Thread: The Fimir

The Fimir

I heard there was once a race in Warhammer called the Fimir that was destroyed and forgotten almost like the squats of 40K. These apparently evil Lizard/cyclops things didn't get enough sales so they were dropped around the 3rd edition. Can anyone else elaborate more on this race?
    Warmachine - Cygnar
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...58#post5204958
    My Ultramarine Log (as it is)
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142978
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Squinty View Post
    LOL - Rainbow Warriors - there's a blast from the past!
    Drogmir - you're showing you're age!
    (or excellent google-fu)

Re: The Fimir

Trust in Iron and Stone

I love these guys, though I do not think they are reptilian. They are still in the fluff, the most recent referance was in one of the White Dwarfs following the Ogre Kingdoms release. They were alluded to be allied to a sub-race of swamp Gnoblars.

Other than this, there was a post about theme here before. I have it saved someplace, so if I find it I'll post it. Here is the rundown:

They were pushed back due to bunk-ish rules and the fact they have to rape women to reproduce (all their females are sterile). The leaders are wizardly-women called Mearghs (sp?), Dirach lesser mages, Fimm (warrior class, ranging from warrior to noble), and a slave class of Shearls (sp?). If I remember the higher-up the social ladder you go the smarter and stronger you get.

They have one eye, no pupils, 3 fingers and a thumb (I think); they hate the light, live in the swamp and shield themselves from the sun with fog. They inhabit ruins of other races usually in their favored swamps and bogs. Their arch-rivals are the skaven which they beleive cursed their females in the first place. They also call the sun the 'great burning eye' or some such.

Edit: Or Check the wiki... >_<
    Last edited by Poisonpen; 09-12-2006 at 00:16. Reason: Beat to the punch...

Fishmen? What a concept! What next? Lady boys in dresses with chariots? Whats that you say? I've never heard of Elves in my life!
    Last edited by Voltaire; 09-12-2006 at 00:20.
    Graven Games - 40k review and articles

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    "I have been witness to genius in the area of this criminal endeavor. ... The kidnapping of the mayor. The crippling of the city on numerous occasions. Oh, and my glorious abduction of the commissioner and his daughter. MASS MURDER, MAIMINGS, TORTURE AND TERROR! I'VE DONE IT ALL, LADY! YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE EINSTEIN OF CRIME! Sticking some poison on the back of some postage stamps, lady? Amateur night in Dixie. Simple as that."

Well they're more like Cyclopes that went all nurgle sorta.
    Warmachine - Cygnar
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...58#post5204958
    My Ultramarine Log (as it is)
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142978
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Squinty View Post
    LOL - Rainbow Warriors - there's a blast from the past!
    Drogmir - you're showing you're age!
    (or excellent google-fu)

They're probably best remembered from Heroquest! I've still got my copy
    Sleazy builds a Reaver titan...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128296
    Sleazy paints a proper Reaver...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187866
    Old meets new meets scratch - Eldar log
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165589

I've amassed quite a bit of info on them from various sources and have attempted an army list here:

http://www.lightalliance.co.uk/hamme...pic.php?t=1914

The bast source (some unofficial) was issue 25 of Warpstone magazine which was dedicated to them.

They were designed to be a unique race to the Warhammer World, but were frowned upon because of the whole kidnapping of women issue. The end for them came about when Nick Bibby sculpted the models to be ogre-sized when the rules had them at orc-sized. The army (well, contingent) wasn't successful on the table due to this and never made it to 4th edition. Despite this, there is still hints and rumours of their existence within the Warhammer World background (such as the Dark Shadows book and the Gnoblar Army list).

hehe, never even heard of them, but they sound... interesting? Cant imagine the rape idea going down well at all in this age however
    Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way

Haha, furry rapists! Best non-PC army ever

Cant imagine the rape idea going down well at all in this age however
    It would have gone down even less well back then, as time goes by standards have been getting more lax.

Hell, if you look at Slannesh or in fact anything from 40K you'll find equally repugnant stuff, it's just carefully hidden away under fancy wording. Where as I suspect Fimir didn't get this covering up which would have hurt their popularity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jansuza View Post
    Its always a bit weird when both sides have drop pods. I always imagine the commanders sitting up in space somewhere, staring at one another through the battle barge's view slits, arbitrarily firing off drop pods inbetween bouts of swearing at one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bregalad
    BL boss: "Hey C.S., I am tired of all the red blood in your novels"
    Goto: "Okay, how about a Tau novel with blue blood? I have heard that next to Eldar, the Tau are most susceptible to Slaanesh."

I have plenty of them in my heroquest box!!

Remember kids: Sexual assault is wrong. Selling your soul to get power so that you may destroy all life and imprison them to an eternity of unimaginable suffering is A OK!

Okay, it was a fairly adult theme, and a damned unpleasant one but it hardly justfies just removing them from the fluff all together. They were more unique than any race we have now, wasted oppurtunity if nothing else. All it needed was a little modding.
    ...and not a single damn was given that day.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scarletsquig View Post
    Haha, furry rapists! Best non-PC army ever
    They're not furry. They're sorta scaly-slimey.
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yo Dawg, I heard you like Bladerunner so we put that on the 52" lcd screen in your doomwheel. And a fishtank full of electric eels to power it.

Most of the material written for warpstone 25 was at the time written to be official. Its armybook size and of fantastic quality.
    Sex (be it rape or not) has almost been taken out of Warhammer in these PC days we now live in!

Just been doing a Google search on Fimir to see if i could dig up anything besides the whole: "they are rapists and kidnappers that live in mists who are slimy and hive mind like, ohh and they might be half daemon".

Found 3 PDF's that where samples of the WS25 issue.

Good bits in there. The first is standard fare. The second deals with death rites and sacrifices, (VERY well done IMHO, in good taste yet incredibly informative), I can provide links if the Mods don't mind, (how do I tell who’s a mod anyway, locked thread aside). Frankly, the article has fired my interest because it goes beyond the stereotype presented every time you ask about them. In fact looking at the contents page less than a tenth of the background deals with the rape and birth sections. the rest either deals with between times or totally separate bits, (based on names only here so I’m guessing).

And I bet that issues been out of print for a while, so getting hold of it would be a sod.
    Its always a bit weird when both sides have drop pods. I always imagine the commanders sitting up in space somewhere, staring at one another through the battle barge's view slits, arbitrarily firing off drop pods inbetween bouts of swearing at one another.
    Goto: "Okay, how about a Tau novel with blue blood? I have heard that next to Eldar, the Tau are most susceptible to Slaanesh."

this is the fella lurking in peoples copies of Heroquest, what do you reckon he could be used with now (proxies).

http://popito.iespana.es/warhammer/taller/fimir.jpg
    Sleazy builds a Reaver titan...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128296
    Sleazy paints a proper Reaver...
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187866
    Old meets new meets scratch - Eldar log
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165589

And I bet that issues been out of print for a while, so getting hold of it would be a sod.
    Back issues should be still availiable. It was only the issue before the current one, i got mine a couple of months ago, so im guessing its still freely availiable.

That recent? I figured it would be 10 years or more back with the way GW has quietly brushed these under the carpet.

The Fimir also had a pretty long entry in the Beastiary section of the original Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay book-- the one from the mid 1980s. Some really great source material in that book, all in all.

The same beastiary accounts for my screen-name-- in the entry for Ogres, there was a "translation" of a Ogre mercenary captian, talking to his employer.

The Ogre says, "Oi, Slim! If you'll shift yer starters, we'll make breakfast." This is put into normal human speech as, "Excuse me, insignificantly small person. If you will redeploy your front line, we will engage the enemy." My best friend and I have been calling each other "Slim" ever since...

Chapter Master Sergeant Uriel Ventris's Avatar

I have read (and forgot where, unfortunately) that the reason they got rid of Fimirs was the same reason why they had to get rid of the fifth chaos god. I think he was supposed to represent chaos undivided, or the father of the other four, or something. Anyway, one of the original game designers who created the Fimirs, this chaos god, and a bunch of other crap while working for Games Workshop left BUT kept the licensing rights for all his intellectual property, so all that crap went with him. I wish I could give some reading info to back this up, but hopefully someone else has heard of this and can corroborate my story.