PDA

View Full Version : Eldar or SM v Imperial Guard - opinions please...

levinas
28-09-2007, 11:41
Hi - I've just got myself an IG army for epic and need a second army to play it (I'll be providing both forces if I'm to get someone to play!). Originally I thought of Orcs but the idea of painting that many infantry is a bit off-putting. So that leaves Marines or Eldar as a smaller force to paint up. I like both sets of models so it comes down to which force would be more fun against IG. As I'm yet to play the game I can't really tell so perhaps some of you have opinions on this to help me decide.

For the record, my IG army will have:
1 Tank Co
1 Supreme Commander Co
1 Infantry Co.
Storm troopers in Valkries
Warhound titan (maybe two)
Shadowsword Co
Thunderbolts
And a few other bits and bobs.

So, over to you. Should I get Marines or Eldar or should I stick with the orcs after all?

Chaos and Evil
28-09-2007, 12:48
I vote for Marines, because Thunderhawk gunships are just cool!

Perhaps Chaos Marines even.

levinas
28-09-2007, 13:39
That's the kind of logic I like! I'm looking to play for fun (not all-out win-at-all-costs stuff) and toys that look nice are a major factor!

I take it that Marines v IG would be reasonably balanced/fun?

tabletopnews
28-09-2007, 14:21
I'd actually suggest Eldar since it actually makes a little sense :-) and it provides two armies with very different game play and visuals.

Marines are wicked tough to play with until you get a fair bit of experience with them (or good dice rolls) and Eldar are a lot more forgiving for new gamers.

Guard and Eldar would make great armies to play and they have a lot of options to provide some interesting armies.

tabletopnews
28-09-2007, 14:21
Perhaps Chaos Marines even.

Eldar might be easier to find figures for and the Chaos vehicles, if you can find them, look pretty dated compared to the Eldar and new Marine minis.

Chaos and Evil
28-09-2007, 15:13
Just use loyalist vehicles for chaos vehicles.

Painted right, a loyalist land raider looks fine as a chaos land raider... 'chaos' doesn't just mean 'lots of spikes'... but you can add your own spikes if you want!

tabletopnews
28-09-2007, 21:40
'chaos' doesn't just mean 'lots of spikes'...

It does mean the odd Chaos symbol though

I use the new SM Predators as Chaos proxies and they don't really do it for me.

StugMeister
29-09-2007, 07:54
Yeah, I'd go for Eldar.

Chaos Marine's would be cool if you fancy some conversion work?

Chaos and Evil
29-09-2007, 09:14
It does mean the odd Chaos symbol though

I use the new SM Predators as Chaos proxies and they don't really do it for me.

Nothing wrong with doing a little freehand painting instead of relying on the sculpt!

Alternatively, visit forgeworld:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/brassetch/khorne.jpg

levinas
29-09-2007, 10:44
Ohhhhhh, so it's eldar 2, SM/Chaos 1... If both are going to give a decent game then I reckon this will have to come down to the miniatures now, I'll take look at GW and FW for some inspiration.

That said, Eldar are now in the lead based on the comment above about them being a more 'realistic' (!) option for the IG to fight...

levinas
29-09-2007, 13:20
Just saw the Eldar Revenant Titans. My mind is made up!

tabletopnews
29-09-2007, 16:02
Nothing wrong with doing a little freehand painting instead of relying on the sculpt!

I'm not going to spend my time to produce figures when the company can't be arsed to do it themselves. I have better ways to spend my time.

I am building a Traitor PDF force since I can do that with existing minis and I'll be spending my time painting small chaos symbols on those vehicles instead.

GW lost my money when it comes to Epic Chaos.

Drasriath
29-09-2007, 19:55
I vote for Eldar.

Marines are overplayed, boring and generally a very unchallenging army. Did I mention everyone and their brother plays them?

tabletopnews
30-09-2007, 00:40
Marines are overplayed, boring and generally a very unchallenging army.

Won't agree with them being overplayed but "unchallenging"? Which version of Epic are you playing?

Chaos and Evil
30-09-2007, 08:43
Aye, Marines are just abou the hardest army to play as in Epic, because they require that you posess the same kind of tactical finesse as a 200 year-old Marine commander... Epic is a simulation wargame, not a cartoon wargame! :D

If you try and play Marines in Epic like you play them in 40k, you'll be wiped out by the end of turn two!

tabletopnews
30-09-2007, 14:24
Aye, Marines are just abou the hardest army to play as in Epic...

Well in E:A they are which was the basis of my question.

I don't recall them being as tough in the previous versions. I never played E40K so I can't comment on that game.