Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Darkwood Court - an Age Of Sigmar tale

Re: The Darkwood Court - an Age Of Sigmar tale

So much personality packed in such a "simple" transformation, excellent work man! Paintjob is superb.

Ooooooohhhh, lovely story-writing. A really great AOS re-imagining of those lovable, big-hatted little fellows. And since I'm not a huge fan of the fireslayer models, this is a lovely less-is-more reinterpretation of those models too. And beautifully painted to boot.

I can't read "wearing little but leather loincloths and heavy stone helms" without thinking of the Brutal Exterminators in Zardoz. Was that intentional?

Afternoon chaps and chappesses

So, I'm still behind writing wise, but trying to catch up - will hopefully be posting a new unit up by the end of this week. Fingers crossed. By way of apology, there's a pic coming up of everything completed so far, and one of my current distractions.

Muette - Thanks man, glad you like him. It was a fun little conversion to do, but I don't think I'd want to more of them. There's definitely some other races I want to show off though.

D6Damage - AH cheers buddy I miss the Chaos Dwarves and all their big-hatted, big-moustached, bull-loving shenanigans so it was fun to try and think of a fitting AoS version or homage to them. I'm not a fan of the Fyreslayers either but its surprising how much more decent they become once you take off the silly crests. Also, any Zardoz connections was entirely unintentional but now I can't get that image of Sean Connery out of my head....

Onto the pics then. First up, here's how the Court stands currently:

Looks like a decent chunk, is only about 600pts altogether haha. Still lots more to go. Would help if I didn't get distracted by this chap:

Test lineelf for my Dark Elf Blood Bowl team, the Korinth Gorgons. Really looking forward to doing these guys.

Also considering a new project for the new edition - maybe Nighthaunt, maybe Maggotkin. Maybe just concentrating on trees. So many options....

Knave.

Nice group shot, to me that looks like a great sized army, and lovely paint work.

The lineman looks like a star player, cool conversion work there.

Great project and very nice conversions plus painting!

Afternoon folks, thanks for your continued interest and comments - always makes my day to see them.

Lost Egg - Cheers fella. It looks more impressive than it is I think - admittedly there's 25 battleline, one character and one behemoth in there, but it does only total about 600pts in matched play. Got a lot more to come though. And thanks for the comment on the BB player, every elf should look like a star player

Indreth - Thanks man, glad to hear you like how everything is coming along.

Just a quick update while I work on background and contract stuff - been poking away at this chap for a week or so now and he's coming along nicely. Operation: Make This Guy Less Chaosy is almost complete.

Just the greenstuff hair and fur to do now.

Proper update to come soon, hopefully something to do with an elder of the Court...

Wow loving your conversions, what parts did you use for the Korinth Gorgons line elf? He's epic!

“They say wisdom comes with age. But wisdom is a difficult thing to find. More often than not, the older you get, the more mistakes you have made and the harder it is for you to learn from them.”
    Follies; Everard Hemp of Hammerhal.

“The oldest roots run the deepest. Enduring, resistant. Stubborn. This is not always a virtue.”
    Moralanith, scion of the Darkwood Court

~

He stood surrounded by giants. Ancient, weathered and gnarled giants, clad in dark bark that had petrified and turned to something like stone over the long cold years. They clawed into the sky with dark skeletal branches, formed huge buttresses of wall-thick dark roots at their base. Trunks and boles bore twisted runnels of faded and blackened bark, whorls and lines and patterns that formed something that hinted at ancient faces in the shadows. The cold air was thick with power, a gathered puissance that whispered and scratched at the senses. No sunlight reached these wooded depths, only faint glimmering spirit-lights and fae-lures broke the darkness with their soft blue light.

Moralanith stood there, surrounded by the ancient petrified giants, and waited for the elders of his grove to respond. The cold wind sighed through skeletal branches and around withered boughs, stony bark rubbed together and dark limbs brushed against each other and somewhere in all this faint half-heard noise, a voice made itself heard.

… NO… OUR..KING..WILL..REIGN..STILL…

“Our King slips deeper into madness every day” Moralanith failed to keep the snarl from his voice. “The hag has her claws deep in him and every time she brings him back, her grip grows tighter. End this, I beg you.”

The wind sighs again through the sky-scraping black tree-giants and it seems as though an age passes before the elders’ voice echoes through the glade.

