Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Age of Sigmar "The new Edition"

Re: Age of Sigmar "The new Edition"

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    That's how they goit my money last time. With those "going away" sales right after AoS hit...
    Well, yes. It seems GW figured out panicking the customers pays in good coin and will continue to employ this tactic. I mean they could have given a warning in advance or they could have put them in the last chance section but straight out pulling them proves they're just as underhanded as always.

I imagine that's how it'll work with the lines that are to be consigned to Legends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    40k rules are not free, the new AoS rules will not be free either by that logic.
    https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/w...er-English.pdf

...?
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

Mmh, so with the new starter set, is the old one going to get removed? I've always eyed it for the Khorne stuff, it all works in fantasy excepted for the lord with the hound (but I'm sure I can find something), and even with the stormcast thrown in it's better value than just the individual units, so...

The engineer thing isn't accurate? heeeeh... I've always wanted one, guess, I won't :/
    Last edited by Urgat; 09-06-2018 at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Mmh, so with the new starter set, is the old one going to get removed? I've always eyed it for the Khorne stuff, it all works in fantasy excepted for the lord with the hound (but I'm sure I can find something), and even with the stormcast thrown in it's better value than just the individual units, so...

The engineer thing isn't accurate? heeeeh... I've always wanted one, guess, I won't :/
    It is very likely, as the rules contained within will be outdated. However, you could still pick up all the contents as they have been made available separately...

https://www.games-workshop.com/fr-FR...blood-eng-2017
    https://www.games-workshop.com/fr-FR...dus-Hammerhand
    https://www.games-workshop.com/fr-FR...-Bloodsecrator

Which is the entirety of the miniatures, but the price is still better to buy the original set, I believe.
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    My mistake
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 40, added to my collection: -80

So I asked GW, and they said that yes it's going to go, and if I buy a set, they can send me an updated copy of the rules. I personnaly don't care about these rules, but it's a sweet gesture nonetheless. Say whatever you want about GW, but I've never found their customer support lacking.

I can't help but notice that all that last Edition stuff they're trying to shift doesn't really move...

I've just read the AoS map poster that comes with the new WD; it's got a bit about the realms and how they relate to each other (plus map) as well as a map of Aqshy, Ghyran & Shyish. It is good to see the fluff of AoS developing but the maps are a bit too busy and mostly just a jumble of names. In Fantasy I knew where everything was and how it related to each other and while that now comes across a bit in AoS it still feels muddled. In some ways this is a boon to the setting as it allows a great deal of flexibility but in other ways it sucks...I just don't find myself caring about any of these places, many just feel like they were created to fill in some space.

Well, the old setting was heavily based on (to put it mildly) the real world so how everything connected was instantly evident.

With AoS they made the mistake of presenting a bunch of "endless" (or rather empty) worlds that don't seem to be any less strange than the Realms of Chaos and drop a few made-up place names that didn't ring a bell at all. It simply failed to pull people's strings so fell flat on its nose.

By the way, those maps of the Realms and so on are nice, but I'm still not sure where all of that is playing out. I mean with the old setting it was pretty obvious that it was a planet, in space, as we know it. In fact it was heavily hinted that it was set in our very same universe. But what about these Realms? Where are they? Are they floating in some sort of snow globe? Are they contained within the Realm of Chaos? Are they in some other dimension? Questions over questions that could have been avoided by choosing a reasonable setting!
    Last edited by Ultimate Life Form; 12-06-2018 at 19:04.

I think the basic idea is that the realms are kind of orbiting each other in an etheric void with clumps of chaos floating around the outside...there was a (kind of) map for how they relate. It's all a bit too wishy-washy for my tastes so far.

Perhaps they should make a kind of brass machine that shows how they orbit each other like the mad-lass has in Dark Crystal

My mistake
    No problem. By the way, the new core rules are updated and online, freely to view:

https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/u..._Rules-ENG.pdf

Very pleasantly surprised by the Myrmourn Banshees. Should be easy enough to make those bases square.

The new paints as mail order only is a dick move. I have a very high threshold for going to my local GW to pick it up, actually you would need to drag me there. So sorry, but I will skip them.

Overall a nice release, I want the Grimghast Reapers (3 sets) and the Myrmourn Banshees. Been a while since I wanted something from GW.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 40, added to my collection: -80

As a VC (or should I say Undead Legion) player those ghostly things fill a definite gap in the model range for me. Finally some worthy Cairn Wraiths/Banshees/Ghost swarms. The Mortarch of Grief that has been previewed in particular looks absolutely rad, though I fear she will suffer from the AoS syndrome (= excssive pricing).

The new paints as mail order only is a dick move.
    What?
    I was going to get the green one, but now it'll be a hard pass.

The new paints as mail order only is a dick move.
    Well that makes no sense, plenty of independent retailers are getting them...

https://alchemistsworkshops.com/prod...xwraith-flame/
    https://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-...th-flame-24ml-
    http://www.triplehelixwargames.co.uk...lame-24ml-pot/

Methinks it's a mistake on GW's part putting the "webstore exclusive" badge on them... that or there's a massive communication error with the independent retailers...

Frankly I'm a bit annoyed that it's another starter set (Soul Wars) with units under-strength (see retributors last edition). Grimghast Reapers are a ten figure minimum unit, etc.

That said, the easy to build sets are fantastic, and cheaper than Shadespire's warbands to boot and Malign Sorcery is excellent... not a flawless release, but a massive improvement over last edition, and a few things done better than Dark Imperium's launch...

Chapter Master

I think you can draw a reasonably straight line of improvement from Age of Sigmar's launch to 40k 8th to AoS 2nd.

Chapter Master

After seeing the models in person, I'm slightly disappointed. Not that most of them aren't good- the sculpts are fine- but the scale creep is huge. The various wraiths won't fit side by side with the old Fantasy wraiths- even the Ghosts are a bit much. I may still get some just for the simplicity of buying a wraith unit in a box, and the added variety, but I'll be trying to cut them down to size (or converting Ghosts instead, where the problem is less noticeable).
    Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, Necrons, Tyranids
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847
    Everyone else's win totals are completely accurate.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Very pleasantly surprised by the Myrmourn Banshees. Should be easy enough to make those bases square.
    Am I seeing correctly that they're 4 for €12?
    The classic Banshee is €10 for one figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    As a VC (or should I say Undead Legion) player those ghostly things fill a definite gap in the model range for me. Finally some worthy Cairn Wraiths/Banshees/Ghost swarms. The Mortarch of Grief that has been previewed in particular looks absolutely rad, though I fear she will suffer from the AoS syndrome (= excssive pricing).
    Yeah that Mortarch is a great model, but what would you field it as if you're not playing AoS?
    Its basesize is huge.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    Yeah that Mortarch is a great model, but what would you field it as if you're not playing AoS?
    Its basesize is huge.
    I'm still in dire need of a Casket of Souls, or even a Hierotitan if it's that humongous.

The lore behind it being that by effectively absorbing the TK faction the Vampires got access to their technology and are reverse engineering their stuff with Sylvanian aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    After seeing the models in person, I'm slightly disappointed. Not that most of them aren't good- the sculpts are fine- but the scale creep is huge.
    I think the new scale is almost 40mm; my Questor Knight Stormcast mini is almost the same size as some Jim Bowen 40mm sculpts I have.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast