PDA

View Full Version : Those Epic bases!

Pious Hearts
05-11-2007, 15:35
Just returned to Epic after twelve or so years - to discover there are a lot more options for base sizes!!!

Can somebody explain to me the tactical implications of basing your infantry on the older square size bases as opposed to the newer thin line bases?

Hena
05-11-2007, 15:44
Most noticed is the ability to "spread out" in order to control two objectives. This is easier to do with newer bases than old squares. In some cases I've managed to fit more units within building with the old. But in most situations, it's been irrelevant.

Pious Hearts
05-11-2007, 16:08
cool - ta very much.

McMullet
05-11-2007, 16:13
One thing I've noticed with the long thin bases is that you can easily get two bases in contact with one for close assaults, like this:

=|

With square bases it's a lot harder as you need extra space to fit them in.

Chaos and Evil
05-11-2007, 16:33
Note that both base sizes are legal for Epic games.

In fact, the rulebook specifies minimum and maximum dimentions, so that you can even make your own if you like!

scratchbuilt
05-11-2007, 17:41
I was thinking of putting the guys on slotta bases so my knights don't stand out.

CyberShadow
06-11-2007, 11:52
The advantages and disadvantages pretty much cancel each other out. Larger bases make assaulting/close combat easier, but take a bigger hit from templates (ie are more likely to be hit unless they are very speard out). Go with the one that you like the look of best.

Patriarch
06-11-2007, 12:00
Like CyberShadow says, the difference is mostly aesthetic for me.

Rectangular bases make the front and back of each model easier to paint, the square base makes things more tricky (or challenging...).

Since I already had a few armies when E40K came out with rectangular ones, I have stuck with square all along. Massed up I think square looks better, particularly for "horde" armies like Tyranids.

Stands and don't actually have a "facing" in the rules - they can see, move and shoot in any direction, so there's no need to have a clear "front" as there was in say, RT.