Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Renegades Project Log: The Lost & the Dumb

Renegades Project Log: The Lost & the Dumb

*Edit for 2017*
    Okay, so I was pretty pissed about photobucket killing all the image hosting links, so I decided to do something about it. Mainly, I downloaded all the pics from their site, uploaded them to google, and then went back through this thread and fixed each link. There still might be a couple things missing here and there, but this is my community, my forum and my damned Lost & the Damned project log and I'll fight for it. I've got a lot of new stuff in the works I'll be posting in the days to come. For now, enjoy the old stuff and thanks for looking.

*Edit for 2010-2011*

After reading a bunch of Gaunt's Ghosts novels and the three Siege of Vraks books, I've decided to take a fresh start with a new chaos renegades army. You can skim through the first part of this log to see how the old chaos renegades faired, but honestly I wasn't too happy with them.

Now that I've got a couple more years of modeling under my belt, I'm approaching this with a fresh angle. The new plan is a bit more ambitious in that I'll be designing some chaos-specific vehicles like those used by the Blood Pact and Infardi. Jump to page 8 to see the new stuff.

Here is a summary of the first 8 pages of old projects. I ask that you avoid posting comments about the old stuff because it's mega-old, unless you have a modeling-related query, which is of course fine.

Page 1: Renegade Aquilla Lander (never finished- don't ask), Some Lost & the Damned / Vraks Militia Wannabes, cardboard malcador

Page 2: Cardboard Warhound Titan, painted malcador

Page 3: First militia squad painted (waaay over-photoshopped, sorry), chaos space marines, scratch-built predator

Page 4: Heavy weapons teams, Streeeeetch Malcador Gag

Page 5: Khorned-Up Rhino, Homemade Plague Marines, Start of Malcador #2

Page 6: Malcador #2

Page 7: Valdor Tank Hunter, Vindicator-in-a-Day

Page 8: Painted Vindicator, and new 2010 stuff

(end disclaimer)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (resume old post)

I have a few Warhammer 40K project ideas, based mostly around constructing a "chaos renegades" and "lost and the damned" army from scratch. My friend suggested I start a project log here so that I can share some of these ideas and receive constructive feedback along the way. Here we go!

Motivation

I'm fairly new to Warhammer 40K, but I was definitely inspired by the new Forgeworld chaos renegades to construct an army in the same vein. The FW models are out of my price range, but I believe it will be more enjoyable to make my own anyway.

The Renegade Aquilla Lander

I felt that a salvaged Aquilla Lander would make a great center-piece for my traitor force as a transport for the commander and his lackeys.

As it happens, one of my first investments was the Battle for Macragge boxed set-- This set is a great buy because I noticed that the terrain that comes in the set is actually bitz from the Forgeworld Aquilla Lander. After some thought, I decided that the pieces could be used to rebuild the ship, so I grabbed the clippers and went to work.

Cutting the bitz out of the terrain mold was rough and slow-going because the plastic is so thick in places. I eventually switched to a hefty pair of pruning shears which saved a lot of time. Each of the ship's 'feathers' were cut out individually as well.

Once I had all the pieces, it was clear that I only had the top half of the ship to work with! The next step has been to start working off of photographs of the original Lander. I've started adding pieces of plasticard to complete the hull. Here are the pics:

I believe the cockpit interior is the next big obstacle for this project, as I need to make believable controls, as well as an appropriate 'renegade' pilot. Sorry it's not much to look at yet.
    Last edited by Eater of Small Things; 13-09-2017 at 19:19.

Re: Renegades Project Log: The Lost & the Dumb

Good on you mate. Very industrious and looking really good so far. With it being a renegade vehicle actually want a more battered appearance anyway so Im sure it will turn out great.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89741
    IG..again,but take a look!
    [QUOTE=schoolcormorant;1671021]indeed, Calcipher speaky good words.

PLEASE PM ME IF YOU REMEMBER ME..Im back

I've just sold one of these for a fiver, never thought of this! great idea

Chaplain

haha, brilliant idea, i may go and buy the boxset just for that lol , cant wait to see how it turns out. great start

Chapter Master lack0fbettername's Avatar

Orion awsome pics, it looks sweet, cant' wait to see more progress.
    Consider the idea Looted.

Looking great so far EoST!
    I had concidered doing this myself but it looked like too much hard work.
    Best of luck with the project mate, I'll be keeping an eye on this for future inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by warflag View Post
    Creativity from now on officially resides in a doghouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlv8 View Post
    I shall name my second son after you as Im sure I already was naming my 1st after someone else but then again that might have been you aswell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fall View Post
    Quest 2: Attempt to get a quote in Doghouses signature

Edit: Double post.
    Quote Originally Posted by warflag View Post
    Creativity from now on officially resides in a doghouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlv8 View Post
    I shall name my second son after you as Im sure I already was naming my 1st after someone else but then again that might have been you aswell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fall View Post
    Quest 2: Attempt to get a quote in Doghouses signature

I predict a spike in "crashed aquilla scenery" sales, lol.
    THE BLACKER TEMPLAR
    Bigger, Blacker, and Uncut

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    haha, brilliant idea, i may go and buy the boxset just for that lol , cant wait to see how it turns out. great start
    same here
    brilliant idea
    warning i am dyslexic, read at own risk
    yes i am Zork the Goblin, Gnoblar, Snotling and Spider God

Thanks for all the positive responses so far and good luck with your conversions! Maybe someone can figure out a template for this thing now that the idea is out there.

No new progress on the Aquilla Lander yet as I'm still figuring out the cockpit details. I'm tempted to convert the ship to look like it's suffering from daemonic possession, with tentacles and organic parts oozing out, but that may be too over-the-top for the renegade militia theme. I believe simply rebuilding it and giving it some proper chaos markings will be enough.

