PDA

View Full Version : NetEpic?

simuk
12-10-2007, 17:01
Whats your opinion on the fan's update of the 2nd edition rules guys?

The 2nd Edition is the set i played to death and i loved the really individual nature of the units, (bubble chuckers, Supa-Lifta Dropa's and all the mass of titan weapons to choose from).

While im waiting on Armageddon arriving in the mail (stupid royal mail and their strikes), i am seriously considering printing NetEpic out and giving it a try.

My only one real concern is the First Fire System, when i used to play the games always got bogged down into a slugging match in the first fire phase ("if it moved it died" usually prevailed).
Any Thoughts on this?

Also in 3rd edition for the brief few games that i played of it, i found the blast markers really wrecked the likes of a space marine army (my orks could just mass up and blow the crap out of any marines, the way placing of blast markers worked), dont push me to much on this rule (long time since i played it). Have they fixed this "problem" in E.A?

cheers for your thoughts

Chaos and Evil
12-10-2007, 17:10
Have they fixed this "problem" in E.A?

The short answer is yes, space marines absorb twice as many blast markers as other armies before breaking. :)

The long answer is that Epic:Armageddon (4th edition) was enough of a rewrite of the basic game system to mean it's basically an entirely new game as compared to 3rd edition. It takes the best of 2nd ed. and mixes it with a sprinkling of 3rd ed. and comes up with an almost perfect game.

Netepic, well, it's not to my taste, but it has quite a following.

primarch
14-10-2007, 23:58

The 2nd Edition is the set i played to death and i loved the really individual nature of the units, (bubble chuckers, Supa-Lifta Dropa's and all the mass of titan weapons to choose from).

While im waiting on Armageddon arriving in the mail (stupid royal mail and their strikes), i am seriously considering printing NetEpic out and giving it a try.

My only one real concern is the First Fire System, when i used to play the games always got bogged down into a slugging match in the first fire phase ("if it moved it died" usually prevailed).
Any Thoughts on this?

Also in 3rd edition for the brief few games that i played of it, i found the blast markers really wrecked the likes of a space marine army (my orks could just mass up and blow the crap out of any marines, the way placing of blast markers worked), dont push me to much on this rule (long time since i played it). Have they fixed this "problem" in E.A?

cheers for your thoughts

Hi!

Most, if not all the old problems with the original SM2 system were addressed in the multiple revisions. While the basic mechanics are still the same MUCH has changed. There is alternating movement, fog of war, titan construction weapon builds, praetorian location templates and MUCH, MUCH more.

Print it out and give it try.

Also keep in mind that NetEpic Gold, a full fledged color rulebook is being made, so once thats done you'll have a actual rulebook that will rival anything out there for epic.

You got nothing to lose, since its free. :p

Primarch

Patriarch
15-10-2007, 12:14
The best part about EA is something that none of the other editions fixed, which was differentiating between infantry.

The effect of shooting Gretchin, Eldar Guardians, and Space Marines was exactly the same, they all died at the same rate. Even terminators were only slightly hardier (a save of 6 on 1d6).

EA does away with that very effectively, so different units have different saves, but in a simple and intuitive way.

Dwarf Supreme
15-10-2007, 16:31

Since you like 2nd Edition, odds are you'll like NetEpic even more. As Primarch mentioned, many of the problems have been ironed out.

primarch
18-10-2007, 02:28
The best part about EA is something that none of the other editions fixed, which was differentiating between infantry.

The effect of shooting Gretchin, Eldar Guardians, and Space Marines was exactly the same, they all died at the same rate. Even terminators were only slightly hardier (a save of 6 on 1d6).

EA does away with that very effectively, so different units have different saves, but in a simple and intuitive way.

Hi!

Netepic has long since made infantry "individualized". SM have had saves unlike IG and other "soft" infantry targets and under netepic terminators have a much better save.

There is very little Epic A introduced that netepic has not been doing for years with the exception of some suppression/blast marker mechanic.

If you loved SM2 chances are netepic is your game.

Primarch

Chaos and Evil
18-10-2007, 08:19
You'll find that Netepic has more of the old units (Like Bubble Chukkas etc), but it also has a few non-canon units (Like whatever a Rogal Dorn tank is...). Battles played under Netepic's rules will have quite a few more units than games played under Epic:Armageddon's rules.

However, it's pretty much acknowledged by players of both systems that Epic: Armgeddon is the more tactical of the two game systems.

So in the end, it comes down to which kind of game you're after, they are quite different systems.

tabletopnews
18-10-2007, 16:12
However, it's pretty much acknowledged by players of both systems that Epic: Armgeddon is the more tactical of the two game systems.

I'm not 100% certain of this and I think that a big issue here is whether you liked the old Space Marine game or not. If you did then Netepic will provide a lot of fun gameplay for you. If you didn't like Space Marine then Netepic isn't going to appeal much either.

The prime benefit, I think, is that it is a fan supported game so you aren't going to be left in a lurch like gamers currently are with E:A. It also has (had?) a lot of "fun" armies that you wouldn't see produced for E:A or a commercial game.

It is free so it really doesn't cost you anything to download it and have a look through the rules to see if it interests you.

Chaos and Evil
18-10-2007, 17:05
tabletopnews has some good points!

Hena
19-10-2007, 08:30
One thing that I think where E:A makes a better situation is division of weapons to AP and AT. No more LR companies which rock all :). As far as I know NetEpic doesn't have any division on weapon types.

However I do encourage getting both sets and going through the rules as they are available for free in net :D.

Iracundus
19-10-2007, 10:19
There isn't an artificial drawn line of distinction in NetEpic. The distinction is in the number of attack dice, to-hit, and save modifier. Anti-tank weapons will have good save modifiers but have lower number of attack dice whereas anti-infantry weapons will have the reverse, and jack of all trades weapons will be in between. You can use anti-tank weapons to hit infantry but then you can do the same in 40K (Lascannon against Spinegaunt). It just isn't a very efficient use of your shots but you can do it if you want.

simuk
21-10-2007, 16:33
Well guys i would like to thank you all for your opinions, Netepic has been printed out and bound :) , also my copy of E:A has arrived and it also looks interesting. The main concern is still with the Blast markers (but im hoping the sytem wins me over). I will 100% purchase NetEpic when it's realeased in book form and i am thrilled that this (the best GW game ever imo) still has a huge active fan base :).

After maybe 10 years since i pushed 6mm lead around a table i am attending a local club next saturday to play E:A!!!. I also have a friend who likes the sound of NetEpic, so im hoping it's a win-win situation for me.

Cheers again for your time, and may all your dice roll 6's

Chaos and Evil
21-10-2007, 20:45
Cool!

Where's your club? :)

primarch
22-10-2007, 00:37
Hi!

I'm trying my earnest to get netepic gold out the door soon. For the record even the gold e-book version will be FREE to whomever has the interest to download it.

I have been tinkering with the idea of an actual printed version, made non for profit covering just the cost of making it. I'm still looking in to the particulars of this.

In any event play epic and enjoy!

Primarch

Dwarf Supreme
22-10-2007, 16:43
Hi!
I have been tinkering with the idea of an actual printed version, made non for profit covering just the cost of making it. I'm still looking in to the particulars of this.

If you do decide to do that, sign me up!