Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Epic 40,000 vs Epic Armageddon

Re: Epic 40,000 vs Epic Armageddon

On the air subject I have to agree with KTG, there is no way of making realistic use of air on the table as a constant, I love the Zzooooming over the battlefield thing I think thats ace!

Back to epic40k Vs. The best

The main problem I had with Epik 40k was that the FEEL of the game was lost for me, by getting rid of all the specific guns and replacing them with firepower I thought really lost the feel!
    I know your argument is that all the 'essential' weapons were displayed with different stats, but you are refering to Titan weapons and things like death strikes.
    So to combat that argument E:A is coming up with a new system for adjustable Titan weapons & Titan damage, also you can custom make certain titans to your whim & there are now several varients of titans available so you can buy the custom job you want. If you want the ability to adjust Titan weapons so you can tailor make your force to destroy a different kind of enemy then I say SIR, PLEASE!

So if your saying Epic 40k was a greater game because it had a Titans that really stood out, thats great but may you eat your words and wash them down with hush juice when the new E:A titan rules are released.

...Which should be 2019...& I'll be dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by (Evil)Ash View Post
    Jesus H Christ, GW is really taking it slow on the 4th edition, by the time they've redone all the needed codexes I'll be a senile old fart

'Reaver' was working on an expanded damage tables set for Epic 4th edition that I've been using for months in friendly games (With a minor modification that changed damage results that reduced the number of turns to reducing the overall speed, and change the speed/turns table into 10cm divisions... these changes are going to go into the next version of the rules Reaver compiles).

http://elf.planetquake.gamespy.com/E...ACoreRules.pdf

We (My gaming group) use the damage tables in conjunction with the Modular Titan Weapons list:

http://elf.planetquake.gamespy.com/Epic/AM2.11.pdf

When used together, these two documents make for some very cool games that may be what you're looking for!

Good stuff C&E. I'll be trying that out next chance I get.

-Malakai
    -Malakai

You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a God - Velvet Acid Christ

Just a query from an epic newbie, do Tau etc. exist in the Epic40K rules format? Where would you find the rules? Is that in the Taros Campaign Forgeworld thingy? Are they any good?

Having never played either, my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'd have to side with the Epic 40Kers. Why? I'm an armchair general, not an armchair captain. I don't think it should matter whether my falcon is armed with a scatterlaser or a starcannon - I'm irritated by micromanagement, which is one of the main reasons I'm fairly uninterested in RTS games.

Furthermore, the detatchments in Epic40K look like 40k armies in their own right, as they should. They provide a truly combined arms approach, which it ultimately ought to - Those EA formations of 6 FirePrisms just look a little odd to me. 6 Fire Prisms plus 2 falcons loaded with aspect warriors and vypers flying in formation - that's more like it.

On the flip side, the Epic40K firefight rules sound daft. Yet the actions system in EA confuses me - I can't comment cos i don't know it yet...

A really interesting conversation though guys, well food for thought.

Hi. If you are an E40K player, you should take a look here:

http://www.epic40k.co.uk/rules/epic/epicindex.html#tau

The Tau never appeared officially in Epic40K. However, there is an army list for them in the old Epic Magazine, numbers 9 and 10.

You may need to keep an eye out for them on eBay.

All the best.

So dare i take the comparison one step further to include NetEpic in the comparison?

I see some here have already written that if its' not GW they'll not play it but as a noob on the Epic side of things as well it seems to have a fair following along with complete army lists.

I've never played a proper game of either, only some fiddling about with tanks and odds and ends, but I preferred the presentation of Epic 40k. It just seems less...fussy, than Epic A. It's like *blam* "Oh, eight tanks down. Damn." - unconcerned and distanced commanding rather than up close and personal like Armageddon. I am habitually suspicious of any stats that look like they can be...exploited - and the more stats there are, the more potential there is for a player to spot a way of using a game mechanic in a way that isn't in the spirit of the thing. Not cheating, and not even bearding exactly, just a way of using game logic that happens to spoil the atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinners
    Can we not have discussions about communism? Cheers.

I'm not aware of much of that going on in E:A. Some units are better value for the points than others but you get that in all games.
    Where's the kaboom?

I am a bit biased.

SM/TL was what got me started in wargames , and so I still keep a particular fondness for that game. When Epic 40k came out I was thrilled. I tried out the system and I thought the core system was quite interesting, fluid, and challenging.

After a lot more play, we realised the system was completely imbalanced. Space Marines were just the best army by very far, Eldars were just too fragile, IG infantry was worthless, etc. Mostly due with the fact that armor was the to-hit requirement, with no save for the vast majority of units.

What finally did it, was when we realised that he best army out there was simply X times Land Raider. Just make armies with maximised amounts of Land raiders, some flyers, and you would win versus anything. That's the best Epic 40k army, period. What's the point of a game so simplified, that it's imbalanced and that there is a single unit you can take without any limitation that just owns any other army composition?

E:A has the most impressive, challenging, well-thought rule set of all the versions, with a tad of bittyness (no where compared to 40k or WFB for that matter), that still allows for huge battles in little time.

I Vote Epic: Armageddon!

Milk, heaven forbid that you actually exercise some self-control and play with armies that are interesting and balanced for the sake of a fun game, rather than minmaxing to hell and exploiting the system! Who's fault is it that you play the game in a way that isn't fun? Land Raiders are supposed to be all-powerful - which is just as well since a balanced, realistic space marine army would have a maximum of half a dozen and quite possibly none at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinners
    Can we not have discussions about communism? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by hereticdave View Post
    So dare i take the comparison one step further to include NetEpic in the comparison?

I see some here have already written that if its' not GW they'll not play it but as a noob on the Epic side of things as well it seems to have a fair following along with complete army lists.
    NetEpic is fan-created, based on SM2/TL. If you like SM2/TL, you'll probably like NetEpic even more. I view it as an enhancement. Some of the quirks have been smoothed out. The biggest change is that players alternate when moving detachments. Also, order counters aren't revealed until a detachment actually does something. However, as you mentioned, a lot of players won't even consider it since it doesn't have GW's official stamp of approval.
    "I don't believe in destiny or the guiding hand of fate."

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Milk, heaven forbid that you actually exercise some self-control and play with armies that are interesting and balanced for the sake of a fun game, rather than minmaxing to hell and exploiting the system! Who's fault is it that you play the game in a way that isn't fun? Land Raiders are supposed to be all-powerful - which is just as well since a balanced, realistic space marine army would have a maximum of half a dozen and quite possibly none at all.
    Sure you can add House rule self limitations...

That doesnt change the fact that the core system is so simplified that troop type choices are nearly irrelevant, and that the armies have no balance against themselves!

Have you ever played the game?

I am a huge fan of Epic: Armageddon because of one thing: Objectives. The game is about victory conditions, not just rolling dice. Just lining up across from your opponent and shooting until dead is not only not the best way to win, but is more than likely going to cause you to lose. That was the problem with E:40k, Marines (esp land raiders) were just hands down better at the number-crunching dice rolling that wiping out the other side was a viable strategy.

I also like how in E:A that a "firefight" between two forces is suppose to coincide with a game of 40k, so if you wanted to be really crazy (like our group was) you could "zoom in" and play games of 40k to represent what was going on. It took forever, but was a great load of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by orangesm View Post
    The armies that do not have official list yet, like the Tau and Tyranids are in development - open development, which you can take part. Both are a fairly solid right now but are still in play-test mode.
    where can we get a copy of these lists and will they be making figs for them does anyone know?

currently my 11 year old son and I are going to play 2nd edition SM, but Id be willing to move to EA if they support it with figs and some product.

Its near impossible for me to find Tyranids for my son so he can field a small army right now.
    Love games?

Me too.

Check out my gaming blog and give me your comments on any of my game posts. www.fungamesroom.com

You should drop on over to the Tactical Command web forum:
    http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php

It's the most active Epic forum on the web.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Thread closed for four-year threadomancy.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by BigbyWolf View Post
    I've often found myself wondering what, in this very same situation, would yabbadabba, do?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3