PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Sisters of Battle, pipe dream?

studderigdave
26-08-2007, 01:46
im finished with all my armies, 3 40k and 2 fantasy, but i always wanted to start witch hunters but the fact that i wanted a majority if it to be SOB stopped me, due to all the metal. timeframe aside, does anyone think that GW will ever release plastic SOB's?

Xenocidal Maniac
26-08-2007, 02:14
I doubt it. But your guess is as good as anyone's!

the_almighty_moo
26-08-2007, 02:46
metal sisters are the only reason why i never collected an army of them. and most of them, as well as the chaos dred are from 2nd edition too.

a man can dream

Bookwrak
26-08-2007, 03:14
I wish SoBs would get a plastic release, but at this point in time, how much would it cost to start up a new plastic production line, and how long would it take GW to make good on that expense?

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 03:18
Yeah I don't see GW making plastic SoB's any time soon. But I think Metal is good because it add fine detals to the SoB's that plastic armies just don't have.

Lord_Squinty
26-08-2007, 04:08
Don't see it happening soon - but the ones they have are very COOl mini's *IMHO*

Joewrightgm
26-08-2007, 04:30
eh, I like the idea of plastic Sisters, but I think if any inquisition troops would get plastics, it would be Storm Troopers, simply because they're used in both Inquisition armies and cross-over with Imperial Guard.

Killshot
26-08-2007, 05:37
I hope they don't release plastic SoB! I don't see how they would do them and they look as good as the current models.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 05:51
I hope they don't release plastic SoB! I don't see how they would do them and they look as good as the current models.

Yeah and when they start making plastic I'm going to stock up on metal SoBs so if I ever need more I won't need to use plastics. I like plastics for troops but what drew me to the SoBs where their unique look and they would lose that if they were plastic like everyone else.

Spetulhu
26-08-2007, 07:31
New GW plastics do look much better than they did 15 years ago, but the SoB details might still be a bit hard to capture.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 07:33
New GW plastics do look much better than they did 15 years ago, but the SoB details might still be a bit hard to capture.

Even though they are better the plastics wouldn't even compare to the current metal SoBs

The_Patriot
26-08-2007, 08:18
Best option for keeping the details of the minis is to use resin.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 08:29
Best option for keeping the details of the minis is to use resin.

Yeah but resin costs about the same if not more and you would have to buy them from Forgeworld so, the US players would be screwed on international shipping.

The_Patriot
26-08-2007, 08:55
Yeah but resin costs about the same if not more and you would have to buy them from Forgeworld so, the US players would be screwed on international shipping.

Resin is actually about the same price as plastic in raw materials, but it takes longer for the mini to be ready since resin has to cure. GW could retool the pewter line as a resin line.

The only reason why FW charges an arm and a leg for their minis is because they're like a speed shop for cars. It's geared towards those that have the most cash available to buy minis from. They charge what they think people with money will pay for it and people with money buy the minis at the prices asked. Also a good portion of the cost is the amount of time spent sculpting the mini since they're more detailed then either the metal or pewter versions.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 09:13
Resin is actually about the same price as plastic in raw materials, but it takes longer for the mini to be ready since resin has to cure. GW could retool the pewter line as a resin line.

The only reason why FW charges an arm and a leg for their minis is because they're like a speed shop for cars. It's geared towards those that have the most cash available to buy minis from. They charge what they think people with money will pay for it and people with money buy the minis at the prices asked. Also a good portion of the cost is the amount of time spent sculpting the mini since they're more detailed then either the metal or pewter versions.

If GW did it, it would be ok but, if Forgeworld did it the US would be royally screwed.

The_Patriot
26-08-2007, 09:24
If GW did it, it would be ok but, if Forgeworld did it the US would be royally screwed.

Yeah it would need to be Citadel that made the minis which it could use a process similar to injection molding they do for plastics. The major difference would be the resin being liquid that's cooler then both metal and plastic and the cure times. Metal cools and removed from the mold in about 6 hours. Plastic cools and removed from the mold in about 2 hours. Resin takes at least 18 hours to cure fully.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 09:26
Yeah it would need to be Citadel that made the minis which it could use a process similar to injection molding they do for plastics. The major difference would be the resin being liquid that's cooler then both metal and plastic and the cure times. Metal cools and removed from the mold in about 6 hours. Plastic cools and removed from the mold in about 2 hours. Resin takes at least 18 hours to cure fully.

Ok then I'd be fine with it. Because honestly I really wouldn't want to pay more in shipping then what I am paying for the models themselves.

leonmallett
26-08-2007, 09:29
Plastic Sisters?

Well assuming that there are 3-4 new plastic frames with each codex/release, and a combined Inquisition codex, and the fact that the SoB vehicle upgrade already exists, I'd say it is possible. Maybe an Inquisitor Lord plastic kit, a Storm Troopers plastic frame (if Codex IG hasn't already been done with one of these), which leaves the Inquisition retinues (better served in metal), Deathwatch and SoB. In those terms I could see Sisters in plastic.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 09:31
Plastic Sisters?

Well assuming that there are 3-4 new plastic frames with each codex/release, and a combined Inquisition codex, and the fact that the SoB vehicle upgrade already exists, I'd say it is possible. Maybe an Inquisitor Lord plastic kit, a Storm Troopers plastic frame (if Codex IG hasn't already been done with one of these), which leaves the Inquisition retinues (better served in metal), Deathwatch and SoB. In those terms I could see Sisters in plastic.

If they made a plastic Inquisitor Sprue I would cry a little. Well actually, not really because I already have a metal Inquisitor:D.

pootleberry
26-08-2007, 10:14
Plastic Sisters would be superb. Unfortunately I think there are many people who are waiting in the potentially vain hope of plastic models coming out. This leads to poor sales, which in turn may well lead GW to thinking that they would not sell that well. If this is the case then that's a shame as I think plastic Sisters would fly off the shelves!

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 10:30
Plastic Sisters would be superb. Unfortunately I think there are many people who are waiting in the potentially vain hope of plastic models coming out. This leads to poor sales, which in turn may well lead GW to thinking that they would not sell that well. If this is the case then that's a shame as I think plastic Sisters would fly off the shelves!

Well I'd hate to repeat myself but If i was forced into using plastic sisters I might just move on to a better performing army because with out the character given to them by pewter models they are just below average marine clones.

Binky
26-08-2007, 11:07
Ok then I'd be fine with it. Because honestly I really wouldn't want to pay more in shipping then what I am paying for the models themselves.

Never quite understood why there's so much complaining about FW shipping prices to the US, looking at the site the shipping is 15% of the order value, even in the UK we have to pay 12% shipping, in comparison the international shipping charge seems like a pretty good deal!

Angelwing
26-08-2007, 14:19
Plastic sisters would be good for conversions. The standard metal troopers are difficult to do much with (for me, no doubt there are people with far more talent who make it look easy!)

warchild9
27-08-2007, 18:41
Jes Goodwin did such a great job sculpting the metal originals and when the mk2 rhino to an immolator came out form FW the gunner was a resin original immolator gunner. Now when WH came out the gave us a new plastic rhino/ immolator spure and look at the garbage of a gunner we got. No detail, god awful ugly....but at least the gave us helmeted head. I think they could but find SOB minis is hard enough out here in AZ since most people (independent retail) won't care them because them are not big sellers. And as good example of the coolness of sisters in pewter look at the gunner for the Exorcist and then look at the immolator gunner

CherryMan
27-08-2007, 19:53
IF ever gw was to release them as a full plastic army, they would have to do both Gray knights, and kill team in it to:).... i would love for it to happen thou, as i have a gk daemon hunter army myself:)

Belisarius
27-08-2007, 20:32
I think it would be a good thing but sadly i don't think it's going to happen.

logosloki
28-08-2007, 01:44
baby steps first.
step one plastic inquisitors
step two plastic henchmen
step three codex:inquisition
step four plastic grey knights and sisters of battle

It would be nice to have plastic models especially with the development of the new computer tech to make the plastic spruces but I don't think the sisters are ready to break out in plastic yet.

Hellfury
28-08-2007, 04:50
From what I recall before the Hereticus codex was released, there was a large amount of discussion about doing plastic sisters.

It was the consensus that if they were to do them in plastic, and they looked worse than the metals, to not even bother.

I still feel this way, but plastic tech for GW has come along way recently...so you never know.

fracas
28-08-2007, 07:44
probable: new metal sisters as celestians. not enough players to make plastic sisters and perhaps even intentionally keeping them as a niche army (like grey knights).

possible: current metal sisters are repositioned as celestians and new plastic (less detailed) sisters as troopers.

the1stpip
28-08-2007, 12:54
I'm sure I've said it before, but I would buy them to convert into Noise Marines.

Slaaneshi Slave
28-08-2007, 13:06
Well I'd hate to repeat myself but If i was forced into using plastic sisters I might just move on to a better performing army because with out the character given to them by pewter models they are just below average marine clones.

Except they play nothing like Marines. :rolleyes:

Frep
28-08-2007, 13:19
@Logosloki don't you have your baby steps in the wrong order wouldn't the rank and file units SoB be of higher importance than the inquisitors retinue I mean no matter how fanatical of =I= player you are you'll have no more than 2-4 inquisitors (I went as high as four for those who like multiple models for multiple lists) but you will have to have numerous normal SoB units right?

All i know is plastic SoB would be great so that noone play with "Brothers of Battle" ever again (You know those people too cheap to buy sister so they use marine models that look like they got hit with a shotgun full of purity seals)

Slaaneshi Slave
28-08-2007, 13:28
If you're a fanatic for Inquisitors you may take 5 in a single FoC.

Frep
28-08-2007, 13:35
Really i thought it was 2 for HQ and only one Elite, either way it would be one cool looking army.

Arcanus
28-08-2007, 15:07
Really i thought it was 2 for HQ and only one Elite, either way it would be one cool looking army.

Me too. If Plastic Sisters of Battle ever came out I would feel like GW has failed us because no matter how good the plastics look they won't look the same as the pewters. So I say don't change it. It's been doing fine anyway.

Solinan
29-08-2007, 12:41
Plastic Sisters is a good idea, Grey Knights too.
The fact that they are metal is one of the only reasons I dont play them (the other is lack of money)

I dont overly love or hate the metal minis, I think they are very cool, but cant stand the fact that they all have so simular heads. But I love the helmeted heads.
Nor do I like the fact that I cant convert as easiely. The line is very limited in that way IMO.

*Crosses fingers for plastic Inquisitional minis*

:)

leonmallett
Me too. If Plastic Sisters of Battle ever came out I would feel like GW has failed us because no matter how good the plastics look they won't look the same as the pewters. So I say don't change it. It's been doing fine anyway.

Remember once upon a time that metal Marines looked ropey if not outright terrible. Now they are the standard. The sculpting technology has moved on tremendously.

An inquisition codex will have plastic releases. What they will be will dependent on what is released beforehand (for example if a new IG codex were released, would it include plastic Stormtroopers). Plastics are evidently the way forward for GW as far as is possible. This is evidenced by the standard of having 3-4 frames with each new book. For example Jes goodwin stated that he would have liked Tyranid Gargoyles to have been done in plastic, but he was limited to how many frames that were sanctioned. I was very surprised we didn't see a plastic Autarch kit, but look at the amount of generic character models (especially WH) in plastic recently. If Inquistion re-appears as an updated codex as expected, I would also expect plastic sprues for at least the core options - the troops, and maybe even GK plastic Terminators.

Kriegsherr
Well, frankly I don't care... I already have lots and lots of metal Sisters, and I really think their minis are still not showing their age.

They are looking clearly better than a lot of newer plastics, and have enough different poses that I don't care about that.

Agreed that plastic sisters would make them so much more attractive to the mainstream customers... there are a lot of metal haters (I don't mean the music mind you ;) ) out there these days, and while I don't count myself to them, I can see a lot of good points in plastics, especially as long as the old metals are still available for nostalgic freaks and in case GW fails to deliver the amount of detail I want to have on my sister minis.

sprugly
apparently i'm the only one who thinks that most of the metal range is dull and lifeless (with a few exeptions) The plastics that are being released today are pretty much as detailed as the pewter ones can get and with all the extra modeling advantages plastic gives you it has way more scope to be converted so you can make a much more personalised force. I to have only not started a sisters army because i don't want to fork out my life savings on tin soldiers. Plastic is the way of the future, and we all know where 40k is set!

sprugly

Arcanus
Remember once upon a time that metal Marines looked ropey if not outright terrible. Now they are the standard. The sculpting technology has moved on tremendously.

An inquisition codex will have plastic releases. What they will be will dependent on what is released beforehand (for example if a new IG codex were released, would it include plastic Stormtroopers). Plastics are evidently the way forward for GW as far as is possible. This is evidenced by the standard of having 3-4 frames with each new book. For example Jes goodwin stated that he would have liked Tyranid Gargoyles to have been done in plastic, but he was limited to how many frames that were sanctioned. I was very surprised we didn't see a plastic Autarch kit, but look at the amount of generic character models (especially WH) in plastic recently. If Inquistion re-appears as an updated codex as expected, I would also expect plastic sprues for at least the core options - the troops, and maybe even GK plastic Terminators.

Well I'd rather see some new pewters or resin then plastic models because I think plastics have no character compared to a good pewter or resin model. My only problem with resin is that it's very expensive due to international shipping and the outrageous FW prices. To be honest if GW made plastic SoB's i'd might buy a squad and convert them into kneeling and other positions to mix in to my current SoB army but that's it.

Thorny
Maybe an upgrade sprue for regular terminators for gk termis.

Captain Micha
31-08-2007, 13:44
It'll never happen.

Gw couldn't bring themselves to do it. They would much rather continue ripping you guys off, while at the same time continue ripping us off (the necron players) for our Elites, and Wraith.....

yukisaiko
31-08-2007, 15:22
I got to thinking about this while reading this thread. A metal box of 10 Sisters costs $40.00. A plastic box of 10 Marines costs $35.00. So you're saving $5.00. Ooooh. Okay, so you need to buy the heavy and typically replace the SB with a melta, but I really don't see the big savings. Plus I have to wonder how they would fit together and not look odd. Especially with the drape parts around the arms.

I must hate myself, as I'm starting an Apoc Sisters army from scratch, but I've had enough misc. junk around my house to eBay and trade in that it didn't hurt as bad. So I'll just stick to the metal ones myself.

Kriegsherr
31-08-2007, 15:50
Well, the normal Sisters are not that bad at 4.50$ a pop... the special weapons also are only slightly overpriced with 6.50$

Things start to get bad as soon as you want hv. Flamers in your squad, hv. weapons in the celestia squads or retributor squads... 10.50$ or something like that is way overpriced even for a heavy weapon...

Then again, GW was so nice giving you the chance to get a second special weapon if you don't have the bucks for the heavy artillery in your squads, and exorcist usually are better anyway than retributors...

Not that I wouldn't have bought way too much of all 3 different hv. weapons just because they look "Kick-as*" ;)

In the end, its not like new plastics would be that much cheaper. And certainly they wouldn't have more details, and will still have the same look most probably...
the only thing that would really change would be the multi-posability and the additional details for customization, and while I'm always hot for more gothic looking bits and customization, I have to admit that I lose the patience with multi-pose plastic minis really fast as they take just so much more time too asemble... really cool for small, elite SM Squads, a real pain with large Conscript platoons...

So while I certainly would buy new plastic sisters, I won't stop buying metal ones...

Captain Micha
31-08-2007, 16:14
Ten us dollars a mini... *in the case of the Necrons* for the elites....

wraith are... whoa... they seriously dropped the cost of wraith..... only 17 us dollars a mini now...

warriors... 12 for 35 though... nuff said

sob where you'd start saving would be the special weapons and heavy weapons

Pavic
02-09-2007, 00:18
I am a long time player of WHFB and have recently decided that I am going to give 40K a try. I was immediately attracted to the Witch Hunters. However, after review of the models, I am not sure that I would be willing to invest in the army. The metal sisters are very nice, but I like to have a lot of variety in my models, so plastic is definetly something that I like to have for troop options. However, this was not the primary issue that I had with the army. It appears that a melta gun armed sister is no longer available. This is a major problem, as I will either have to obtain the older models second hand or convert current metal models. There is also the issue that stormbolter and flamer armed sisters only appear to be available in the main box set or through GW direct. If anyone can correct this view regarding the availability of these models, I would certainly be happy. However, based on my current view, I can't really see that I would want to start an army that did not have readily available special weapon models available. I think that it would be perfectly reasonable for the current metal sisters to be given the new designation of celestians (assuming that the melta gun sister was made available again) and a new set of plastic sisters made for the standard troops. I would really like to see a sisters plastic kit, or at least the release of the special weapon models seperately, as I was recently fortunate enough to pick up a Ephrael Stern model, and I was hoping to make it one of the center pieces of the army.

warchild9
02-09-2007, 02:36
It appears that a melta gun armed sister is no longer available. There is also the issue that stormbolter and flamer armed sisters only appear to be available in the main box set or through GW direct. .

The melta gunner is still available through GW direct I was able to order two yesterday, the only thing is you have to bitz the order and order backpacks also .

here is the Uk link
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060108057&orignav=10

and here is the us link
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010805704&orignav=9

backpack link
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010800401&orignav=9

good luck

Pavic
02-09-2007, 03:10
Hoho,

Well, looks like I might be starting this army after all. Thanks for the help. GW really needs to get everything onto the pages so that people like myself don't think that something is available. A plastic kit would be nice though...

Vici
25-09-2007, 04:45
metal vs. plastic, is decided on economics rather than any other factor.

Injection moulding facilities are expensive to set up, so they need to sell the models in high volume to make it cost effective. Therefore, popular models will be made of plastic. They are also light and cheap to ship so they only need to manufacture them in one place.

Casting pewter is more cost effective for smaller volumes, so it is the process used for less popular models. Shipping pewter is also costly, so they manufacture them in both the US and the UK.

Personally I prefer the metal models because they aren't to easy to bowl over with errant dice :)

Vici

kazkal
25-09-2007, 06:17
Plastic GreyKnights and Sisters would be a dream,I won't start a army anymore inless I can get good portion in plastics...Just hate working with metal.

Lord_Magellan
25-09-2007, 06:24
For that matter, how about a plastic inquisitor kit like the space marine commander kit? Something to trick out your own individual inquisitor from the ground up and make for a unique offering every time. I'd love to see that if not plastic sisters.

Shadowheart
25-09-2007, 07:35
If it becomes a technical possibility to do good looking plastic Sisters, I suppose the question would be whether GW really want to commit to making them a fully fledged 40K army in terms of support. So far Sisters have been a niche/ally affair, which they could cut support for without too much backlash. But since plastics need to sell in large(r) amounts, they'd have to become a bit more high profile.

I don't know, ten years ago plastic character kits were pretty much inconceivable. I've seen GW produce more and more stuff in plastic, and I don't see why that couldn't extend to Sisters one day. Question of priorities I expect, and Sisters are probably far down the list.

RavenMorpheus
25-09-2007, 22:38
im finished with all my armies, 3 40k and 2 fantasy, but i always wanted to start witch hunters but the fact that i wanted a majority if it to be SOB stopped me, due to all the metal. timeframe aside, does anyone think that GW will ever release plastic SOB's?

If they redo the codex they may do but it's a looooooooong way off. And it also depends on whether GW feel they can make more money out of plastic SoB rather than just "re-releasing" the metal stuff.

Having said that the DoW expansion Soul Storm is rumoured to be including SoB along with DE so there may be hope yet - tie in with game and all that.

Reinholt
25-09-2007, 23:14
I think the problem of plastic sisters actually is tied in with many concerns:

1 - If you do plastic sisters, you probably need a new Witch Hunter codex.

2 - If you do this, the one consistent rumor I have heard on the Inquisition is that they would be rolled into one codex.

3 - If you do this, you need grey knights, ordo xenos, etc.

4 - Also, given that the original models were quite detailed, the new plastics will need to be on par with the best plastic stuff currently (Dark angels?) rather than some of the old miscues (Catachans).

That's a lot of work. This is probably going to be a case where you are going to have to wait a while for an uber-release, much like Orks, sadly.

Godgolden
25-09-2007, 23:48
You cannot compare DA clothed mdoels to SOB models.. DA models are so undetailed and crap compared.

carlisimo
26-09-2007, 01:27
Vici and Shadowheart have it right. The economics of it depend on volume, and right now the possibility of high volume is hampered by the current mindset towards Sisters.

Everyone thinks of them as a niche army. The rules make them work that way, the miniature range reflects it, and the fluff sort of does too. To get the volume necessary to justify plastics, Witchhunters would have to be a full-fledged army and that's a lot of work. It's already difficult for GW to keep its current armies up to date... and now they're being forced to contract instead of grow. It's not a good time for a new army.

ctsteel
26-09-2007, 10:37
For that matter, how about a plastic inquisitor kit like the space marine commander kit? Something to trick out your own individual inquisitor from the ground up and make for a unique offering every time. I'd love to see that if not plastic sisters.

taken from Rick Priestley's recent announcement on GW bitz catalogue changes (they are removing a bunch of old stuff to make way for new stuff):

There is also a new range of converters’ components in preparation, featuring all manner of useful and inspiring bits and pieces such as individual weapons and equipment, including such things as comms gear and ammo-packs for Warhammer 40,000

SON OF LION
26-09-2007, 10:45
Plastic sisters are a very long way off if they will ever be.

The start up costs of the plastic moulds would never be able to turn a profit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to see it.

Slaaneshi Slave
26-09-2007, 11:26
Plastic SoB would sell a lot better than plastic Empire Wizards or plastic Marine commanders, so I don't see the problem with the idea. :rolleyes:

25ofme
28-09-2007, 01:09
Soooo...I was wondering about the plastics and decided to just email GW. Here is what they said:

"Hello,

There are no plans, that we are aware of, to make plastic Sisters of Battle.

Thank you,

(Please do not delete previous emails so we can refer back to them)

John Spencer

Hobby Specialist

Games Workshop Direct Services

6711 Baymeadow Drive

Glen Burnie, MD 21060-6401

Thought for the day: Faith without deeds is worthless.

Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:42 PM
To: US Customer Service
Subject: Sisters of Battle

Hello,

I was interested in starting a Sisters of Battle army soon. I was wondering, will you be releasing any plastic Sister models within the next year?
Any information will be very helpful ^^

thank you"

So, thats a yes if your optimistic. And a not likely if your realistic.