Page 3 of 377 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 7523

Thread: "ZOMG! Doctor Who (& Torchwood)!"

  1. #41
    Chapter Master Acolyte of Bli'l'ab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK dyson sphere
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Damien 1427 View Post
    I wouldn't bother salty, Acolyte of Bli'l'ab hates the new Who regardless.

    Which makes me wonder why you watched, if you knew you'd hate it.
    well, firstly because someone has to be the voice of reason to speak out against the crap and secondly because it pisses me off enough to give me the drive to make me creative myself.
    REAL Necron fans listen to Death-Robot Music ;
    http://www.myspace.com/carnivoreadaption

    Latest Cyber Warfare Records release : (10th sep)
    http://www.myspace.com/minotaurburning

  2. #42
    Chapter Master salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,182

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Damien 1427 View Post
    I wouldn't bother salty, Acolyte of Bli'l'ab hates the new Who regardless.

    Which makes me wonder why you watched, if you knew you'd hate it.
    Exactly, which is why I bothered. This is at least the second thread about the new Dr Who that Acolyte has posted in and repeatedly expressed how much he loathes it.

    You should know that the people who are posting in a thread professing excitement at the new series are probably going to be those who like it, or are interested in watching for anything more than to slate it afterwards.

    Salty

  3. #43
    Chapter Master Acolyte of Bli'l'ab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK dyson sphere
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    people that make their own music at home usually do it because they hate chart-pop music and the sheep mentality that comes with it. Its the same thing but in the sci-fi genre.
    REAL Necron fans listen to Death-Robot Music ;
    http://www.myspace.com/carnivoreadaption

    Latest Cyber Warfare Records release : (10th sep)
    http://www.myspace.com/minotaurburning

  4. #44
    Chapter Master Getz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gravesend, UK
    Posts
    4,256

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Christ, I don't think the new Who is a patch on the old, but that doesn't stop me enjoying it for what it is...

    I'm really getting into David Tennant's Doctor. I respect Christopher Eccleston immensely as an Actor, but his casting as the Doctor made very little sense. The Doctor doesn't run around in a Leather Jacket looking normal. He should also feel slightly out of place. I didn't get that at all with Eccleston's Doctor.
    Power Armour is for Wimps! Real men go into battle out of the back of a Valkyrie at 500 feet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen.Steiner View Post
    Getz for Lord Solar!
    Renegades and Heretics Project Log. Last updated 16/3/08

  5. #45
    Chapter Master Damien 1427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Essex, Ol'Blighty
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte of Bli'l'ab View Post
    well, firstly because someone has to be the voice of reason to speak out against the crap and secondly because it pisses me off enough to give me the drive to make me creative myself.
    Yeah, but every time someone mentions Who you seem to show up as if summoned by infernal energies to go "It sucks and RTD smells of goats urine!".

    Yeah, we know. We know you don't like it. I think it's great you don't like it. There's no need to harp on at every mention of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    I will keep this in mind in case I ever want to be a Necron bride.
    The Collect Call of the Cthulhu
    Damien 1427's Broad Collection of Tat - My attempt at actually painting things.

  6. #46
    Chapter Master salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,182

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    EDIT: What Damien said

    Look, we get it, you hate the new Who and everyhting about it. But do we really need to hear you argue the same thing everytime someone mentions that they like it? Some people like it, some people dont. If you dont like it, why bother posting in a thread full of people who do. Generally I'm not an argumentative person, and if I dont like a movie or aspect of a movie or TV show (300 for example) I'll say why. But I at least try to argue it in a manner other than "OMG Dr Who is crap 'cos the costumes suck and the wrtiers are crud and the old ones were better FTW!"

    I'm dropping this argument here and now (because, frankly, I dont fancy the Mods will take kindly to it).

    Salty

    P.S. I agree, Russell T Davies cant write for *****

  7. #47
    Chapter Master Reabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte of Bli'l'ab View Post
    The Judoon looked like a fanvid done on 50 by a pair of goths who think fake leather, matte plastic and chains is the height of intimidating.
    Compared to the Cricketers with handlebars on their head which eventually turned into the Doctor's most dangerous enemies? Or the ever scary pepper pots with plungers? The whole idea is that it's space fantasy done on a fiver. (Compared to, say, Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars)
    I understand your view point, of course, but, come on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte of Bli'l'ab View Post
    They looked like men in costumes.
    And Cybermen don't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte of Bli'l'ab View Post
    The Judoon tech was uncannily similar to that of the Sontarans, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Graham Williams estate sues.
    I assume there's some sort of politics about that. Maybe the Williams estate wanted a lot of money for his stuff to be used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte of Bli'l'ab View Post
    Space fantasy for people with low-standards (star wars fans) or, 8 year olds, which is probably what its directed at. Thank god I left any expectations at the front-door before entered this trainwreck.
    Well... I liked it. I mean, what would you wanted instead? What would of you changed?
    Last edited by Reabe; 31-03-2007 at 20:20.
    Celestial Lions ProjectGorkamorka Ork Mob Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
    I fell like I know half of you by now. Example: Reabe is nuts, hates the OK and W.A.R..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stupidor View Post
    And Reabe squeezes in his mandatory rant before the postcount breaks double digits! He's getting quicker on the draw; one of these days, someone will make an Ogre Kingdoms thread and, upon posting, find out Reabe somehow replied before they even posted!

