Thread: Showdown (Legends of the Old West)

Showdown (Legends of the Old West)

With ACW and gangster rules, I'm mightily excited - anyone got their hands on a copy yet?
    Wuh duh ma huh tah duh fong kwong duh wai shung
    - Holy Mother of God and all her wacky nephews

Quote Originally Posted by Adept View Post
    Give me tits and guns over chamomile tea any day.

Re: Showdown (Legends of the Old West)

I picked up a copy last weekend, it's a nice book.

The focus is more on small games than the last two big battle books, there are some new campaign ideas, a new random events table and even a new gang, the Tong along with weapons and locations to go with them.

Some cool new scenario ideas with new 'fantasy legends' to go with them, including Masked Avenger, in two variants The Lone Ranger and Zorro.

The alternate settings aren't fully detailed and ready to go, there is a chapter on using the Legends rules for other settings. Much of this refers to rules from Blood on the Plains and The Alamo, which is a pain for me as I don't have a copy of them.

This chapter is more a guide to get you started with suggestions on how to handle more modern weapons like the Tommy Gun, they give examples for a ton of settings from Napoleonics to the World Wars.

What makes or breaks the book for me is the Gangster/Prohibition-Era rules. As such, how fleshed-out is that section, and will it require additional purchases (Namely Blood on the Plains and The Alamao)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I will keep this in mind in case I ever want to be a Necron bride.
    The Collect Call of the Cthulhu
    Damien 1427's Broad Collection of Tat - My attempt at actually painting things.

Well, it's not too fleshed out and depends on at least Blood on the Plains.

The tommy gun rules are given as changes from the gattling gun in Blood on the Plains, rather than complete. It gives examples of which possies from other books to use as what, for example Gangsters = Outlaws.

It's going to require plenty of work on our part to create a full and working campaign system for Al Capone, the whole chapter on alternate settings is about starting points, not ready to run eras.

Hopefully Warhammer Historical will pick some of these popular alternate settings, like ACW, Prohibition and Napoleonics and do full books for them.

Quote Originally Posted by revford View Post
    Hopefully Warhammer Historical will pick some of these popular alternate settings, like ACW,
    Here here! Some crimean war and reconquest of sudan rules would be great too.

Ah.

A shame, then. I'll throw it onto the "considersation" pile. Cheers, revford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I will keep this in mind in case I ever want to be a Necron bride.
    The Collect Call of the Cthulhu
    Damien 1427's Broad Collection of Tat - My attempt at actually painting things.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien 1427 View Post
    Ah.

A shame, then. I'll throw it onto the "considersation" pile. Cheers, revford.
    No worries, I wouldn't rush out and grab it just for the Gangsters, you'll feel robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by revford View Post
    Hopefully Warhammer Historical will pick some of these popular alternate settings, like ACW, Prohibition and Napoleonics and do full books for them.
    Speaking of which, how are the ACW bits?
    Wuh duh ma huh tah duh fong kwong duh wai shung
    - Holy Mother of God and all her wacky nephews

Quote Originally Posted by Adept View Post
    Give me tits and guns over chamomile tea any day.

A whole page for ACW, recommending army lists and weapons rules from both previous source books.

Again anyone who wants to buy this book for the extra settings, don't, you'll be sorry you did. It is a good book for the core old west game, also it has some fun one-off movie based scenarios, but all these extra settings aren't complete, it's a chapter about how you can convert the game to other eras and conflicts.

If you have Frontier and The Alamo you can work it all out yourself from there, if you don't, Showdown just tells you to go look in them anyway.

The alternate settings just give a little historical background about these conflicts, suggests which posse lists from which books would best represent which sides and gives ideas for which weapons should be permitted. If you're interested in gaming in these other periods and like the system, go for it, it's a nice adaptable system I use for a few things.

Some good websites with info about using Legends of the Old West/Lord of The Rings/The Strategy Battle System for alternate settings are:

http://www.spiritofthegame.org.uk/
    A nice conversion for Napoleonics, with more variants on the way.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRvariants
    A few good ones here, including 'Nam, Aliens, Samurai and a superb Pirates game.

I like the game, but think that they are cutting my throat at 20 quid plus a rule book. 80 odd quid on rules is just way tooooooooo much even if they are well designed. The core rules could have had a lot more to it than 3 gangs and not nearly enough skills but I guess its all about getting you to dish out the extra 60 pounds to get them and that sucks.

The main rulebook was £20, plus two sourcebooks at £18 each and showdown at £15 would be £71 the works. I'll agree It's painful if you want to buy the whole lot at once.

Frontier and The Alamo take the game off into big battles, not really needed for the main game so I didn't bother to get my own copy of them.

It's a good game just from the one book, Showdown is cool for a few extras but not needed.