Eldar Craftworld Table
I thought some might be interested in an Eldar Craftworld terrain project I did for my own entertainment.
>Use these tips at your own risk! Use your common sense!<
Like most terrain, it is created from construction grade extruded Styrofoam. I don’t go into much detail on actually putting it together.
After cutting, sanding, and gluing the pieces together, drew on a drawer full of beads and buttons I’ve collected to look for waystones. I was able to extract the centers of about a dozen buttons giving me a number of hemispheres that could be made into jewels. The backs were clipped off with metal clippers and they were hot-glued on.
I then put on sweeping, curving, semi-circular patterns on the walking areas with a sharpie, creating a slight indentation. The idea was that these would show up with drybrushing. However, since I went with an acrylic spray to completely cover the piece I had to paint on the patterns manually.
Presently, the terrain was blackened with black housepaint, followed by a heavy drybrush of Burnt Umber.
Now, two test pieces were created, one drybrushed traditional style that had a weathered, ancient look and another based with butter-colored acrylic spray then spray-highlighted with ivory. After much debate and polling, I decided to go with the newer-looking terrain.
The spraypaint used was Design Master Butter Crème and Ivory.
Spraying the terrain was an unpleasant affair, that would much better be done outside. I found it a temptation to hold the can really close to get a thorough coat, but this made the spraypaint run. Much better to put on two even coats at a more reasonable distance.
After the Butter Crème I sprayed the extremities and high areas with ivory.
Once those were dry it was on to the fun part: detailing. A brown wash (ink and Vallejo Chocolate Brown) for the curvy patterns. For the jewels, I decided to go with one of my favorite Vallejo colors, Scurf Green. I think they would have looked delightful in a deep red, too.
If I had it to do over again I would:
· Be careful to keep the larger pieces straight.
· Base coated with brown housepaint rather than black with a brown drybrush (since it was re-coated with spraypaint anyway)
· Waited until summer and did the spraying outside.
· Made it much more elaborate and larger (I’m going to buy some two inch thick styro for the next shot).
Blue Table Painting