  8. #48

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    yeah, i noticed they were wearing new rocks (big stompy spiky leather boots which are quite expensive really- bbc must have placed a big order) and i was a bit like WTF?, but to be honest i still liked it. i just sat back and watched it. good sci-fi with very little thinking involved, which for poor tired me is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crube View Post
    Dat Wildboy - you, Sir, are a legend ... or should that be a leg-end...?

  9. #49
    Chapter Master Acolyte of Bli'l'ab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK dyson sphere
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Good points Reabe. This is why I like to make my replies a little provactive

    'Compared to the Cricketers with handlebars on their head which eventually turned into the Doctor's most dangerous enemies? Or the ever scary pepper pots with plungers? The whole idea is that it's space fantasy done on a fiver. (Compared to, say, Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars) I understand your view point, of course, but, come on, '

    see, to me the point of it is simply telling good stories. The budget comes secondary, but considering the awful special effects for the large budget its pretty lame. They really should of hired american or canadian FX guys because they would of done for not only CHEAPER but made it look BETTER. That is one of my biggest problems.


    'And Cybermen don't?'

    oh, those looked like giant action-figures to me

    'I assume there's some sort of politics about that. Maybe the Williams estate wanted a lot of money for his stuff to be used.'

    Even so, they could of come up with something more innovative dont you think ? felt like a smack in the face to me, especially since iv always been a sontaran fan.


    'Well... I liked it. I mean, what would you wanted instead? What would of you changed?'

    do you mean the episode or the series in general ? if you mean the specific episode then ill give you a brief rundown :

    the judoon : the costumes and heads were unimaginative and could of been done more effectively for cheaper I feel. Look at something like the shadows or vorlons from babylon5, those were cheap but also done on a show thats a decade old. I think they could of come up with something more creative. If they had to keep that kind of look, then they should of played down the rhino-look a bit more, as it reminded me more Rocksteady from teenage mutant ninja turtles too much.

    the plasmovore : rather cringeworthy, especially with the straw...it worked for Red Dwarf but for dr who it was too OTT. She could of had pores on her hands or a secondary mouth come out of her or something.

    If you meant the series in general..well I think they should of gotten rid of things like daleks and cybermen for good and thought up completely new enemies. Time-lord mythology would of been a great thing to go into like the DArk Times as hinted, theres alot of room for expanasion there. I think lovecraftian mythology would of been a great thing to go into since Dr who always seemed like it was "Cosmic horror" anyway, at least in patrick troughtons days. FX-wise like I said I think they should of employed canadians as they tend to have more experience and work for cheaper rates. They got the Doctor right, but I think he needs to be a little toned down. Good writers would of help, the 45 min format is fine and it can work but people like Russel T Davies just cant do it properly, shows like stargate show you can go to a different world/setting every week and keep some substance.


    on a positive note martha was -one- improvement. Better than Rose "I belong in Eastenders" the Chav Tyler. This girl felt more intelligent and genuine.

    and as a side-note, I tend to be more provacative as it tends to get better constructed replies. Apologies for any offence.
    REAL Necron fans listen to Death-Robot Music ;
    http://www.myspace.com/carnivoreadaption

    Latest Cyber Warfare Records release : (10th sep)
    http://www.myspace.com/minotaurburning

  10. #50
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    I liked it. Not the "bestest thing evah!!11!", but enjoyable hokum nonetheless. I actually quite liked Martha, she felt like a departure from Rose (thank god..) and as a whole the series feels as if it has moved on from Ms. Piper.

    Acolyte: I'm worried about you darling . Seriously, if you hate Doctor Who why watch it? Are you into masochism? The whole "I hate new Who" thing gets tired after a while. We don't need your "voice of reason" because everyone in here is grown up enough to make up their own minds, and they will like new Who regardless of what you say (and vice versa).

    EDIT: Does anybody remember when the Doctor says (when asked if he had a family) "No. I had a brother once, but not anymore", or words to that effect? Anyway, without spoiling it for anybody (I can't get the damn spoiler tags to work...) this may become VERY significant later on the series.
    Last edited by John Wayne II; 31-03-2007 at 21:39.

