PDA

View Full Version : Best FW IG Vehicles?

Hulkster
28-08-2007, 12:38
I am thinking about getting an IG vehicle from FW because of the release of Apocolypse.

I was just wondering which vehicles people liked best. Either because of the way they look or the rules or a combination of the two.

so, opinions?

the1stpip
28-08-2007, 12:41
Are you talking tanks, cos I would go with a vulture otherwise...

Hulkster
28-08-2007, 12:43
no anything

why would you say the vulture?

oh I am also interested in peoples opinions on making the model they choose. did they have any problems etc.

revford
28-08-2007, 15:37
I really like the Trojan and the Salamander, there are plenty of front line combat vehicles in the GW plastics range, but it's really nice to see some support vehicles.

Not a fan of the Atlas however, it just doesn't look as cool.

Axel
28-08-2007, 15:44
The Baneblade, though I assume that sales will drop a bit with the plastic kit available for 60 instead of 140. I also like the looks of the Thunderer, though the rules are, well, fluffy. The Armageddon pattern Basilisk also looks pretty good.

FunkyCommissar
28-08-2007, 15:49
Personally I like (note, I dont own all these! so some might look better/worse in actuality):
Vanquisher
Conqueror
Destroyer
Salamander (AC version)
Exterminator
Griffon

All these look cool and their rules actually make them feasible in games where you want to win ;)
Some of the FW stuff, like the Trojan, is simply fluff in model form.

Ethan Hunt
28-08-2007, 15:51
Any tank would do the job. If ya want personality, a Destroyer tank hunter is cool. But if you want "real" personality on your army, get a Malcador with Battlecannon or a normal one. I like that "moving bunker" look of it. ;)

Aurellis
28-08-2007, 15:53
Stormblades look amazing :)
If I were you I'd get one of them

Hulkster
28-08-2007, 15:58
have any of you used any of the tanks etc mentioned?

I am only asking because I dont want to buy a lemon (like my car :( )

Is a stormblade Anti Heavy Inf, Anti Titan or Anti Tank?

Lost Primarch
28-08-2007, 16:01
The Centaurs look sweet (DKK range), although I doubt they're very efficient in game-terms.

Apart from the Valkyrie, the only one I really like is the Baneblade - and that'll be available in plastic soon anyway.

Denthúl
28-08-2007, 16:01
Are you talking tanks, cos I would go with a vulture otherwise...

I agree. The Vulture is a great looking model. If only I had one...or three... :D

Other than the Vulture, I'd say perhaps the Vanquisher. Perhaps not the best tank in terms of in-game use, but I really love the model.

Axel
28-08-2007, 16:11
A Vanquisher is good. Any army encountering tanks could need one, and the rules are pretty common.
The laser Destroyer is sligthly less common and restricted to anti-tank. The Basilisk is just that, a Bassi with armoured compartement - not really that usefull, for once the Basilisk is under fire this will usually not protect it. The Conquerer lost its advantage over the standard LR with fourth edition and is imho a relict. The Exterminator and Griffon are pretty efficient for their points, both mainly in the anti-infantry section. I would go with the Exterminator if overall battlefield performance plays a role.

BTW: There are several usages for the Centaur, too. Its fast and can transport up to five men and has a hatchet for a heavy weapon that can fire when the vehicle can. With a small HQ and a Lascannon you can surprise your enemy with a light but hard hitting tank hunter.

Cade
28-08-2007, 16:53
Gorgon.

It's the perfect example of everything the IG is.

Big tank, loads and loads of men.

Durendal
28-08-2007, 17:01
Shadowsword has always been one of my favorite tanks :D

Titan? What titan?

JustTony
28-08-2007, 17:07
A Vanquisher is a regular part of my Deamonhunter/Inducted Guard list. It's handy for blasting tanks (Str 8 + 2d6 added for Pen Rolls). I also have a Vulture and Valkyrie. Both are good looking models and fairly effective on the table but the Valkyrie is a stone b*tch to build. ( I continue in my hopes for a plastic Valkyrie)
However the Hydra Anti-Aircraft tank may be the best thing to get for Apocolypse. Two pair of long range, twin-linked Autocannons (Str 7 so no armor save!) in an AA mobile mount, with a Heavy bolter in the hull and a stubber on a pintle mount, it's a LOT of firepower and can possibly handle anything that isn't AV 14. My brother has one and it's a nightmare for my Tyranids and Eldar.
Remember, however, to get what you like, whether the looks of the model or its rules on the table.

Peace through superior firepower.

Aurellis
28-08-2007, 17:28
have any of you used any of the tanks etc mentioned?

I am only asking because I dont want to buy a lemon (like my car :( )

Is a stormblade Anti Heavy Inf, Anti Titan or Anti Tank?

My friend has a Stormblade and its amazing. It has a massive plasma blastgun, and hull mounted lascannons and heavy bolters.

It's great for anti-heavy infantry and vehicles :)

Norsehawk
28-08-2007, 18:02
One thing you could get is grab a few of the turrets for the leman russ variants, they are reasonably cheap (compared to the whole tank) I also picked up a malcador which I love the model, and it definitely is an interesting tank choice, its basically a rolling bunker and since its super heavy, you can split fire towards any enemies that the guns can see (8 total guns, 5 heavy bolters, a demolisher cannon, and options for either 2 lascannons, 2 more heavy bolters, or flamers)

Stella Cadente
28-08-2007, 18:09
ANY of the Death Korp tanks are enough to give a tank lover a hard-on for the rest of his life, if they don't, then there not human

FunkyCommissar
28-08-2007, 18:11
Axel, the conqueror isn't a relic, IMHO, I've found that its pretty useful against things with relatively light armor

RexTalon
28-08-2007, 18:30
I own...

a Shadowsword (the interior detail one)

two Thunderbolt fighters

a LR Conqueror turret

two scratch built Vanquisher turrets

two twin linked heavy bolter Chimera turrets

an autocannon Chimera turret

a Macharius heavy tank

a turret emplacement

a LR Destroyer

And both rocket launching versions of the Sentinel

The Shadowsword is just kind of a cool model. I like the look of it, but it really only kills one thing at a time. However, in games including titans I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. It slays titans like there is no tomorrow. Fire everything else in your army to weaken the shields, then fire your Shadowsword, and watch the titans fall.

The Thunderbolts are super sweet looking and they are really the centerpieces for my army. I'm in the Air Force, so there is a special connection between me and these models. They do a wide range of damage. They have twin linked lascannons and quad autocannons, which are good on heavy infantry and vehicles, but the reserves roll thing means you can't hinge your whole battle plan on them. Take improved comms if you take aircraft.

LR turret variants are a nice way to spruce things up. I suggest the Vanquisher mod. Just grab 6 small magnets and make the center (fat) section of your tank barrel interchangeable using a piece of plastic tube. It's easy and effective in tank battles. You'll thank your lucky stars that you have that extra dice for penetration, but rolling on BS sucks so make sure it's your command tank (with the better BS), or a tank ace.

The rocket launching sentinel has a mighty punch but it's still weak as heck on armor. It's going to die quick if you stick it out where things can hit it, AND don't forget that it takes up a heavy support slot. Keep in in the rear and let it rain missiles. It's an expensive toy points wise, but it'll make your enemy hunt it down and divert expensive troops if you place it correctly. (And if there's one thing IG likes, it's to make the enemy come at you separately)

The LR Destroyer is pretty useless. I only field it when I'm fielding everything I own. It hits hard, but you have to roll on BS, and it's really only good on small groups of heavy infantry. Use it on 5 man termies and Broadside battle suits.

The Macharius Heavy Tank, it's the most beautiful tank I own. Indeed, I think it's the most beautiful tank in the entire arsenal! I made the barrels magnetized so I could switch them out with Vanquisher barrels so that it can become my new command tank. This may not be the shootiest tank there is, but it is so pretty. I would use it on high value infantry or high value armor, if you're using the vanquisher barrels. Don't let the twin linked cannon of goodness go to waste!

Light of the Emperor
28-08-2007, 18:33
I'm a fan of the bombard. It's very guard looking and screams siege/static defense. I have no idea what it lobs or how far but its a neat looking vehicle nonetheless. I plan on getting one or two that can "count as" basilisks if I don't like the FW rules.

Ibram Gaunt
29-08-2007, 22:10
what style of army do you have and what is your army good at doing, then look at what weaponary the tank has got and get one that fits in with it

I <3 W
29-08-2007, 22:41
Baneblade vanquisher centaur(dkok) gorgon cyclopes malcador

In order of lickingness

Quentin
29-08-2007, 23:12
The Griffon Mortar and the Manticore. Basically the Basilisk's hotter cousins that you only get to see once in a while.

Hulkster
29-08-2007, 23:59
Thanks for all the replies.

I still am not sure what to get

I am getting a Vanq Turret (the Looong barrelled one)

but I cant decide between a vulture, Malcador (normal), Hydra or macharius

:(

Ibram Gaunt
30-08-2007, 19:35
Good luck in choosing

PaRaSiTe_X92
30-08-2007, 21:38
Tank-wise (non-super heavy) I love the Vanquisher and...the Cyclops!

The Cyclops is soooo cool! A small little tank which fits inside a Chimera, and it's cheap! What's not to like?

Bunnahabhain
31-08-2007, 00:25
Is it just me, or does a cyclops look like an epic land raider?

freebooter
31-08-2007, 00:59
My vote goes to the Macharius Vanquisher.

This is one of the sexiest FW models I have ever seen and the only thing that tops it are the Warhound titans, that and most likely the Reaver when it's released.

I also really like the Leman Russ destroyer just because it looks awesome although I've never used one in game. Although I'm working on converting one now so that may change soon....

Colonel Stagler
31-08-2007, 01:37
Imperial Bombard, A good solid piece of long ranged weaponry, 7 inch template, str 8 ap 3, a nightmare for any MEQ player or horde player alike :)

pwrgmrguard
31-08-2007, 02:25
I got a shadowsword, scratchbuilt destroyer (lighter for the barrel, i can toast your models...literaly!!), a scrathbuilt Exterminator turret(complete with russ) and a converted Vanquisher turret(again complete with russ). And three basilisks. And a CHimera. And a LR Demolisher. And a Standard leman russ. And three Sentinels.

thirteen vehicles, about 130 infantry models...bonafide treadhead.

Personnally Shadowsword is a monster. It survives and eats vehicles like none other. I have an armorcast one from about 20 yrs ago.

Light of the Emperor
31-08-2007, 03:38
Imperial Bombard, A good solid piece of long ranged weaponry, 7 inch template, str 8 ap 3, a nightmare for any MEQ player or horde player alike :)

Ah so that's what it does. Makes me like it even more!

Serpent
31-08-2007, 05:52
For smaller games, you just can't beat the Exterminator. 11-14 shots per turn. And I like the look of it, too...

Hulkster
31-08-2007, 07:22
Hmmmm I do like artillary...

I <3 W
07-09-2007, 03:18
I got my baneblade which is 1337, but I think that the macharius is the 1337est model ever made....oohhhh i is AWSOME

RexTalon
07-09-2007, 04:37

I may have to convert me one of these... Failing that, Christmas is right around the corner.

lordbeefy
07-09-2007, 06:39
I am lucky enough to own many FW pieces. One of the best to look at is the Amageddon pattern Basilisk. A real joy to look at...b*tch to build, but pretty.

The best on a game top...well, a toss up between two really. I love the Stygies pattern Vanquisher....running with a veteran AC type army list, this baby is very effective, and retains anti-infantry capability. The second is the Laser Destroyer. A gorgeous looking model, and used properly an extremely effective, if one trick, tank.

I fielded my destroyer on the mega tank battle a couple years ago, and got some lovely cover, with very restricted fire lanes...this baby went and hunkered down and took on all comers...something like 15 kills in the morning game, and a dozen in the afternoon....very, very effective.

onnotangu
07-09-2007, 14:44
Hellhound.

Hulkster
07-09-2007, 15:46
i do love the look of the laser destroyer as well, and i like the bombard

well for the time being i decided upon the Vulture think it will be a hydra next, then a bombard

thanks for all the input people

Spacker
07-09-2007, 15:56
I like the Laser Destroyer so much I have two! (well, one FW kit, one conversion, my opponents hate them :)) As lordbeefy points out, it's great for hiding behind cover and sniping tanks, it's low profile means it'll get hull down almost always and the weapon is vicious.

The Vulture is nice, but has a habit (like all flyers) of shooting off the table after doing nothing if it gets touched by a weapon. A Valkyrie might be a better choice depending on your needs - at least it can ship some stormtroopers in, and still has enough armanent to annoy your opponent.

Hdyras a definitely a good choice - I have one, and while it doesn't get to do much AA at the moment it's an evil weapon against infantry and light/medium vehicles, chucking out a lot of firepower.

I'm looking at picking up a Bombard myself at GD UK (along with more Krieg), I've liked the model since it was released but just haven't managed to get around to buying one.

Like lordbeefy I have a few FW models - my current favourites being the Chaos Warhound, Macharius (normal version, I think the barrels on the vanq version are ugly with that large muzzle brake), Thunderbolt, and Vampire (the Vampire just oozes power, I've got the Raider version but I'm converting up some pulsars to field it in the Hunter role too, it's bg, heavy, and feels like it's worth the pricetag; although I picked it up on eBay at a hefty discount ;)).

Hulkster
07-09-2007, 16:01
well i want a flyer, i understand the risks I just love the model

hydra will deff be next, i love that model as well

i wanted a macharius but they are just so expensive, 90 quid, it is just 2 expensive, especially when compared to the baneblade which is 60 quid

Spacker
07-09-2007, 16:03
i wanted a macharius but they are just so expensive, 90 quid, it is just 2 expensive, especially when compared to the baneblade which is 60 quid

Don't compare it to a plastic kit. Compare it to the £150 resin FW Baneblade, and then £90 doesn't seem so bad :p

Hulkster
07-09-2007, 16:13
lol maybe but either way it is a lot of wonga

xibo
07-09-2007, 17:03
From the way the models look, I like those, in order ( tactics can be adapted to fit the models rules ... ):
- Valkyrie
- Lightning
- Missile Launcher Sentinel
- Manticore
- Vulture
- If asked for urine vehicles, too, then the Damocles Command APC would come here
- Artemia Pattern Hellhound
- Armageddon Bassilisk
- Armageddon Medusa

Although I also like the Shadowsword and however it's called superheavy with the plasma cannon.

Wolflord Havoc
07-09-2007, 17:07
I love the Storm Blade personally

It is better than the Shadow Sword because it is cheaper, has a much better suite of weapons and looks really really cool with this bloody big plasma cannon poking out of it.

And I choose it over the Baneblade because all of the 'then' unsubstantiated rumours of the Plastic Baneblade....which have turned out to be true.

don_mondo
07-09-2007, 18:01
For looks, the Destroyer.

For game effect, Griffons with Infernus shells. Cheap and very powerful, any infantry hit by the shell automatically fall back. And per a discussion with the FW folks, yes, that includes Fearless..................

lordbeefy
07-09-2007, 18:04
Got a griffon...the FW version is soooo superior to the old GW one.

Hulkster....while I will definately be getting a GW baneblade, judging from the photos that I have seen, the FW version is superior in so many ways its just ridiculous....but yes, the price differential is a big factor.

RexTalon
07-09-2007, 18:10
From the way the models look, I like those, in order ( tactics can be adapted to fit the models rules ... ):
- Valkyrie
- Lightning
- Missile Launcher Sentinel
- Manticore
- Vulture
- If asked for urine vehicles, too, then the Damocles Command APC would come here
- Artemia Pattern Hellhound
- Armageddon Bassilisk
- Armageddon Medusa

Although I also like the Shadowsword and however it's called superheavy with the plasma cannon.

No love for the Thunderbolt? It's my favorite!

Spacker
07-09-2007, 18:48
For looks, the Destroyer.

For game effect, Griffons with Infernus shells. Cheap and very powerful, any infantry hit by the shell automatically fall back. And per a discussion with the FW folks, yes, that includes Fearless..................

Which FW folks were those? In IA5 Infernus shells were changed to include the line "Fearless units may ignore this", so Fearless units don't fall back. These are for the Heavy Mortars, which are the wheeled versions of the Griffon and fire exactly the same shells. Expect the IA3 Q&A to be updated with the same text for retrospectively updating the earlier Griffon Infernus shell rules.

Captain Micha
07-09-2007, 18:50
Macharian,

Malcador

and the flyers...

Lord Cook
07-09-2007, 19:05
I'm really liking the Malcador at the moment. With 7 heavy bolters and a demolisher cannon, plus structure points, it's a gorgeous model that only comes in at 285 points. As a super heavy it's very difficult to destroy, and has the great advantage that getting stunned/shaken will only stop 1 weapon from firing, not all of them. Put it in the middle of your line and watch it mow down enemy troops in all directions.

Keichi246
07-09-2007, 19:21
Based on looks:

Valkyrie - but mine was a major PAIN to build. The cargo hull halves were significantly warped - and too heavy to reasoonably reshape. A bit of interior detail was gone too - I think I had one that was pulled near the end of it's mold life.

Vanquisher Stygies on Mars Alpha Hull - The Mars Alpha hulls can be a bit tricky, but OMG -- when finished - this thing looks viscious/beautiful.

Ryza Pattern Leman russ on Mars Alpha Hull - great looking tank. I'd make ALL my Leman Russes like this if i had the cash.

Game- wise:
Ryza Pattern Leman russ. No one will EVER complain about you using a Codex tank with a slightly different model.

I have a lot of Forge World myself. Several years and another job ago; I was under a lot of stress, but was getting hefty quartely bonuses as well. My stress relief was bulding and painting a tank a week - often Forge World.

I never liked the look of the Vulture. I think that huge turbofan right behind the cockpit is the reason. It just seems like a bad idea.... I kitbashed my own Vulture out of a 1/48 scale Russian Hokum attack helicopter, some plasticard, and a severe bits box raid.

ServanoTomasin
07-09-2007, 20:02
Personaly, I love the Atlas. But I will admit it could be vastly improved - model and rules. This love stems from my Uncle's job in REME in ww2, and the fact that I am planning on joining aswell. That and the fact that I'm obsessed with anything AdMech....

The model his a real cow to build and it breaks easily. I think it could do with a crane on the back like the Brit CR-ARRV recovery tank, a front and rear monted winch and a dozer at the front. Also, I make a "box" structure on mine at the back to make it longer.

The lightning attack is a nice model. i prefer it to the thunderbolt, but I just prefer fighters to F-bombers (That said, mabey 2 auto cannons would be better than 1).

I like the Stygeis (sp?) Vanquisher, I like the barrel end. The other thing that made me get 1 is the way that 3 of them work in the Gaunt's Ghosts book before traitor general(Sabbat thingy).

I haven't got one, but I like the LD-hunter. I agree that it is one of the nicest FW models avalible. I tired a conversion based on a chimera after the description in Honour Guard, but it looked like a turret-less chimera with a drain pipe glued to the front. That or a very big dust bin...

On the ork side of things, I have 2 fighta bommaz. Only used them 3 times, but boy do they look sweet. The first 1 (1st FW thing I ever got) is painted red with yellow flames and the second is my "ace" and is black with a very big kill tally, after 1 game where he killed alot.(Think, 75% of an armoured company).

Duhgame
07-09-2007, 22:33
Leman Russ Vanquisher hands down is the best gaming model IMHO. Baneblade will be plastic, so it doesn't count anymore for me. Stormblade is the best looking tank, and is well balanced for mutliple use (weapons that can take down infantry, tanks, and a titan-killer gun). Everything else is nice too, but these are my favorties.

RobbyJamal
08-09-2007, 02:01
Your best bet is the stormblade or baneblade.