PDA

View Full Version : epic eldar points Help needed

Autarch Jay
05-10-2007, 18:23
I am just starting epic and ive went for eldar probaly not the best choice :D
but what i dont understand is the guardian warhost and its points can you remove the farseer and what would the points value be then?

Occulto
08-10-2007, 03:05
You can't drop the farseer from the guardian warhost. (Not sure why you'd want to)

150 points gets you one farseer and seven guardian bases.

Patriarch
08-10-2007, 11:53
The standard army list doesn't let you remove them for a points break.

If you're asking because you don't have any farseer stands, there are two solutions:

1) use a proxy until you can find something more suitable (see the "counts as rule" in Section 6)

2) if you're playing with friends, come up with a suitable house rule, e.g. removing the farseer reduces the cost of the formation by 25 or 50 points. The amry lists given are for the "grand tournament" and formal/competitive battles between complete strangers. If your opponent/gaming group is OK with you using a reasonable alternative, go for it.

However the Farseer is the best bit about guardian stands - he can summon the (free) Avatar, is no slouch in assaults, is a commander, and gives you advantages when trying to retain the initiative. Without him the guardians are an assault unit with no armour and meagre close combat ability.

Autarch Jay
11-10-2007, 11:13
Thank you but the prob is the eldar warhost bought on the gw site only has 1 farseer
and 14 gaurdian stands. Also i cant find where to buy farseer separately.
sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Patriarch
11-10-2007, 11:43
In order of decreasing cost:

1) Buy lots of warhost boxes. Ideally you want 1 farseer surrounded by 4 warlocks.

2) Ebay. Buy warlock/farseer stands, or Eldar sprues cheap. The advantage is that the older sprues include heavy weapons and support weapons, so you don't have to take all cannon-fodder to summon the avatar. I'm planning to list some epic eldar this weekend...

3) You can proxy the farseer by using warlock minis (look the same but Warlocks carry swords instead of spears). Use 1 warlock/farseer to represent the farseer, and 4 guardians to act as bodyguard.

4) Paint one of your guardian stands a different colour.

BTW, the online store is a bit misleading. You get 2 farseers, 4 warlocks and 4 exarchs, as you get two of the sprues illustrated.

Autarch Jay
13-10-2007, 14:30
Thanks alot this is really useful. Misleading as in 14 gaurdians and 4 jetbikes on both as in 28 Gaurdians and 8 jetbikes alltogether or just 14 guardians and 4 jetbikes all together and they missed out 2 farseers ect
one otherthing if you do only get 4 jetbikes all together you will be missing 2 jetbikes off from a tournement legal force Right? if 8 jetbikes there would be 2 extra...
please explain ive ended up getting myself confused.

BTW shouldn“t it say 6 jetbikes (making it 12 alltogether for 2 sheets ect) or is the illastration incorrect if tell me please.

Patriarch
13-10-2007, 15:25
They have total arsed up the description. For £12 you get:

70 guardians (14 stands)
10 Howling Banshees (2 stands)
10 Striking Scorpion (2 stands),
10 Swooping Hawks (2 stands),
10 Wraithguard (2 stands),
20 Scouts (4 stands),
10 Dark reapers (2 stands),
10 Warp Spiders (2 stands), and
12 Jetbikes (4 or 6 stands depending on how you mount them)
2 Farseers
4 Warlocks
4 Exarchs
Bunch of rectangular stands.

The rules for basing are early in the rulebook. 3-7 models per infantry stand, 2-4 bikes/jetbikes/cavalry per stand.

Autarch Jay
15-10-2007, 11:53
Thanks thats told me it all for what you get in that. something else has come up though
Are the scouts, rangers and is a wind rider troupe basically 2 stands of 3 jetbikes or 3 stands of 2 ect. And are stands referred to as units in the swordwind part 4.
also for the 150 extra points on Guardians you can add 3 wraithgaurd units does that mean anything from 9 to 21 wraithgaurd models.
one last thing ive probably missed it out when scanning through the rules but is there an advantage of having more guys on one stand (5 men are better than 3 on one stand).
also where do you find wounds and damage.
5 men on one stand equals 5 wounds?
but for tanks......

Patriarch
15-10-2007, 12:45
Thanks thats told me it all for what you get in that. something else has come up though
Are the scouts, rangers and is a wind rider troupe basically 2 stands of 3 jetbikes or 3 stands of 2 ect. And are stands referred to as units in the swordwind part 4.
also for the 150 extra points on Guardians you can add 3 wraithgaurd units does that mean anything from 9 to 21 wraithgaurd models.
one last thing ive probably missed it out when scanning through the rules but is there an advantage of having more guys on one stand (5 men are better than 3 on one stand).
also where do you find wounds and damage.
5 men on one stand equals 5 wounds?
but for tanks......

1 Unit = 1 stand.
For tanks, armoured vehicles and war engines, 1 unit = 1 model.

So a wind rider troupe is 6 stands of jetbikes. At 2,3, or 4 bikes per stand, that is a total of 12, 18, or 24 bikes to make a whole wind rider troupe.

You are correct on the wraithguard. As the rectangular and square bases both have 5 holes, infantry stands are almost always made up of 5 models. So the guardians are joined by 3 stands of wraithguard for a total of 15 little robots.

Treat the stand as a single one-wound unit, regardless of how many little men are on it. The whole stand is either "alive" or "dead". You don't say "two of my marines are dead so three are still alive". Either all 5 are dead, or all 5 are still alive. One AP shot will either kill them, or miss altogether.

There is no advantage of having more men on a stand. It's just an aesthetic thing. 5 men per base looks good, 3 men per base will give you more stands.

I use 2 bikes/jetbikes/cavalry per stand, because that is all that fits on square bases. It depends what bases you have, and what looks good.

Autarch Jay
16-10-2007, 13:10
So a wind rider troupe is 6 stands of jetbikes. At 2,3, or 4 bikes per stand, that is a total of 12, 18, or 24 bikes to make a whole wind rider troupe.

does that mean a ranger as reffered to in the rules counts as one ranger stand not just 4 rangers
and in the case of the swordwind its 6 stands of jetbikes not just 6 jetbikes.

Patriarch
16-10-2007, 17:32
does that mean a ranger as reffered to in the rules counts as one ranger stand not just 4 rangers
and in the case of the swordwind its 6 stands of jetbikes not just 6 jetbikes.

Yes. Whenever the rules refer to bike and infantry units they are referring to whole stands, never to an individual Ranger, single marine etc. What models you have on the stand don't really matter. For game purposes, a stand with 2 bikes on is identical to a stand with 4 bikes on.

Autarch Jay
17-10-2007, 08:49
Thank you thanks alot

Patriarch
17-10-2007, 11:13
No worries AJ, happy gaming!

Autarch Jay
19-10-2007, 11:17
got a new prob in the swordwind part 4 it says 8 aspects stands for 300 points
can that be any combination of aspects like 2 warpspiders, 2 strikingscorpions, 2 howling banshees and 2 firedragons.

Patriarch
19-10-2007, 16:24
Yes, any combo of 8 stands you like. Obviously some combos make more sense than others...

Autarch Jay
19-10-2007, 17:29
ok but one other prob not really on subject sorry.
when u buy the warhost you get 10 of each stopping you to only having 10 stands all together as described in one of the above posts

Patriarch
20-10-2007, 19:18
Hmmm...for one thing the warhost sprue doesn't contain Shining Spears, Direc Avengers or Fire Dragons, all of which are metal and sold in blisters. DA and FD are fairly universal aspect warrior types. SS are great for bustung armoured vehicles and even titans with a bit of support.

If you want to keep to official GW, you need to open your wallet for a decent AW force, otherwise make do with the guardians (or proxy guardians as DA with a suitable paint job).

If you're on a budget (and who isn't?) try eBay. Eldar epic stuff is on all the time. I'll soon be listing some of my own excess Eldar, mostly infantry on and off the sprues.

Autarch Jay
21-10-2007, 00:06
no what i mean is are they even allowed to sell you that something isnt gw legal in the first place.
whats AW?

Patriarch
21-10-2007, 09:09
Well, it isn't GW legal for a WH40K war walker to be armed with half a dozen heavy weapons at the same time, but you still get all those weapons in the War Walker box.

I suppose the epic warhost box gives you a choice as to which AWs you want in your formation. But really you need more AWs than you get in the warhost box to make your formations work. For example, Swooping Hawks don't really make sense except in a formation of 8 SH stands, otherwise you can't make the most of their special abilities.

AW = Aspect Warrior

In the meantime paint some guardians blue to make DA stands, and some red to make FD stands.

Hena
21-10-2007, 13:28
Remember that 'counts as' rules can be used (p.127, in section 6.2.1). So buying two infantry boxes would give easy way to use most stuff (in addition to that one blister which gives two missing aspects).

Autarch Jay
23-10-2007, 07:17
thanks alot

Moscovian
31-10-2007, 21:03
You may also want to check out www.chaosorc.com as he is an excellent source of Epic stuff. You can buy bits and bobs from him for decent prices. I've purchased from him 5 times and never been disappointed. If you email him he may be able to work out something special for you as well. He helped me out when I was looking for a specific OOP Eldar titan.

Autarch Jay
03-11-2007, 19:09
Thanks yet again