Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How to start with AI

How to start with AI

With "what do I need for AI?"-threads popping up every few days, I thought it would be helpful to post some guidelines for beginners at last. For much more help ask in a seperate thread or have a look at the Airspace forum.

First of all, you need of course the rule book. It's quite costly with 35, but it gives you everything you need to play - except for the models. I made a list of "what to buy" for a medium starter force. They are all around 150-170 points, which gives you enough choice for smaller games and a suitable force for medium games; you also don't have to spend more than 50 - which is the same price as a Battleforce.

IMPERIUM
    • 4 Thunderbolts
    • 2 Lightnings
    • 1 Marauder Bomber
    • 1 Marauder Destroyer
    150 points / 58

ELDAR
    • 4 Nightwings
    • 2 Phoenix
    172 points / 36

TAU
    • 6 Barracuda
    • 2 Tigershark
    148 points / 44

ORKS
    • 6 Fightas
    • 4 Fighta Bommers
    148 points / 54

CHAOS
    • 6 Hell Blades
    • 4 Hell Talons
    168 points / 48

Maybe a few comments about that. Listed are only the numbers of models; most of them usually come in packs of 2 (except for the Hell Blade, which comes in packs of 3), and the Marauders are sold in packs of 1. You can also see, that Eldar and Chaos are the most "cost effective" races, where the Imperium is quite expensive. I did not include Space Marines, as I see them in a supporting role for the Imperial Navy, so they should be considered after a few games and a bit of experience, not as a start. Last but not least, all the point costs refer to the "naked" models; you usually have the option for so called additional weapon load, that increases the point costs - so it is easily possible to push each of the forces above over 200 points and more.

I hope this helps people who consider to start AI. For those with a book and maybe even game experience: input is appreciated, I strongly encourage everybody to get envolved.

Greets, Darnok
    < This post has a report Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Re: How to start with AI

/concur with that
    sticky please!

That helps a lot, but I do have a question. Would you mind posting some lists for smaller beginner forces? Perhaps even ones that can be bought from gw's epic range (although the models don't compare at all to fw's) to help out some of us cheapos who had enough trouble buying the book?
    "We are the Ultramarines, warriors of the Emperor, and our bravery is beyond question! It is the stuff of the soul-forge, stronger than adamantium and enduring as the Immortal Emperor Himself. The fires of battle are our places of worship, the roar of bolters our prayers, and the slaughter of our foes an offering to the gods of battle!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    ELDAR
    • 4 Nightwings
    • 2 Phoenix
    172 points / 36
    I make that 176pts.
    Dan
    Age of Strife Owner | AB40k admin/beta tester
    Gaming Figures Store Owner | #warhammer40k on irc.quakenet.org Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh G. Reckshun View Post
    Word on the street is .. if Spacker hasn't said it .. it can't be true. that or .. it's not worth hearing .. one of the two.

If this is going to be a sticky maybe have a brief description of each race's playing style aswell?
    Well I now only have one Project Log, but it's going to be a big one.
    Kris's Plog Have a look, there will be something in it that you like!
    Check out my For Sale Thread, it's stupidly cheap

each race's playing style should be obvious from the stats in the book, and if you don't have the book you really shouldn't have bought your squadron yet, unless you're going by a pre-existing preference.

And if you're doing that, play style is irrelevant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Ardias View Post
    That helps a lot, but I do have a question. Would you mind posting some lists for smaller beginner forces? Perhaps even ones that can be bought from gw's epic range (although the models don't compare at all to fw's) to help out some of us cheapos who had enough trouble buying the book?
    I think about that and will post something on that topic tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacker View Post
    I make that 176pts.
    With a Nightwing for 28 and a Phoenix for 30 points it still adds up to 172. But any help and corrections is appreciated.

Having it set out like that is making me a lot more tempted to get into IA theres a couple of players round these parts but I got it into my head that it was really expensive for some reason.
    Cheers Darnok.

Now I just need to pick a force and pull some cash together.
    Nemo me impune lacessit
    Wha daur meddle wi' me?

I think about that and will post something on that topic tomorrow.

With a Nightwing for 28 and a Phoenix for 30 points it still adds up to 172. But any help and corrections is appreciated.
    Ah crap, I misread it and was doing 4 Phoenix and 2 Nightwings (which happens to be the fighter loadout for my own Eldar force, along with 2 Vampires).
    Dan
    Age of Strife Owner | AB40k admin/beta tester
    Gaming Figures Store Owner | #warhammer40k on irc.quakenet.org Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh G. Reckshun View Post
    Word on the street is .. if Spacker hasn't said it .. it can't be true. that or .. it's not worth hearing .. one of the two.

Although not nearly as cool as the forgeworld models, I've been having some good success scratch building various fighters for the couple races I'm interested in. If you're having trouble choosing a force (or just want to have some nice new models to play with when your book arrives), some stand ins or rough scratch builds can be quick and effective as a learning force. It can also save you a couple hundred dollars before you realize that you don't really like the squadron you just got.
    "We are the Ultramarines, warriors of the Emperor, and our bravery is beyond question! It is the stuff of the soul-forge, stronger than adamantium and enduring as the Immortal Emperor Himself. The fires of battle are our places of worship, the roar of bolters our prayers, and the slaughter of our foes an offering to the gods of battle!"

Aye thats a fair point.
    I recon I'll just get myself the rulebook for now and borrow some other peoples stuff/use proxies. I mean even just from looking at the rules it would be possible to get a basic feel of how each force works.
    Nemo me impune lacessit
    Wha daur meddle wi' me?

ORKS
    • 6 Fightas
    • 4 Fighta Bommers
    148 points / 54
    Would you recommend including the new Ork Bommas in your starting army list? And if so, what would you remove to include them?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavfluris View Post
    Would you recommend including the new Ork Bommas in your starting army list? And if so, what would you remove to include them?

Cheers.
    That is a very good question, and to be honest: I don't really know.

The stats of the new bombers are not even known by now, and from what we know they might have a lot of options. "A lot of" like in "too much for a beginner". Given that I would say: take the Ork starter force as it is now, get some experience with it, and include one or more of the new bombers that fit your style later.

However, I do think the new bmbers are a must for every true Air Ork, as they give you much more variety and the transport option (at last). So you want some of them - at a later point.

I agree regarding the new Bommers.
    Until the book comes out with their rules in it's a bit of a "blind shooting alley" as to what will be an option and what the rules will be.
    The "temporary" rules issued by FW are total pants and not worth taking IMO.
    We had better and more "Orky" rules sets made up in here by the fans!
    I only hope to Mork that the final rules are more representative of an Orky Bommer with loads of Dakka than those poor efforts so far!

I am also going to build some "scratch" built Bommers, but I've put the whole thing on hold after the issue of the temporary rules! I wany my efforts to look the part and to be carrying the weapons options available where possible, and that means nothing happens till the official rules are avialable.

As a beginner, I'd say leave the Bommers until they come out officially rules-wise, that'll give you time to appreciate how good the basic Orks are!

HG
    Harkon Greywolf
    Too old to be playing with toy soldiers! And yet I still am! Yay!
    CAMFORAI because RAW is Wrong!

"Semper in excretio, solum profundum variat!"

Thanks Darnok and HarkonGreywolf.

Quote Originally Posted by HarkonGreywolf View Post
    As a beginner, I'd say leave the Bommers until they come out officially rules-wise, that'll give you time to appreciate how good the basic Orks are!
    Well, that's my birthday sorted then.

I hate to be pedantic, but in your OP you say that you don't need to spend more than 50, but that ork squadron costs 54?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Zephy View Post
    I hate to be pedantic, but in your OP you say that you don't need to spend more than 50, but that ork squadron costs 54?
    Correct. You don't NEED to pay more than 50 (see Chaos Tau & Eldar) but if you want to you CAN pay more (Orcs & Imperial).

Morsleib

Also, you could just get 8 fighter-bombers instead, which is less $$$, possibility for more points, and some suggest that it would be more effective in game terms as well

True, and the bundle for the Imerium is 58, but to be honest I did care more about "a suitable force for medium games" than the price. I observed the fact that they are all roughly around 50 later (with the Imperium stretching that frame by quite a good portion...), but the price wasn't my main concern. Still a valid point though.

For the Imperial list, you can easily knock of the Marauder Bomber and increase the AWL of the fighters and/or destroyer.

I dont really think you need two bombers (I havent in my experience), and that brings the price back under 50

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast