Thread: GDPR, A new privacy policy and TapaTalk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GDPR, A new privacy policy and TapaTalk

Hi everyone,

Yes, this is another one of those notifications about the GDPR and how it will affect things (namely WarSeer) and nothing will ever be the same again...

...only everything will be the same with one change that we hope is not long term.

WarSeer's new Privacy Policy is available to view here. This will be a living document that will evolve and change over time as legislation is wont to do.

We take the safety and privacy of the community and the people in it seriously, so if you have any concerns, please reach out to myself or TehRealNewGirl and we'll be happy to talk about it.

Which leads to the one change we will be having, hopefully not long term. We aren't happy with how Tapatalk have been dealing with the GDPR and at the moment feel its terms of service aren't enough to cover the security of our user's data. As such, we will be turning off the app for use on WarSeer.

Again, if you have any questions or concerns, send us a DM, post below or an email to forums@warseer.com and we will be happy to talk.

Thank you,

The WarSeer Mod Team
    Last edited by Teh Real New Girl; 01-06-2018 at 09:37. Reason: Had to fix link to privacy policy (it didn't work)
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Re: GDPR, A new privacy policy and TapaTalk

GDPR is a necessary evil, a cutback to a level of responsible use of data. Or at least the start of a discussion about it. Thanks for the info.

Germany has had similar laws for a long time now (since 1983, also for non digital) and I have used them (German based mail account). The downside is too many lawyers going for easy money, these laws were never intended in such a way. Because of these lawyers you see the flood of mails from companies hoping to be on the safe side.

In good quality management practice you need a data process plan and decent security (software is sufficient for most). You must store data for a purpose and can only use data for that purpose, users must agree. The agreement exists due to prior acceptance of a user agreement and like here: it can be changed. Like with Tapatalk, most websites just need to extra check plugins used. Especially the Google/Facebook data collection is illegal now and will result in a fine for these companies.

One perceived problem for businesses is the right on your own data. Any person can go to any company and request information on data stored about that person (even if they have no data about you at all). The easy way to prevent abuse is to simply ask a fee. In Germany many court cases have been fought over the height of the fee and like most vague formulations "reasonable" was the answer (most that know ask 10 Euro). Technically it is not hard, with a data process plan come SQL statements and to run them is easy enough.

In the end this is good for consumers, if consumers are aware and use their rights. Warseer seems to be handling this in a cool and controlled way, nice to see that.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 121, added to my collection: -89

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    Especially the Google/Facebook data collection is illegal now and will result in a fine for these companies.
    Facebook and Google data collection is completely legal provided it's collected within the realms of GDPR policies and you've consented to the collection of that data in return for the use of the service AND they comply with do not track/do not process/forget and data access requests. Legal opinion also seems to lean toward the idea that you can still be served ads by FB/Google et al under GDPR, simply that they won't be targeted and thus, will be "less relevant."

I suspect there will be challenges to Facebook's "agree or delete your account" ultimatum since it's complies with the letter of GDPR, but not the spirit. That said, I don't blame most companies for being on the conservative side and letting the big guys take the legal route while the enforcement agencies set precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
    One perceived problem for businesses is the right on your own data. Any person can go to any company and request information on data stored about that person (even if they have no data about you at all). The easy way to prevent abuse is to simply ask a fee. In Germany many court cases have been fought over the height of the fee and like most vague formulations "reasonable" was the answer (most that know ask 10 Euro). Technically it is not hard, with a data process plan come SQL statements and to run them is easy enough.
    GDPR requires the fee be "reasonable," like SAR before it. I suspect anything beyond a few Euros will get smacked down pretty hard.
    Last edited by Inquisitor Engel; 27-05-2018 at 16:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    Facebook and Google data collection is completely legal provided it's collected within the realms of GDPR policies and you've consented to the collection of that data in return for the use of the service AND they comply with do not track/do not process/forget and data access requests. Legal opinion also seems to lean toward the idea that you can still be served ads by FB/Google et al under GDPR, simply that they won't be targeted and thus, will be "less relevant."

I suspect there will be challenges to Facebook's "agree or delete your account" ultimatum since it's complies with the letter of GDPR, but not the spirit. That said, I don't blame most companies for being on the conservative side and letting the big guys take the legal route while the enforcement agencies set precedent.

GDPR requires the fee be "reasonable," like SAR before it. I suspect anything beyond a few Euros will get smacked down pretty hard.
    True and true. IF they comply with GDPR, which is under scrutiny.

But the legality is not that simple. On their own services Google and Facebook ToS apply. When you use a plugin, which many do, then the page owner must comply with GDPR and in many cases even with consent it can still be illegal (insurance companies). You can no longer keep it hidden behind the "data for adds" screen since you must comply with gathering the absolute minimum needed. Recently Denmark took down a page for not being GDPR compliant because they used a Facebook tracker without proper notification or sufficient reason (approved by a court).

The 10 Euros was the base line in Germany because that was the amount it costs anyone to simply get info on anyone from a city's civil affairs department. Already cities are complaining and want to have a bulk tariff, I hope it does not happen since you must comply with giving your data where you live. It will end up in court for sure if they do try.

Interesting times for sure.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 05-06-2018 at 14:09.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 121, added to my collection: -89

Marine

Sorry I'm late to this particular party but so you know, the fee is only allowed if your demands are 'unreasonable or excessive' - Data Controllers were allowed to charge an administration fee prior to implementation of GDPR but now a DSAR and other invocation of rights needs to be free of charge unless the Controller can give reasonable grounds to deem the requests excessive.

In the UK, many people haven't realised that GDPR has largely implemented the same rules as we had under the UKDPA before it, with some tweaks, confirmations and then the rather ridiculous right to portability, which in itself wasn't too crazy until the Article 29 Working Group (confusingly nothing to do with Article 29 of any legislation!) suggested the "Data supplied by the data subject" included just about anything at all, including transactional data.

Sorry for the geek out, but I've missed talking about GDPR since it went live... Because I have no life.

I'm going to follow this thread; oh, and Mods., thanks for removing TapaTalk. I would cancel my account, but unfortunately, some free forums I'm on were moved onto it...

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Korhedron View Post
    I'm going to follow this thread; oh, and Mods., thanks for removing TapaTalk. I would cancel my account, but unfortunately, some free forums I'm on were moved onto it...
    Thanks.... it's something we didn't really want to do as it's convenient for people but was something we had to do in the interests of the community at the moment. Thank you for being so supportive folks.
    Originally posted by Lord Damocles
    New Girl is the best girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Real New Girl View Post
    Thanks.... it's something we didn't really want to do as it's convenient for people but was something we had to do in the interests of the community at the moment. Thank you for being so supportive folks.
    Relax, it's fine; I don't want WarSeer sued out of existence!! ;-)