… THE..KING..ENDURES… WE..ALL..ENDURE… THE..DARKWOOD..STANDS…

“And for how much longer? How much longer until we all bear the mark of the hag? Before we all carry the soul of a dead man in place of our own? She cannot be trusted. She is a rot at our heartwood.”

… THE..ALL-HAG..HAS..BEEN..TRUE..TO..HER..WORD…

“What? What word?” Confusion twisted Moralanith’s face. “What did she promise? What did you promise her?”

… WE..ENDURE… STAND… DEFEND… OBEY… THAT..IS..REQUIRED..OF..YOU…

The revenant turned away in disgust, anger warring with confusion in his mind. The elders were distant, far removed from the living of the grove, and had been rooted to this dark and frozen land since the beginning of the Darkwood’s exile. They were rooted in the past and repeated the same mistakes in the manner of those rooted in the past. Bitterness filled his voice.

“Stand? We will be lucky to see out another season without every one of us feeling the touch of the hag. The fleshborn numbers grow, and there is talk of haunts on the borders. We are too few. The Darkwood cannot stand long.”

Something moved in the darkness between the giant trees. In the shadows and half-light of the glade it seemed as though one of the behemoth dead trees split and broke and moved apart from itself. Bleached skulls crowded its shoulders, grinning at Moralanith with cold empty sockets. Witch-light spilled from glyphs carved into its body and from the cracked mask of its face. The treelord slowly closed fists of tapering talons as long as Moralanith’s own blade and stared down at him with a sole cold eye. Long antlers crowned its head, raking at the sky. Ingharnanasharal, elder of the Grove. The Warmasked.

…WE..WILL..STAND..WITH..YOU.. THE..WARMASKED..WALKS..AGAIN…
    ~

“Our Elders stir infrequently, content to let our King rule as he sees fit.”

“Exile has not suited them well and they lose themselves in memory.”

“The Warmasked is their anger. Their strength. Their glory.”

“As faded and broken as the rest of us.”

~

Nitromors - cheers buddy, sorry about the delayed reply. The lineelf is pretty simple really - its a standard BB Elfheim eagle lineelf, with the spikes removed from the armour and the face replaced with a shaved down DoK Sister of Slaughter mask, and a random Witch Elf blade on the shoulder guard. The hardest part was trimming down the SoS facemask to fit nicely, but the Elfheim are great models and don't take a lot of work to get a Dark Elf look. The important thing for me is that they actually look like BB players whereas the upcoming DE team (as nice as they are) look more like corsairs who just happen to have forgotten their weapons.

“Little quickens the blood of the old better than anger. Anger at how things are, anger at how things used to be. Anger with others, with themselves. If you want to rouse your elders, get them angry.”

~

“No shepherd nor guardian he, when roused from slumber.”

“No teacher nor patron either, when walk he does.”

“Born only to kill, living only to slay.”

“Wrath and rage and the ruin of foes.”

“Warmasked and warmarked”

~

Looks great; the subtle blue works really well with the woody-brown.

I atent dead!

Sorry for the silence folks - been a busy old week or so and sadly I've fallen slightly behind on the writing side of things which delays all the reveals of course. Trying to catch up this week as the Soul War release has me all excited about AoS again, if not a little apprehensive about the huge focus on magic this time round. I'm also a huge fan of the Nighthaunt stuff and trying hard not to succumb to buying them all as my wallet can't support the Court, a new rulebook and GHB and a new army. Besides, the Court is only about half done, so I should really concentrate on that above all else. With that in mind, I'm probably going to start painting my Kurnoth soon, or possibly the Man-Stag himself, depending on which one I want to reveal first. Or maybe Raest. Too many choices.

Lost Egg - Thanks man, I was pretty happy with how the glyphs and spirit sections worked against the darker wood on something this size.
    Also, just to get my hobby juices flowing again, I did some painting last night - its not technically AoS but it is Blood Bowl.... shush, I wont tell if you wont...

The Korinth Gorgons reveal the new seasons kit, modelled by first signing Jeremiah Krayle
    That's all for now - hopefully back soon with some more stuff in the next few days.

Knave

Niiiccceee!

The paint really draws the conversion together and the GS transitions are seemless, you'd swear that was an original-unconverted mini.

I'd much prefer some elves sculpted by GW in that style than riding fish.

I haven't posted on Warseer in a very very long time (well apart from sales posts) *waves to lost egg*

I really liked the Ur-Hesht story. Enough that I'm now planning to pick up some fyreslayers and make some myself. Its a really nice continuation of the idea of chaos dwarves and takes them in the complete opposite direction to there Kharadron cousins. I also like that the turning to stone isn't necessarily a curse, and could lead to more interesting versions of various units in the army.

Great job
    [Gomez and Jihad shoot some Zeds] [The Addams go to Malifaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiscala referring to my Lady J
    Well I'm off to cruise bars for goth chicks.

Afternoon folks!

Just a quick little update from me today - more of a teaser really. I'm a little distracted by the new AoS stuff. I mean, the Nighthaunts just look gorgeous and even the Sacrosanct 'Cast look great - adding robes to the SCE really makes a difference. I can't lie, a Nighthaunt project is reply tempting and may happen at some point, unless I go totally the other direction and want to do something with bigger, more armoured models. Until then, the Court is all.

Lost Egg - Thanks man I'm really happy with how the Gorgon came out. He's still recognisably a Elven player but theres a subtlety to his druchii-ness that I think the actual DE team lack a bit. I'll definitely be doing the rest of the team at some point soon.

GomezAddams - I'm honoured that it was my Ur-Hesht that brought you out of posting retirement to some extent, and of course thrilled to hear you liked him that much and are enthused enough to start some yourself. To me, that's the biggest compliment. Can't wait to see where you take them and what you come up with. And yeah, I also liked the idea of them being the complete opposite to the Kharadrons, very much a primeval take on the Duardin.

Work on the Court has resumed this week - Raest has been undecorated, and his bound riders are almost completely assembled (god I love the Vanguard Pallador models), and I've started on the background for the next unit to be revealed. Who is it? Well, this gives a fairly major hint:

The Man-Stag cometh...

More coming in the next few days.
    Knave

“Can there be nobility in failure? Honour in defeat? Or is that all just pretentious nonsense spouted by those who would make excuses for their shortcomings? There is a case to be made, I think, for stubbornness. For not meekly lying down and accepting your fate. But never for fooling yourself into thinking that you are not defeated. Accept the wound, and live with it.”

“They speak of some great beast that apes the shape and language of man, some creature that has reason and thought behind its bestial mien. Harne. Shai-tan. Amaethon. Countless other names that every pisshole village in this Realm has given this thing, this Man-stag. It’s just a beast. Just a beast.”
    Sidric Affentall, the “Beast-hunter” of Iron Marrow, last seen entering the Hrafn Weald of Ghyran.

~

Mother Aldwynter could feel him there, in the shadowed trees beyond the skull-topped fences of her garden. A raw, animal presence tempered with infinite patience. And behind it all, the red wrath of the wild. This was… unfortunate. She hadn’t expected the Reeve to return so soon. All her eyes and ears in the sprawling Thrice-Tenth Kingdom had failed to spot him, to tell her of his return. A dim, spiteful flicker of anger kindled in her breast. Gripping her twisted staff, she opened the door of her crooked cottage and shuffled out into the freezing night air. In her presence, the skulls affixed to the lintel and the fence tops ignited, pellucid blue flame licking from empty sockets and silently gaping jaws. The forest beyond the light of her skulls was dark, crowded with skeletal black trees that moved slowly in the chill winds. Her lone eye flickered from one shadowed hollow to another, searching for her visitor by sight as much as she did with her carefully hoarded power. She couldn’t see him, but she could feel him there, oh yes she could. All that animal power, that dry musk scent in the air.

“Crone.” It wasn’t a voice as such, more the huffing sigh of a large beast, the call of a male in rut.

Mother Aldwynter sneered in reply, finally glimpsed something moving in the shadows beyond her fence. Something big, crowned with antlers and branches, hunched and hulking with mass.

“Step forward why don’t you, Reeve? Let me get a look at you. It’s been so long, my little godling.”

The dark shadow stopped moving, shook with something that might have been amusement, might have simply been the movement of a beast shaking free a flea. Dark humour now touched the deep rumble of that bestial voice.

“Crone. I know you now. I know your poison.”

“Do you now, little godling?” Mother Aldwynter spat, anger rising behind her iron teeth. “You know nothing. You are nothing. A forgotten eidolon, a minor spark of power in my land. Just a king’s messenger boy who sees nothing and speaks only what his master tells him to. Run away, Blessed Loclaranam, run back to your frail little tree-spirits and think on what you do not know of me.”

Silence reigned in the cold night air for a brief minute before power roiled from the hulking shadow in puissant waves, breaking over the skull-topped fence and washing into her with such force that Mother Aldwynter staggered and clutched her crooked staff for support. The ghost-lights of her skulls were snuffed in an instant leaving only thin moonlight to illuminate the King’s Reeve as he stepped out of the shadows.

He had grown in stature since she had last seen him, was swollen with power and the raw vitality of the Wild. A towering white stag, hooved and crowned with darkly gleaming antlers, white fur marked with twisting lambent glyphs and spirals that could have been tattooed or carved into his very being, standing upright with the hunched bulk of a bull-Orruk or ogor. Branches of dark wood erupted from his hunched back and shoulders, hung with skulls and marked with more glyphs. An intelligence more than animal, more than human, gleamed behind those dark eyes. Blessed Loclaranam spoke again, that deep huffing beast’s voice emerging from a stag’s mouth that did not move.

“I know you. I know the pieces of yourself you seek, the webs you have spun to find them. The Maiden, the Mother.”

The skulls over the lintel, topping the fence and her crooked staff seemed to whisper into the rolling power that washed from him, whispers that were only on the edge of hearing, that were little more than the sighs of the wind

…Baba Yaga…

Mother Aldwynter hunched forward into the waves, could only snarl in reply as the huge white man-stag stepped back into the shadows of the surrounding Darkwood and faded from view.

“Be wary, Crone. Your game is known now, and others will seek to play. The Court is not your pawn.”

The waves of power ended with a snap, taking with it the tension that had filled the cold night air and leaving her alone in the dark, surrounded by countless whispering skulls.
    ~

He is the beast in the forest, and the man in the beast.

The wrath of the wild and the peace of nature.

The hunter circling round the ironwood, the antlers of the wild stag,

And the lifeblood that spills upon the ground each season.

Blessed Loclaranam, herald of Darkwood.

~
    Last edited by Ex Libris Scribe; 12-06-2018 at 15:41.

Oooooohhhhhh, by jingo. That's good. Loving it. You have excellent vision, sir.
    Words I learned today: reeve, puissant; eidolon

D6Damage - I aim to educate as well as entertain And thank you very much, great to hear you like him as much as I do.

Yep, I'm pretty damn happy with how the construction of Blessed Loclaranam went (I will get out of the habit of calling him Man-Stag...) and hopefully the painting will go just as well. Already made a start on him, or at least the fur, as seen here:

The fur is only about half done here, it needs bringing back up to white and the recesses lightening a bit before a few more grey glazes, but I'm already loving the look of him. By the time the branches, antlers and bark-belt are done, visually he's going to be a nice reversal of the colour scheme established so far - white with dark accents as opposed to dark wood with white accents. After him will probably be the Knight-Question, then the Kurnoth and the Palladors.... and then I just need to get 15 more Spites, another 2 woods and the King himself, which should take me to 2k points. Fun times.

Course, I might get distracted by Nighthaunt because dear Gods the Mortarch of Grief is sublime, but there's always Blood Bowl to do and an urge to get back on the Inq28 train (actual 40k doesn't really hold any appeal at the moment, not sure why but just can't maintain any enthusiasm for an army idea) or maybe just taking the Court up to 2500 or 3k... There's always the Maiden and Mother splinters of the Baba Yaga to explore...

Silly hobby magpie.

Knave.

Really enjoying this thread, a real work of art on all fronts

Hey everyone

Nitromors - That's really kind of you to say mate, thank you. Means a lot to me that everything is working for you, not just the models on their own.

Back to Blessed Loclaranam, and slow progress has been made on him - painting time has been limited due to the warm weather, several trips to the cinema (Hereditary - good, Incredibles 2 - underwhelming) and other distractions, as well as the white fur taking a while to get right. Here he is currently though:

The bark sections and branches all need glazing with sepia and black and all the details need doing still but he's coming along nicely. Shouldn't take too much longer to finish, though the reveal of Raest and possibly his Crows will more than likely come before the fully painted pics of Blessed Loclaranam. Once these are done, its back to the coalface of Spites and Dryads. Fun times.

Your comments are always welcome folks, love hearing from you all.

Knave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast