Having had a Harlequin army back in RT and 2nd ed, the news that they are back in the new codex with some stunning new models has prompted me to dust off the old troupers and build up a pure Harlequin force using 'counts as...' rules.
The general idea is to take as many units of Harlequins as possible, then make up the rest of the army using Harlequin models representing suitable units from the new codex. Things like units of Dark Reapers represented by Death Jesters and Shining Spears using Harlequin Jetbike models.
So, here's some of the source material:
Starting from the top left we have:
- Some Vyper and Raider bits along with a couple of Death Jesters. Model-wise this will become a Venom-style skimmer carrying several Death Jesters, using the rules for a Vyper.
- Harlequin Dreadnought/Wraithlord, to be joined by one of the new plastic ones.
- One and a half units of the better painted Troupers.
Next row down:
- Six metal Harlequin Jetbikes. I also have a pile of regular metal jetbikes which will fit in quite nicely when given a suitable paint scheme.
- Miscellaneous badly painted Harlequins from my early painting days, probably need stripping.
- Nine Warlocks/Shadowseers.
Lower half of table:
- Three units of ten Harlequin Troupers.
- Several models with missing arms, mostly used to make an all-Kiss unit in the past.
- Unpainted Death Jesters, painted ones behind them.
- Behind the DJs is a rather large number of character models - four Solitaires, three High Harlequins, the limited edition Great Harlequin and a couple of High Warlocks/Shadowseers.
- Also on the table are unpainted models of Jain Zar and Maugan Ra which are likely to see use as army HQs when painted in a suitable fashion.