  11. #51
    Chapter Master Reabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Ok, before I get serious in this post, I just want to say this: You act as though a Canadian's only job should be Special Effects like the where Doctor Who is saying that the only job a Judoon can do is a "intergalactic Police for hire" sort of thing. The similarity in your believe and the Doctor Who universe is hilarious to me. No offence meant, but it really is. Anyway, onto Post Proper:

    I'm starting to feel that the problem is that many things like Doctor Who are "professional" now. It seems that a traditional (pre-new series) Doctor Who story would be done because a random guy who writes in many things would get tapped on the shoulder and he would scribble down a story quickly, which would then be sent to actors and the props would get made. No months of planning, everything done in a week, tops, until they ran out of money. But now everything is soulless and in suits. The months of planning makes everything bland. The creativity happened because there was the pressure.

    Or possibly, the stories don't just interlock as they used to. Darleks, Cybermen and the Master were the main villains of the Doctor, with stock monsters fighting him in between main storylines with the main villians, but now it's the stock monsters who are in the limelight.

    Or, more likely, nostalgia has clouded your view.

    Edit: The "Do you have a Brother?" "No, not any more." bit was awesome, and a clever bit of writing.
    Last edited by Reabe; 31-03-2007 at 21:51.
    Celestial Lions ProjectGorkamorka Ork Mob Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
    I fell like I know half of you by now. Example: Reabe is nuts, hates the OK and W.A.R..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stupidor View Post
    And Reabe squeezes in his mandatory rant before the postcount breaks double digits! He's getting quicker on the draw; one of these days, someone will make an Ogre Kingdoms thread and, upon posting, find out Reabe somehow replied before they even posted!

  12. #52
    Chapter Master Charax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,191

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    And, in a less cryptic way, the Doctor's brother is the Master and is appearing later in the series.

  13. #53
    Chapter Master Acolyte of Bli'l'ab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK dyson sphere
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    obviously you missed the part where I said I like to 1) be provocative for debate-sake and 2) not to be taken too seriously. You also seemed to of missed the part where I answered your question : watching crap gives me the drive to be creative myself. I dont see this as a bad thing if it helps me to be artistic myself.

    you might want to actualy read peoples posts before responding in future. It makes you look like a superman fan or something.
    REAL Necron fans listen to Death-Robot Music ;
    http://www.myspace.com/carnivoreadaption

    Latest Cyber Warfare Records release : (10th sep)
    http://www.myspace.com/minotaurburning

  14. #54
    Commander bladestalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    langley, bc, canada
    Posts
    555

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Charax View Post
    And, in a less cryptic way, the Doctor's brother is the Master and is appearing later in the series.
    is that confirmed?
    Andrew J Lucas : Charon Productions

    Freelance Author/Game Designer

    RPG Indie, Ennie, and Origins award Nominee (2002-2003)
    Gaming Genius Awards (2010-2011) Winner of the Best RPG-Oriented Miniatures Game Rules:
    Mighty Armies Fantasy With Rebel Minis.

  15. #55
    Chapter Master Reabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by bladestalker View Post
    is that confirmed?
    No, he's made it up, I'm guessing. I assume he's jumped to that conclusion from the "Not anymore" comment the Doctor said in this episode.

    Edit: Wait, no, there's some seemingly reconned evidence for this. From the Wikipedia page for The Master:

    "^ Fans have occasionally seized upon the two Time Lords' rivalry to speculate that the Master and the Doctor are, in fact, brothers. Such speculation was fueled by the Master's last line in Planet of Fire, which was originally scripted by Peter Grimwade (with permission from script editor Eric Saward) to allude to this as "Doctor, could you do this to your own..." However, this line was excised in post-production, and the Master's last words in the story are somewhat obscured. On the other hand, Lance Parkin's novel The Gallifrey Chronicles implies that the Doctor and the Master had different fathers."

    Huh. That's interesting.
    Last edited by Reabe; 31-03-2007 at 22:03.
    Celestial Lions ProjectGorkamorka Ork Mob Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
    I fell like I know half of you by now. Example: Reabe is nuts, hates the OK and W.A.R..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stupidor View Post
    And Reabe squeezes in his mandatory rant before the postcount breaks double digits! He's getting quicker on the draw; one of these days, someone will make an Ogre Kingdoms thread and, upon posting, find out Reabe somehow replied before they even posted!

  16. #56
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    I agree with you Reabe. Although you have to remember that "cult" status was what originally killed Doctor Who in the first place. So now, to make the show profitable they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I guess creativity sometimes has to suffer, but I think it's too early to judge the entire series.

    And yeah, the Master is back. He's masquerading as Mr. Saxon.

  17. #57
    Chapter Master Acolyte of Bli'l'ab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK dyson sphere
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Reabe View Post
    You act as though a Canadian's only job should be Special Effects like the where Doctor Who is saying that the only job a Judoon can do is a "intergalactic Police for hire" sort of thing. The similarity in your believe and the Doctor Who universe is hilarious to me.
    I know this comment isnt meant to be taken seriously, but alot of sci-fi shows are made and filmed in canada, even amercan ones so it makes sense the most experienced people in that field come from there. Anyone with a clue in the business/art will tell you this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Reabe View Post
    I'm starting to feel that the problem is that many things like Doctor Who are "professional" now. It seems that a traditional (pre-new series) Doctor Who story would be done because a random guy who writes in many things would get tapped on the shoulder and he would scribble down a story quickly, which would then be sent to actors and the props would get made. No months of planning, everything done in a week, tops, until they ran out of money. But now everything is soulless and in suits. The months of planning makes everything bland.

    Or possibly, the stories don't just interlock as they used to. Darleks, Cybermen and the Master were the main villains of the Doctor, with stock monsters fighting him in between main storylines with the main villians, but now it's the stock monsters who are in the limelight.
    the monsters in the limelight ARE the daleks, which have been used more now than they were in the last decade or so of the classic show. Its because they lack the imagination to make GOOD new ones they rely on the old ones like the daleks, its what generates the most money too, which to be honest I never really liked anyway. I always prefered things like the Fendahleen and The Great intelligence myself. But yeah, thats a matter of taste.

    Also, id hardly call Russel T Davies "professional", he's a fanboy with fannish ideas. I mean come on cybermen vs daleks ? thats fanwank kids thought up and look how cringeworthy it was. *sad emo cyber tear*. They should of got non-fans to write/produce it IMO. Anytime you get fans to do things they suck, the best perspective is a fresh but open minded one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reabe View Post
    I'm starting to feel that the problem is that many things like Doctor Who are "professional" now. It seems that a traditional (pre-new series) Doctor Who story would be done because a random guy who writes in many things would get tapped on the shoulder and he would scribble down a story quickly, which would then be sent to actors and the props would get made. No months of planning, everything done in a week, tops, until they ran out of money. But now everything is soulless and in suits. The months of planning makes everything bland.

    Or possibly, the stories don't just interlock as they used to. Darleks, Cybermen and the Master were the main villains of the Doctor, with stock monsters fighting him in between main storylines with the main villians, but now it's the stock monsters who are in the limelight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reabe View Post
    Or, more likely, nostalgia has clouded your view.
    Please dont stereotype dr who fans into "Old" and "new", its never as simple as that. The old had some utter crap too. Like 99% of Tom Baker's era, infact id say TB was worse than the new series, at least david tennant can act.
    Last edited by Acolyte of Bli'l'ab; 31-03-2007 at 22:08.
    REAL Necron fans listen to Death-Robot Music ;
    http://www.myspace.com/carnivoreadaption

    Latest Cyber Warfare Records release : (10th sep)
    http://www.myspace.com/minotaurburning

  18. #58
    Chapter Master Reabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by John Wayne II View Post
    And yeah, the Master is back. He's masquerading as Mr. Saxon.
    Who is trying to be voted into something (Prime Minister?) since there's a handful of those "VOTE SAXON" posters with a box under it with a cross in it and the little radio excerpt we hear about the witness saying "Mr Saxon is right, there are aliens out there-" and so on. It's the Bad Wolf of the third series!
    Last edited by Reabe; 31-03-2007 at 22:11.
    Celestial Lions ProjectGorkamorka Ork Mob Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerok View Post
    I fell like I know half of you by now. Example: Reabe is nuts, hates the OK and W.A.R..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Stupidor View Post
    And Reabe squeezes in his mandatory rant before the postcount breaks double digits! He's getting quicker on the draw; one of these days, someone will make an Ogre Kingdoms thread and, upon posting, find out Reabe somehow replied before they even posted!

  19. #59

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    why does everyone hate Rose so much? she wasn't that bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crube View Post
    Dat Wildboy - you, Sir, are a legend ... or should that be a leg-end...?

  20. #60
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    1,068

    Re: "ZOMG! Doctor Who!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Wildboy View Post
    why does everyone hate Rose so much? she wasn't that bad...
    I didn't hate her, Billie Piper was very good in the role and did what she could, but her character was a little wearisome at times with the whole "cockney chav" thing she had going on.

    Also, does anybody find the music a little annoying? I'm referring to the music used thorought the episode, it felt as if they put it there for the sake of it and it seems to be a common trait of the new series (IMO). This was particularly evident during the Christmas episode, when the music just jarred against the whole setting. Sometimes I would just prefer silence.

Page 3 of 377 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Doctor Who: Series Three"
    By John Wayne II in forum Random Musings
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 28-01-2007, 21:02
  2. Pariah "Psychic Abomination" vs. "Fearless"
    By wolfbyte2586 in forum 40K Tactics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22-01-2007, 20:45
  3. "Doctor Who"
    By John Wayne II in forum Random Musings
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 13-10-2006, 19:25
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-07-2006, 21:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •