PDA

View Full Version : Epicalopse... Apicolypse... Err... 40K Scale Epic.

McMullet
14-11-2007, 12:36
With all this talk of Apocalypse and massive games, all I can think of is how tired my feet get after standing around for 10 hours to play a massive game of 40K. Hence, playing Epic with a 40K army seems a more attractive proposition, since it will actually be a fairly small game in points terms.

I went through my nearly-finished ~3500pt Crimson Fists army and found that, with fairly minor variations on the standard Space Marine Tournament list, I could make about 1400 points in 3 formations with the models I have.

In terms of actually making Epic work in 40K scale, what do you all think needs to be done? The most natural scale change would be to use inches in place of cm for distances, since that makes things bigger without being unmanageable: An 8'x6' table, say, is 96"x72", which is small for Epic but seems big enough for small (<1500pt) games which will probably feature armies lighter on transport vehicles than normal.

For bases I thought about WFB movement trays, but a simpler approach would be to keep models in base-to-base contact. A line of 4-5 models on 25mm bases is 4-5" by 1", which scales down to 40-50x10mm in Epic terms if we use the 1cm:1" ratio. That's not too far off the standard 40x10mm base used for an infantry stand. For 40mm based models, 3 in a line is slightly less than 5" wide and 1.7" deep - again, not far off. So, a "stand" of infantry is made by simply placing the models in a line and leaving them there.

For the barrage template, well we'll just have to go down the old fashioned route of cutting up a cereal packet. ;)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

If you're interested, my Crimson fists army would look like this:

Tactical Detachment, mounted in Rhinos (one is really a Whirlwind without a missile launcher :angel:)
Supreme Commander
Vindicator
(all as per the normal rules)
I then added half a Terminator detachment in a Land Raider and half an Assault detachment
That comes to about 785 points.

Scout Detachment (no transport)
Sniper upgrade
Completely standard as per the list - 175 points

Devastator Detachment (no transport)
Las/missile dreadnought
(normal up to here)
Predator (not sure whether to call it destructor or annihilator, it's an AC/Las one)
Comes to 375 points

Total: 1335

Hena
14-11-2007, 12:44
I dunno if any bases are needed. All models should be within 5 man "units". Each units members should be 0.8" from each other. Each unit needs to be 5" from each other. If you can hit one member of the unit, then the unit can be fired upon. You will though have a lot of moving to do each turn this way... Much easier to buy epic scale models :D.

Chaos and Evil
14-11-2007, 13:05
Heh, this sounds pretty fun... and definitely will be more tactical than Apocalypse!

McMullet
14-11-2007, 14:39
Hena: Yep, that seems reasonable. I was thinking keeping the models in a line (or in a square shape) would conform more to the way Epic works, but it may be that a variable but close formation would work just as well. As you say this would take a lot of movement, but at least it would be quicker than playing 4000 point 40K games. ;)

C&E: That's what I was thinking - that and it won't be so tiring. :p

Hena
14-11-2007, 14:55
Heh, remember that the rules specify that units base min size is 2cm and max 4cm (or similar diameter). So based on that you should keep the unit within those limitations :D. Though the 0.8" from each other should force this quite nicely I think.

wilting_laughter
14-11-2007, 15:00
I actually devoted a great deal of time a number of years ago to constructing a rules set for 40k based on the Epic rules* due to my frustration with the 40k rules. It included a rather radical redesign of how the codices work as well. I'd explain it all, but I'm supposed to be working on assignments right now.

Unforunately, I've forgotten many of the details and I have no idea what happened to the notes. I'm sure flicking through the Epic rulebook would refresh my memory. I recall that I had a great deal of difficulty trying to figure out a morale system.

Although I gather you have something more literal in mind here.

*The greatest rule set produced by GW, IMO.

Patriarch
14-11-2007, 17:38
You might be able to use square coffee coasters as temporary "stands" for 5 models if you have enough...or CD covers.

mrsurgeon
15-11-2007, 12:18
Predator (not sure whether to call it destructor or annihilator, it's an AC/Las one)

I believe that Predators are named after their turret-mounted armament, according to Codex Space Marines, so your Predator is a Destructor.

Misfratz
03-01-2008, 21:24
Did you try playing this in the end?

McMullet
04-01-2008, 12:02
Haven't gotten around to it sadly - the main problem is finding an opponent who plays E:A and has a lot of models. Given that I have one regular non-tournament opponent this isn't easy... I'll get around to it one day. :p

I was really just throwing the idea out for discussion.

Misfratz
04-01-2008, 21:50
Well... I have hopes of building a sizeable Ork Waaagh with the new Codex release.

You're not too far away in Southampton...

I'll drop you a line when I'm ready for a game of 40k scale Epic!

ex-green
09-01-2008, 22:49
I have a couple of sizable painted Epic armies( 2Marine 1 Squat) sat on a shelf doing nothing while i wait for someone else who plays in Southampton. Let me know if you want to try out different ways of playing.

McMullet
16-01-2008, 18:14
Well... I have hopes of building a sizeable Ork Waaagh with the new Codex release.

You're not too far away in Southampton...

I'll drop you a line when I'm ready for a game of 40k scale Epic!

Cool! Always nice for the Crimson Fists to beat some Orks up.

I have a couple of sizable painted Epic armies( 2Marine 1 Squat) sat on a shelf doing nothing while i wait for someone else who plays in Southampton. Let me know if you want to try out different ways of playing.

I just play regular Epic: Armageddon, but I wouldn't mind a game sometime (I currently have one (1) regular Epic opponent).