Thread: The Departed - I don't get it *spoilers*

The Departed - I don't get it *spoilers*

No, not the majority of the film, I got that!
    My best friend got me the uber special edition for my birthday, and I think it's a cracking great film but there's one thing that for the life of me I do not get.

I'm not the biggest fan of Scorsese's work. I mean I like his movies, but I wouldn't quite call them the masterpieces everyone thinks they are. Best film of his next to Taxi Driver
    This one question is seriously bugging me though, and once I get a satisfactory answer I'll be able to watch it again with even more enthusiasm...
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamatoMusashi View Post
    Magnus' actions in wiping out most of the Astropaths on Terra when it was already too late just makes him look like a bumbling buffoon. He might as well finish up by saying "Uh-oh, spaghettios!" with a canned laughter track appended, then slipping over on a banana skin accompanied by a comedy whistle sound.

Re: The Departed - I don't get it *spoilers*

The Hong-Kong classic Infernal Affairs, on which The Departed was based, is on Film 4 tommorrow night, you could try watching that for answers. Personally I think its reasonably obvious that its done in revenge for killing Martin Sheen (haven't seen it since it was out, can't remember names), Scorcese doesn't spell it out for you how Mark Wahlberg knows exactly but if he did it would probably have destroyed the shock ending and ferchristsakes do y' really need everything to be spelt out for you to enjoy a film as good as The Departed?

Lol, yes, I need to know, unanswered questions annoy me!
    Might give it a watch tomorrow...
    Magnus' actions in wiping out most of the Astropaths on Terra when it was already too late just makes him look like a bumbling buffoon. He might as well finish up by saying "Uh-oh, spaghettios!" with a canned laughter track appended, then slipping over on a banana skin accompanied by a comedy whistle sound.

I agree it seemed a bit random to me to have dignam come back at the end, he didn't have the largest role in the movie by a longshot. I am pretty sure he does it because dignam figures out he's the mole.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?

I'm drinking wine and eating cheese and catching some rays, woof, woof, baby!

My theory is that the envelope that costigan gives the therapist has information for her to give to dignam, basically cluing the guy into everything that happened. This is partially supported by the fact that costigan only wants the therapist (whats her name again?) to open the envelope if he tells her to or if something happens to him (which did, he died). At least that is the only possible connection I can see in the movie that could lead to dignam turning up and killing sullivan.

I hadn't thought about that; I just assumed that because we never saw her opening the envelope it's contents were irrelevent - something like an "I'm dead but I love you" kind of thing
    I guess that could be the link...

I agree, it's kinda odd. That scene was the only bit that didnt really work I thought.

Does anyone else wonder why Whalberg was the only actor in the film to get an Oscar nom, since his was probably the weakest character?
    HIGHBURY 1913 - 2006

Yep, I seriously am wondering why he got an oscar nod when he had such a small part....

Quote Originally Posted by Kornanater View Post
    My theory is that the envelope that costigan gives the therapist has information for her to give to dignam, basically cluing the guy into everything that happened. This is partially supported by the fact that costigan only wants the therapist (whats her name again?) to open the envelope if he tells her to or if something happens to him (which did, he died). At least that is the only possible connection I can see in the movie that could lead to dignam turning up and killing sullivan.
    I thought this was it too (although I had to have it pointed out to me).

Wahlberg wasn't in the film much but he sure was memorable. Compare with Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love.

I don't like to see Scorcese doing remakes. It was fine and all, but...meh.