Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: orcs and goblins tactica.

Commander

orcs and goblins tactica.

I've just had my first game with the new edition of greenskins and I must say they are much more competitive and faster. I only got a draw against the pesky woodies so I thought I'd get some tips from here.

I'll start us with the power of the waaaagh turn. When do you find it to be most effective and sneaky.
    I'll have to disagree.

Wingedserpant

The serpant with wings

Re: orcs and goblins tactica.

The WAAAAGH! is best used when your opponent has moved his units to just outside your charge range. He's there sitting pretty and thinking that his units are safe, and then WHAM! Most of your units get a speed boost and his plans are ruined (as are the faces of his units). So long as you use it when the maximum amount of units are going to benefit, it ain't wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    As a professional submarine I can safely say I'm not crazy because of playing 40k.

MadJackMcJack is right on the money with this one. There is no point in saying an arbitary turn like the 3rd turn is the best to Waaagh as it will depend in a large part on what your opponent is doing.

Against woodies, plenty of basic infantry is good for starters, then you need something to counter the WE mobility. Spider Riders are very nice in this regard, there is nothing like the look on your opponent's face when your unit suddenly moves 14" through the wood he though was protecting him.

Skirmishing squig hoppers are also quite nice as the -1 to hit will at least slightly hamper WE archery. The magic squig pipes (sorry, forgot the name) that cause cavalry to take a panic test can be handy too as WEs often rely on several small units og glade riders and the like.

I don't know WEs too well in detail (I have only fought them once) but a Wyvern or Giant may be worth considering. Although they are large targets, they are still T5 against shooting that is mainly T3 (plus the Wyvern gets a 4+ scaly save). The terror that these guys can sow amongst many small units is often very effective.

As for Magic, spells like Gorks warpath that do not require LOS can be very useful as can the movement boosting spells. Magic missiles also work a treat for thinning out dangerous skirmishers like war dancers.
    The is Force split, unbalanced. The Dark side is at war with the Light. Only the Chosen One can wield the power of both. To know the peace of the Light without becoming frozen in rigid rules like the Jedi. To channel the righteous anger of the Dark side to fight injustice without being consumed by rage and evil like the Sith.

That is the destiny of the Chosen One. Not to bring triumph to one side of the Force but to bring both into balance so they are no longer in conflict.

Commander

Okay the waaagh thing is settled; when it benefits the most units. Perhaps we could now discuss unit sizes.
    I'll have to disagree.

Wingedserpant

The serpant with wings

for orc boys i tend to find that 6 wide, and either 4 or 5 ranks deep depending on the level of missile fire works well as it maximises potential in combat, plus it's a large wedge of orcs which other generals find far more intimidating than just 5 wide. Goblin wise I havent used them too much, but i should imagine that 5 ranks of 5 is best, as they can soak up a bit of missile fire and still get the rank bonus, also you dont need to worry about maximising goblins combat potential, as, lets face it, they're craptacular at combat! also having 25 mean they fit nicely into the textured movement bases, no need to widen them

I'm currently thinking about doing all my orcs 6 wide and 4/5 long. This makes units of 24 and 30 and will always outnumber, got ranks and lots of attacks. Only dissadvantage I see with 6*4 is that you will loose your rank with 2 casualties, but since ranks are counted before combat that's not a very big problem.

Right now I am doubting between fielding a large black orc unit which will totally destroy all units in the game with support units or just place a bunch of 24 counting orc units with choppa-shield or additional choppa... I'm afraid normal orcs will just fail in combat...
    And Gorbad will rule

you could try both, have a unit of about 20 black orcs supported by 2 or 3 large orc boy units. however this could cost alot

I definitely see the benefit of going 6 wide now that everyone else will be at least 5 wide. Does anyone forsee problems with such a wide frontage? Orcs do use the larger base size; how will this affect maneuverability and deployment?
    "Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men. What is pain to Doom?"

Quote Originally Posted by Snotteef View Post
    I definitely see the benefit of going 6 wide now that everyone else will be at least 5 wide. Does anyone forsee problems with such a wide frontage? Orcs do use the larger base size; how will this affect maneuverability and deployment?

Get a bigger table... But you are actually right, there might be some problems manouvering if you choose to field orcs only, but especially with the new rules orcs can field very nice hard hitting units, so why not field them? Only orcs won't break units too often and won't win you games, unless someone gives me some arguments they will!
    And Gorbad will rule

Commander

I find the six wide, five deep to be effective. Black orcs are quite good with only fifteen. Now what should we arm our orcs with now. Your thoughts.
    I'll have to disagree.

Wingedserpant

The serpant with wings

I cobbled together a little scrips where you can compare Orc Boyz Performance.

Personally I field three units of 30 (5 wide), one with choppa and shield, one with two choppas and one with spear and shield. They are more or less equal and cost more or less the same, so I like the variation.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Quote Originally Posted by wingedserpant View Post
    I find the six wide, five deep to be effective. Black orcs are quite good with only fifteen. Now what should we arm our orcs with now. Your thoughts.
    True, 30 orcs would work best, but do cost a bit more. But why would you take fifteen black orcs? They lack attack and they really need their ranks and outnumber like all orcs do, they're pretty cheap at 13 points where other armies might have to play double the cost!

I made this unit:

26 black orcs - command; war banner @ 401 pts.

o Black Orc Warboss - heavy armour; shield; boar; Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh! @ 278

o Black Orc Big Boss - heavy armour; boar; army banner; Nogg's banner of Butchery @ 155 pts.

This makes me a unit with a static CR of: 3 ranks + banner + army banner + war banner + outnumber = 7 and a warboss in it with 8 strenght 8 attacks.... auto break anyone don't you say?
    And Gorbad will rule

that's to much overkill, same as putting a chaos lord of khorne and a exalted champion of khorne in a unit of 8 chosen kngihts of khorne.

you can better divide your strength.
    (example: lord in a orcs unit with shield and choppa, a black orc unit with the battle standart, a savage orc big'un unit with 2 choppas)
    Last edited by ardude; 16-10-2006 at 15:05. Reason: forgot
    don't trust those who can't see
    don't trust those who can't hire
    don't trust those who can't feel

just don't trust chaos

Quote Originally Posted by woytek View Post
    I made this unit:

26 black orcs - command; war banner @ 401 pts.

o Black Orc Warboss - heavy armour; shield; boar; Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh! @ 278

o Black Orc Big Boss - heavy armour; boar; army banner; Nogg's banner of Butchery @ 155 pts.

This makes me a unit with a static CR of: 3 ranks + banner + army banner + war banner + outnumber = 7 and a warboss in it with 8 strenght 8 attacks.... auto break anyone don't you say?
    ... it only takes a 30 pts Warhound unit to keep this 800+ pts unit occupied for 2 turns (one charging and one turning back to the action due to diverting). Meanwhile you only have 1100-1200 pts left to deal with my whole army.

Which is basicly the reason why super-elite-killer-units-of-DOOM (no matter which race they are from) rarely work.
    I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until it becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace. The track of your life has come to me, and it goes no further. I am your end, your utter obliteration.

- Cnaiür urs Skiötha, breaker of horses and men -

a warhound unit wont come close...

but ofcourse I have to agree, but the idea is nice

edit: indeed how about three blocks, black orcs, big 'uns and normal orcs. The black orcs go in the middle with the BSB and the general will join the big 'uns?
    Last edited by woytek; 16-10-2006 at 15:45.
    And Gorbad will rule

I still don't have the new book, but as far as armament, I'm thinking I will run a unit of 30 boyz w/ choppas and shields and 30 with addtional hand weapons. The rest of my army will be gobbos, even if they're not as good as they used to be.
    "Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men. What is pain to Doom?"

++++ Battle Standard Bearer ++++

I've come to love the BSB in this edition. It seems that he should be mounted so he can go where the action is. I can't find any good magic standard for a BSB that moves between units.

So should we have a Orc on boar or a Gobbo on a wolf?

Gobbo moves 4" further & costs half the price... hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by IcedCrow
    ...the numbers are fickle and dice are random.

Chapter Master

I won't have access to the new armybook until Saturday morning. That's the story our local company store is giving out. Heck, they said they didn't have a store copy as of this last Saturday.:confused:

Got plans to run a 6th version roster on AB, then make notes based on what I read after I open the pages Saturday afternoon. Got a game this Sunday, 3000 points against DEs. I am thinking of using (1?) unit of Savage Orcs on foot and another on boars......Hellooooooo FRENZY!! I can say spider riders, my bat winged loony, loads of NGs.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

Veteran Sergeant tangerinealtoid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by policy-boy View Post
    for orc boys i tend to find that 6 wide, and either 4 or 5 ranks deep depending on the level of missile fire works well as it maximises potential in combat, plus it's a large wedge of orcs which other generals find far more intimidating than just 5 wide. Goblin wise I havent used them too much, but i should imagine that 5 ranks of 5 is best, as they can soak up a bit of missile fire and still get the rank bonus, also you dont need to worry about maximising goblins combat potential, as, lets face it, they're craptacular at combat! also having 25 mean they fit nicely into the textured movement bases, no need to widen them
    So, here's an issue I haven't seen anyone touch on yet: if you put your Orc hero or general on a boar in the first rank of a unit, and if your unit is only 5 wide, doesn't that screw up the rank behind, since there would only be 4 orcs in the 2nd rank, due to the size of the boar base? And, do you get around this by having a unit size of 6 wide? This would mean that you'd have a 2nd rank that is only 5 wide, but that is still wide enough to count as a rank.

How about Boar Boyz with the new book?

Mounted Orc Shaman?

Which characters join the boarboyz? Shaman/BSB/Warboss?
    "There are three things I've learned not to discuss with people: Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin." -- Linus VanPelt

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory, lasts forever." -- Shane Falco

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast