plate. I can't remove the heels without changing the posture of the whole mini and it does not matter the way I want to use her (she does not need to walk). The boob plate I have painting issues with, the mask should be the focus, but on a body of wrapped cloth and a subdued mask, the boob plate will stand out too much as shiny metal. So it has to go.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 40, added to my collection: 14

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Just an example of late: Khalida for the tomb kings, basically a very nice miniature. Then someone had to add combat heels and a boob plate. Chances are high that I will remove/fix the boob plate. I can't remove the heels without changing the posture of the whole mini and it does not matter the way I want to use her (she does not need to walk). The boob plate I have painting issues with, the mask should be the focus, but on a body of wrapped cloth and a subdued mask, the boob plate will stand out too much as shiny metal. So it has to go.
    Didn't the original one have a boob-plate?
    Painted rather nicely as well
    Looks fine in my opinion, but then she is a Pharoah and they're known for ceremonial looking stuff like that

I think it was just the one bit of artwork where she didn't have the boob-plate
    just an extra big headdress-shoulder-thingy, ignore the crotch skull
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    I had a similar problem with an assortment of Void miniatures. Specifically, I came across a bunch of them when a store went out of business. Knowing they were sci-fi and compatible (more or less) with 40k, I bought with abandon - a decision which paid handsome dividends down the road.

Anyhow, one day I decided to create some Sisters of Battle knowing that there were a lot of female figures with guns. The problem was that they were sculpted like a more erotic version of Vasquez from "Aliens"! The helmet and trousers were okay, but why go into a combat wearing only a sports bra?

My solution worked perfectly: I just painted them neck to foot in a camo pattern, with the "sleeves" ending at the wrist. The sports bra is barely visible as an underlay to the uniform and they look much more military, which is what I wanted.

I'm the kind of guy who prefers Bounty Hunter Leia to Slave Girl Leia, but I don't have a problem with those who disagree.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.

A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Didn't the original one have a boob-plate?
    Painted rather nicely as well
    Looks fine in my opinion, but then she is a Pharoah and they're known for ceremonial looking stuff like that

I think it was just the one bit of artwork where she didn't have the boob-plate
    just an extra big headdress-shoulder-thingy, ignore the crotch skull
    From the image you linked you can already see my problem, the boob plate creates the wrong optics. Use a finger to blend it out. Now the head dress and collar frame the head. The head is the focus.
    then put a finger just under the boob plate, focus is lost and the scarab on her chest is more prominent. In my paint scheme it would be even worse.

On the sculpt it rather stands out as well, it does not blend in. So this must be by design.

Of course all of this is personal opinion, but I think the sculptor made some bad choices. He added "safe" elements and ruined the composition of elements.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 40, added to my collection: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar von Toussaint View Post
    I was going to get into a deeper discussion of evolution, but it's really beside the point.
    You brought it up, I questioned it. If you have arguments to give, feel free to do so.

Look, you can't argue taste.
    Of course you can. Has kept people occupied for centuries. Nothing wrong with discussing personal preferences. But if you bring objective points like evolution into it, built an actual case that stands up to scrutiny.

Guess what, I don't care for chain mail bikinis, but I also don't have a problem with other people buying and wearing them.

What I do object to is your attempt to make your preference morally superior to someone else's. That's a total crock. You don't like the aesthetic. We get it.

I don't like it, either, but that doesn't make it evil.
    I have only stated that, given the very definitions of what armour is supposed to accomplish, chainmail bikinis are stupid. I don't have a problem with people sculpting or buying sculpts depdicting anything of the sort. (It's a pity when it's the only option available, but I never said there's something wrong with it in general.) Arguments regarding moral superiority are indeed total crock, as is your statement that I somehow posted those arguments. Nobody said the very existence of such little figures is somehow evil. And if they did, once more, do provide some evidence. This is a complete straw man.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Well in the case of Khalida I always assumed that she was wearing what she was buried with so in this case her attire could be excused as strictly ceremonial. Also for obvious reasons undead usually need not be so concerned with protecting their bodies as living beings.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Coen View Post
    I have only stated that, given the very definitions of what armour is supposed to accomplish, chainmail bikinis are stupid. I don't have a problem with people sculpting or buying sculpts depdicting anything of the sort. (It's a pity when it's the only option available, but I never said there's something wrong with it in general.) Arguments regarding moral superiority are indeed total crock, as is your statement that I somehow posted those arguments. Nobody said the very existence of such little figures is somehow evil. And if they did, once more, do provide some evidence. This is a complete straw man.
    Someone else called it "sexist" and I was addressing that. I also misunderstood the basis for your or someone else's objection.

Since we are in agreement, the point seems moot.

As for arguing taste, sure, it can be fun in some contexts but in others it's basically like trying to talk a fan into switching allegiance to his favorite team's arch-rival. That is to say: a waste of time.

Unless there are other axes to grind, I think this thread has run its course.
    Want a better way to fight fantasy battles? Try Conqueror: Fields of Victory!

Do you like Star Wars but hate the prequels? Ever wish someone came up with a decent story about how a decadent galactic commonwealth descended into chaos and civil war? Look no further.

A proud player of 2nd edition 40k.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2