Renegade Militia Enforcer

I sculpted the Chaos Enforcer's skull-face helmet out of green stuff. It was a fun conversion and I really enjoy working with this material.

More Lost and the Dumb coming soon...
    Last edited by Eater of Small Things; 13-09-2017 at 15:07.

Renegade Space Marines

I look forward to renegade space marines becoming more prevalent in the near future. I think it'll establish a nice middle ground between the polarizing opposites of loyalist marines and ancient chaos marines. Afterall, I'm sure they don't always dress up in spikey bits and tentacles overnight!

With that in mind, I thought it'd be appropriate to show some examples of the renegade marines I started earlier this year. The idea is that this group splintered from their chapter and turned traitor only recently.They are seeking to align themselves with the forces of chaos but are wary of becoming twisted in the Warp. Meanwhile they've teamed up with the renegade militia to build their powerbase.

They're still in need of a few details, the most evident of which being the bolters. I haven't decided on a shoulder decal, though I don't think they really need them at this point since they've just left the chapter.
    Last edited by Eater of Small Things; 13-09-2017 at 15:09.

I like 'em. Like 'em all up. Love the fluff behind it too. I like the way you are capturing the 'feel' of a recently turned chaos army with a neat, but dirty paint scheme. Great stuff.

Thanks Bjorn. Also, if anyone hasn't already noticed, everything here is so far built from the Battle for Macragge set. I'm kicking myself for trading off the tyranids from that box as they would have made great mutants. I might have to pick up some more..

I started building the cockpit interior for the Aquilla Lander today. The pilot will have to be sculpted from scratch due to how cramped the space is. He'll also probably be a servitor since The imperium is infamous for cramming them into tight spaces.

Some updates:

Renegade Militia

The Chaos Enforcer was getting lonely so I started building militia conscripts for him to kick around. Can you guess what GW models I used? The guy on the right has lost his respirator gear and is starting to exhibit signs of mutation. Note the little wiggly tentacle starting to poke its way out of his shoulder pad.

These models will probably play roles in a few different army lists. They're primarily for a Lost and the Damned army, but will also eventually see action as Alpha Legion traitors, Imperial Guard 'abhumans', and Renegades of Vraks.

Renegade Space Marine Predator

Background: The turncoat Space Marines have their work cut out for them. Their sudden, violent defection from the parent chapter did not leave them the opportunity to take much equipment in their exodus. As luck would have it, the factories under the control of the renegade militia had been producing a variant of the Rhino chassis that is capable of being upgraded to Predator tank specs. The bad news is that the chaos-tainted factory workers have begun to slack off and production quality has seriously declined. Each tank that rolls off the assembly line is now seriously flawed and in need of immediate modifications in order to be combat-ready.

Motivation: I wanted to see how difficult it would be to build a Predator tank from scratch using only a minimal amount of bitz. I want to give you the impression that this renegade group is struggling to rig up these broken chasses to give them some kind of edge.

The pic below is a comparison between the unfinished Predator and a store-bought Razorback.

Last edited by Eater of Small Things; 13-09-2017 at 15:12.

Some interesting conversions/scratchbuilds you have in this army, I applaud such ingenuity! Should be a unique army when it's finished.
    Suffolk Wargaming Forum - a forum for wargaming, wargamers, and wargaming clubs in Suffolk.
    The Legion of Taurus: My Chaos Space Marine log over at The Ammobunker - featuring 40k, Forge World, BFG and Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eater of Small Things View Post
    The Chaos Enforcer was getting lonely so I started building militia conscripts for him to kick around. Can you guess what GW models I used?
    I would say an Orlock Juve and an Orlock Ganger with Autopistol/Close Combat Weapon.

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Yep, nailed it. A friend gave me some of his old Necromunda miniatures and I thought they fit the bill for ragtag renegade militia nicely. They're scaled smaller than the current 40k range, which is good because they don't look too bulky once the epoxy and extra bitz are attached.

I've also got my eye on the new Empire flagellants as a soure of pontential conversion material. They may make nice cultists (hmm, Word Bearers?) or mutants due to the tattered robes and bare feet. Anyone think of giving this a try?

@firestorm40k
    Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'll have more to post soon.

Update!

The upcoming release of Apocolypse has me very excited, and the fact that Lost & the Damned armies will be able to get stuck in with all the other chaos troops is enough to have me looking ahead to build some new toys for our large-scale battles.

I've also done up some more renegade militia. Only a hundred or so left to go!

Scratch-Built Malcador

Jeff (lack0fbettername), the scratch-building guru, produced a nice template for the Malcador super-heavy tank that I had been itching to try out for a while. I put the other renegade projects on hold to see how this will shape out. The basic shape was very easy to make, but the detail work is slow-going. With the (hopefully temporary) demise of battlewagon-bits.com, I had to go ahead and make the weapons from scratch as well. So far it's been an interesting project.

As you can see it's still got a way to go before being finished. I worked out how to get the lascannon sponsons to pivot, which slightly heightens the coolness factor. I know it's a bit sloppy so far, but I'm hoping to correct some of that as the work progresses. My next goal is to build the demolisher cannon and the rest of the front. Anyway, hope this gives you guys some ideas and inspiration.

Last edited by Eater of Small Things; 13-09-2017 at 15:14.

Renegade Militia

Last edited by Eater of Small Things; 13-09-2017 at 15:15.

I like the idea of the Lander, very brave.
    And some of those cultists are just horrid, exactly how Chaos should be!
    Where I get all my inspiration from: The Ammobunker, everyone's welcome!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast