Page 378 of 379 FirstFirst ... 278 328 368 376 377 378 379 LastLast
Results 7,541 to 7,560 of 7576

Thread: "ZOMG! Doctor Who (& Torchwood)!"

Chapter Master

Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who (& Torchwood)!"

Eh. Just watching the opening sequence made me sure I'd hate this episode. Quarter of the episode left and nothing has challenged that impression.

Is this season just an extended rant about science and industry being terrible?

Also... that ending (for the station people). There is zero reason

Also... the other ending. The melodrama! Gasp! Shock!

So... is this going to last for half the next episode, or just a quarter?
    Last edited by Voss; 14-05-2017 at 03:10.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

The episode was only worth watching for the season arc bits and the trailer for next week. It was even worse than the London frozen Thames episode. Still not as bad as anything from the last full season though.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Okay episode I guess.
    Space station was stupid as was the plot but I guess it has to be stupid otherwise it wouldn't be Doctor Who.
    Decent banter between the Doctor, Nardole and Bill at least.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Chapter Master

I'm not liking Nardole. he was amusing in Husbands of River Song, but so far he's just been whiny and rather unnecessary. Being under the Doctor's orders to order the Doctor to stay and babysit doesn't work, because the Doctor just says screw it and comes back anyway before the tea gets cold.
    And lo, the Return!

Chapter Master

Wow. That was... Really terrible.

There were a few interesting bits that had nothing to do with the actual story.

But it was very obviously written by someone with no concept of computers, or any sense or sanity.

Computers and random numbers: seriously, no. While they arent great at true randomness, varying numbers for multiple function calls is absurdly easy.

'Even the tiniest program can send email' - er, no. Seriously no, there is any reason for the 'programs' to have that functionality. There isn't even any reason for the system to have that kind of access or functionality.

This season is becoming increasingly baffling and nonsensical. The payoff with the Vault better be worth it, because the filler is awful.
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Wow. That was... Really terrible.

There were a few interesting bits that had nothing to do with the actual story.

But it was very obviously written by someone with no concept of computers, or any sense or sanity.
    Yes, Moffat wrote the episode.
    Don't worry though, next week we've got Peter Harness(he wrote Kill the Moon!) helping Moffat write the second part of the episode where the aliens actually invade.

Maybe they'll get beaten by their reliance on a not random random number generator.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Pyramid at the End of the World
    Idiot ball episode.
    Also GMOs are bad and you need consent or else it's not love.
    Plan B kill it with fire

Chapter Master

Last season was the absurdly anti-war and especially anti soldier, this one seems anti science, which is baffling for Dr. Who.

I like the remote control of analog watches, absurdly young supreme generals, and the complete lack of any need for the prior episode.

The acting is also...just bland. Really, I've never heard a more lackadaisical and uninterested mayday call, or 'fearful yelling' in general, and the dialogue just drones on and on without going anywhere. Amazingly boring incoherent gibberish. Power is consent, love is slavery, fear is impure? They do understand that they want to produce something entertaining, interesting and/or vaguely thought provoking? The actors could barely stagger through their lines.

But then watching a video in the digital age is supposed to be absolute proof, somehow.
    Last edited by Voss; 30-05-2017 at 22:07.
    And lo, the Return!

This last set of comments doesn't bode well. I still haven't watched episode 4 or beyond yet - take that as a sign of my enthusiasm for this series so far...

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post
    This last set of comments doesn't bode well. I still haven't watched episode 4 or beyond yet - take that as a sign of my enthusiasm for this series so far...
    Its rough. The annoying thing is, the potential is apparent. But Muppet decided he'd abandon characters, fun, the plot arc for the season, and any sense of entertainment to find a soap box and deliver what he apparently considers to be a very scathing and erudite rejection of modern society. The downside is that it's pretty much delivered as 'Like, it's bad, mmkay?' And you can tell the actors are either chomping to get on with actually acting already, or have entirely checked out.

I can't actually tell if the new companion is even vaguely interesting since she's either a) reacting to Moffat's strawmen, b) holding an idiot ball (particularly the last couple episodes), or c) been firmly reminded that the character is a lesbian, and for the next five minutes has to play that up, despite having the chemistry of a block of wood, and it being entirely irrelevant to the plot, the Pope or the U.N. Secretary General.

And I so wish I was kidding.
    Last edited by Voss; 02-06-2017 at 01:57.
    And lo, the Return!

Lie of the Land
    Mummy saves the world from evil mummies....
    It wasn't as bad as last episode, at least until the mid-way point where bill meets the doctor and then it turns out there was no real threat and they just go solve the problem using the power of love because of course they do.

Next weeks episode looks more fun at least.
    Plan B kill it with fire

Chapter Master

The prize point of all three episodes was Missy lecturing the Doctor on his hypocritically narrow and myopic definition of good.
    It in no way required the other 137 minutes of footage between the three episodes (nor honestly the one before, where they set up the 'necessity' of Bill's biggest idiot ever moment in the pyramid), but hey, one good thing for every 4 episodes is... sadly an improvement over last season.

But really, it could have been at the end of Knock, Knock, when the Doctor entices her to have a date with take out and the promise of a story with children dying.

@unwanted- you have an amazing positive outlook. I took the moral as beating lies with more lies... if not an outright psychotic break where imaginary friends redefine the world.
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    @unwanted- you have an amazing positive outlook. I took the moral as beating lies with more lies... if not an outright psychotic break where imaginary friends redefine the world.
    I don't give the writers enough credit to intentionally put stuff like that in the show.
    I'm just glad the story has ended and we can go do something else.
    Last edited by theunwantedbeing; 07-06-2017 at 00:04.
    Plan B kill it with fire

Knock knock: Different take on the old haunted house idea, and David Suchet brings his usual class and quality. The 'dryad' make up and effects were good, and for once I didn't get the final twist too early on. Despite a few nagging plot issues, this is a big step up from the previous episode.

Oxygen: Interesting idea of evil corporation treating oxygen as more valuable than people, but I think we've seen this sort of thing before in Who (and Total recall). I did like the idea of the smart suits doing the dirty work and the idea that distances are measured in breaths. Again though, a few too many plot issues, but I really think this is me trying to analyse rather than just accepting it and sitting back to enjoy the show.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    I don't give the writers enough credit to intentionally put stuff like that in the show.
    Oh, I phrased that badly. Don't take that as me thinking the writers are being clever, but rather how I read that particular case of insanity.

'Course, my cynical side says the whole point of this season is to set up either making a baby time lord with Missy, or a female regeneration to set up a relationship with the lesbian companion. (Since Nu-Who has consistently hammered the romantic relationship button with few exceptions).

I sincerely hope there is more payoff to the Vault than what the ending of this last episode indicated. My tolerance for angst-ridden redemption arcs is really low.

I'm just glad the story has ended and we can go do something else.
    Same.
    Last edited by Voss; 10-06-2017 at 04:52.
    And lo, the Return!

I'm not sure what tonight's offering is going to be like, but this has been a pretty poor series thus far. It does feel like a critique of modern society, which I empathise with, but it's poorly executed and the villains are very weak. The whole brainwashing of people by a dictatorship based on an alternative religion was much more effectively shown in the old television drama the Knights of God from 1987, which ironically included Patrick Troughton among the cast members. Doctor Who didn't need to travel down this well worn path, especially given how poorly it has been written.

Capaldi is doing his best with some very poor scripts and plot lines, but everything has felt very tired so far this series. Apart from the first episode, which really was very good, the rest has ranged from mediocrity to absolutely appalling. It's very disappointing.
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

The Empress of Mars
    Watch this one with the sound off, and don't bother with subtitles.
    Plan B kill it with fire

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    The Empress of Mars
    Watch this one with the sound off, and don't bother with subtitles.
    Some of the music is quite nice, and recalls some of the old classics. But... yeah. The dialogue and characters are diving headlong for stereotypes. It's a bit baffling where the ego of the antagonist(s) comes from in the face of... well, everything that is so far outside their experiences. And the Martian 'code of honor' was randomly smeared all over the place to contradictory and bewildering effect.

Not sure why Bill is suddenly a movie buff/expert (and appears not to understand the Doctor at all, given the things she's reeling off with a chipper 'You'll like it')
    Nor any idea why Nardole picked up the idiot ball from the three parter, but it comes off as a complete reversal of 'Duty, duty, duty' Nardole from the first half of the season.
    Last edited by Voss; 11-06-2017 at 03:42.
    And lo, the Return!

Extremis / Pyramid at the End of the World / The Lie of the Land

Interesting but felt really rushed with some choppy editing. Too many holes and just because elements for me. I also get that the Doctor is alien, and thinks alien, but no need to be such an ******* and laugh in Bills face after his test caused her to have a powerful emotional reaction.
    I think this mini arc has suffered from time constraint issues, despite being a three parter. Too much convenience, jumping about and wtf bits / holes.
    I do like the monk make up though. Very creepy and sinister.

This series is wobbling pretty badly - its going to take some awesomeness to redeem it. Hopefully (as seen in some of the spoilers whored about by the BBC) the returning characters and foes will do it.

Chapter Master

I think this mini arc has suffered from time constraint issues, despite being a three parter. Too much convenience, jumping about and wtf bits / holes
    Gotta disagree with you here. If anything it suffered from too much time (and having to shovel hard to fill all the space), especially for a story that was essentially the Silence, Mark 2. They also didn't do anything with it or have any consequences whatsoever. They supposedly murdered entire city blocks and enslaved people in camps... and... 'it was all shooting a movie or something. *shrug.*' The world reorganized under a murderous totalitarian regime would leave a few marks, even if people forgot about it. Where are the dead, how do people react to waking up in work camps? Etc, etc.

The only way it would actually function is if they were captured off world and stuck in a simulation and part 1 was the doctor breaking out a simulation and part 2 was breaking Bill out. Having it all actually happen and then ignoring the consequences is just crap writing, especially for a season in which the Doctor is living in linear time and not simply sloping off once the baddies have been foiled.

The 'monks' themselves were pretty laughable in design. Not in a cheesy way, but in 'slightly distorted corpse, that's all you've got, really?' way.
    And lo, the Return!

Page 378 of 379 FirstFirst ... 278 328 368 376 377 378 379 LastLast