Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How to start with AI

Re: How to start with AI

Thangyouverymuch Mr Leunam, Sir....

"Hello, is that Forgeworld...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Leunam View Post
    This is how I started out, and if I remember right, they will be the exact same points with additional weapon loads. I think the Tau and Imperials are very evenly matched.
    Cool thanks! That's my start sorted out. I'm a bit worried about choosing a colour scheme, I've never been good at decisions

I always thought it would be cool to incorporate a game of epic and AI, allowing interaction between the two in terms of bombing runs and ground defences being able to shoot at either. It would add another dimension.
    Cal

I must admit, i'm liking AI the more I read about it.

i can feel a project log coming on - but folloing every aspect of starting AI, form getting the rules, devising a couple of fleets, getting the models, then prepping, and painting, then hopefull playing a couple of games...

Aye, I know I'll be recording my process (if only for the sole purpose to keep me motivated), however, I don't think I'll put it all in a log. Maybe some pictures and games but that's about it I think...
    Cal

A couple of further questions...

How long does a game of AI last? Say at 150-200 points

and

Have there been any / are there any plans for any AI tournaments?

The Tournaments you where asking about - yes there has been at least one!
    http://z8.invisionfree.com/Airspace/...?showtopic=347

I sadly have not played in so long I could not tell you how long a game is.

Chapter Master mistformsquirrel's Avatar

Hmm... at that price, plus the fact that I'd probably get 4 Thunderbolts for Epic anyway...

Yah, I think I'm going to be doing this at some point. Can't say when for sure.

Hmm...

A question though, with no rulebook to look from, for a slightly modified Imperium starting force, how does this look:

6 Thunderbolts, 1 Marauder Bomber, with upgraded weaponry all around?

Only reason I ask is that Lightnings weren't available pre-Heresy, and the Naval force I'm thinking of making would be a pre-Heresy deviation from the Imperium. (Again, no rulebook, so I have no idea if thats feasible.)
    I'm going to take a break from Warseer for a bit to deal with my bipolar, which is acting up ferociously lately. Please accept my apologies for any insult or offense I may have caused - though I feel my sentiment was correct, I have been overly aggressive and hostile of late; and I am sorry for that.

Hopefully I will return in better mental working order. Good luck all!

For pre-heresy standards, I'm sure that's fine.

However, for anything else, I say 4 Thunderbolts, 2 Lightnings, and a Marauder Destroyer would work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Crube View Post
    How long does a game of AI last? Say at 150-200 points?
    Can be very quick, or very long, depending on how experienced the players are and how lucky they are. Ive seen games end after 3 turns, and games end after the full 12 (although that doesnt matter much). AI can be very brutal, very quickly, if one player is much luckier (and/or more skilled) than the other.

But for that Points size, Id prob estimate ~2hours including setup etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crube View Post
    Have there been any / are there any plans for any AI tournaments?
    Just the Outpost one linked to earlier. We will probably be having another in a few months time, but its on the opposite side of the world to most people!

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel View Post
    6 Thunderbolts, 1 Marauder Bomber, with upgraded weaponry all around?
    Looks good, no problems. Id prob look at 2 Marauders or 1 Marauder Destroyer for the bombing, but Tbolts are veeeery versatile craft so you should be right with 6 of them!

Chapter Master mistformsquirrel's Avatar

Cool, I like the Thunderbolts look a lot better than the Lightning in addition to it suiting my force's fluff better >_< I'll have to get the rulebook sometime soonish. I'm not sure how soon I'll actually get to jump into this; but I'm eyeing this and Epic both now that my 40k and Fantasy armies are nearing completion. Then it'll be on to another 40k and another fantasy army <,< but I expect that to be at least a year from now.
    I'm going to take a break from Warseer for a bit to deal with my bipolar, which is acting up ferociously lately. Please accept my apologies for any insult or offense I may have caused - though I feel my sentiment was correct, I have been overly aggressive and hostile of late; and I am sorry for that.

Hopefully I will return in better mental working order. Good luck all!

would a pack of thunderbolts and a pack of hellblades be enough to teach people how to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Skyshadow View Post
    would a pack of thunderbolts and a pack of hellblades be enough to teach people how to play?
    If you just want to learn the game mechanics: it will work. But if you want to have fun you need some more models. Two/three models per side is just not enough.

yeah i agree, but 2 models per sides enough to teach the game correct?

Yes. However, two Tbolts vs 3 Hellblades isnt particularly even in points. Also, the chaos are a bit too 'advanced' for a new player. Tau vs Imp (2 planes each) would be the most even, or 2 Tbolts vs 3 Ork Fightas (but that involves purchasing 3 packs).

But I stress that Chaos dont make a good intro-game force!

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    I did not include Space Marines, as I see them in a supporting role for the Imperial Navy, so they should be considered after a few games and a bit of experience, not as a start.
    I cannot say I agree with this view. Often Space Marine Chapters operate independently of both the Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard.

I would be interested in seeing a Space Marine Chapter only list. That would be a list with no Imperial Navy (flyers) or Imperial Guard (flyers/ground) - i.e. no thunderbolts, lightnings, valkyries, hydras, manticores, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Notasquick View Post
    I cannot say I agree with this view. Often Space Marine Chapters operate independently of both the Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard.

I would be interested in seeing a Space Marine Chapter only list. That would be a list with no Imperial Navy (flyers) or Imperial Guard (flyers/ground) - i.e. no thunderbolts, lightnings, valkyries, hydras, manticores, etc.
    Interesting point raised, but a bit OT for this thread. I'd like to discuss the topic here.

So the lighting fighters mentioned in the starter imperial list, are they "Strike" or "attack" ?
    Last edited by shakespear; 13-10-2007 at 02:58.

The autocannon versions.

Well, for those of us purchasing a rulebook and minis at the same time, which is that?

the ones without the missiles!

AERONAUTICA IMPERIALIS LIGHTNING ATTACK FIGHTERS
    (Product Code AW-INE-F-003)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast