PDA

View Full Version : Biovores and Spore mines.

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 16:27
Some information from the new Tyranid codex on Biovores and spore mines

First of all all spore mines now use the blast template.

The strength & AP for the mines themselves has not changed.

Each Biovore fires as many spore mines as there as Biovores in that Brood (3 models max) - 0-1 heavy support choice.

If a spore mine makes contact with the enemy then that cluster of mines explodes. It's then treated as a normal barrage with the number of templates equal to the number of mines.

0-3 spore mines can also be purchased as a deepstriking fast attack choice.

Lord Uglor
14-04-2005, 16:58
In regards to the numbers of mines fired, do you mean:

1) total number fired by the brood is 3 per turn, for a maxed out brood, or
2) total number fired by the individual Biovore is 3 per turn for a mexed out brood, meaning 9 total shots for the brood per turn, or
3) total number fired by the individual Biovore is 3 per GAME, for a maxed out brood?

Just want a little clarification please.

Hortwerth
14-04-2005, 16:59

So that's now 3" template?

Each Biovore fires as many spore mines as there as Biovores in that Brood (3 models max) - 0-1 heavy support choice.

So a brood of 2 Biovores are placed in 2 different places and each biovore of that brood fires 2 spore mines every time it fires?

What happens if one Biovore gets killed? The other now shoots 1 mine a turn?

[EDIT:] And all that Lord Uglor asked above.

If a spore mine makes contact with the enemy then that cluster of mines explodes. It's then treated as a normal barrage with the number of templates equal to the number of mines

So you need 1 mine model for every "cluster" of mines, and you need to remember how many mines and consequent blasts there are?

Seems useful in small games only, unless the Raveners and Gargoyles got a major shift down in power.

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 17:15
So that's now 3" template?

Correct

So a brood of 2 Biovores are placed in 2 different places and each biovore of that brood fires 2 spore mines every time it fires?

0-1 Brood of Biovores per army so you can only take one. 3 Biovores max in the brood and they have to deploy together.

What happens if one Biovore gets killed? The other now shoots 1 mine a turn?

Then each Biovore reduces the number of spore mines in the cluster it shoots by one.

So you need 1 mine model for every "cluster" of mines, and you need to remember how many mines and consequent blasts there are?

No you place the other mines in base contact around the original.

Seems useful in small games only, unless the Raveners and Gargoyles got a major shift down in power.

Small games and to use up some points if you haven't maxed out your fast attack choice.

The quote in the codex is

Each Biovore fires as many Spore mines as there are Biovores in the Brood.

So three biovores would each fire once per turn and each cluster would contain 3 spore mines, 2 would fire once each containing two and so on.

Nurgling Chieftain
14-04-2005, 18:50
Hmm. That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 19:02
Hmm. That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

OK I'll try it again.

Biovores don't fire single mines any more they fire clusters.

example.

1st round of Tyranid shooting a brood of three biovores fire, all three scatter off their target and each cluster is placed as per scatter, each cluster contains three mines.

2nd round of shooting one biovore has been destroyed by lascannons, two biovores fire, they scatter again and two clusters are placed, each cluster now contains two spore mines.

zealousheretic
14-04-2005, 19:05
Brimstone, I have an immense amount of respect for you, but I'm thinkin' you're misinterpreting the codex's wording. 9 spore mines/turn, all fired at the same target, sounds a little... excessive.

Can they split fire? 'Cuz that would make a little more sense.

Side note: Unless the FA spore mines are way more points than they're worth, I'm definitely going to fill up any unused FA slot with 'em. I mean, why not?

(edit: hyberbole bad)

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 19:20
Brimstone, I have an immense amount of respect for you, but I'm thinkin' you're misinterpreting the codex's wording. 9 spore mines/turn, all fired at the same target, sounds a little... excessive.

I don't think so but I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. Don't forget it's not about spore mines any more it's about spore mine clusters.

I'm getting some advice to see if my understanding is correct.

Can they split fire? 'Cuz that would make a little more sense.

Don't believe so.

Wolf Scout Ewan
14-04-2005, 20:02
I understand

Each Biovore effectively = one barrage unit.

Each Biovore fires a barrage of mines as per the number of models in the brood.

Easy.

lord_blackfang
14-04-2005, 20:11
And when a cluster explodes, how can it be treated like a barrage? The 1" mines are in base contact, but the templates magically shift so they only touch on the edge and don't overlap?

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 20:15
I understand

Each Biovore effectively = one barrage unit.

Each Biovore fires a barrage of mines as per the number of models in the brood.

Easy.

Thank you :) , I've taken advice and I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Going to be very nasty for any target under a multiple AP3 bio-acid barrage :D

When a spore mine explodes the first template is centred on the mine that explodes, the rest of the mines in the cluster then explode resolving them as a normal barrage as per page 32 of the rulebook.

Wolf Scout Ewan
14-04-2005, 20:29
Yeah completely.

Rather scary in fact.

Roman
14-04-2005, 20:29
So if I get this right....

Biovores can cause alot of damage? :confused:

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 20:36
Yes but one of the downsides is it's only on one target per turn so you can end up overkilling a target.

Mr_Rose
14-04-2005, 20:44
Yeah, but do these "clusters" hang around once they land, like they do now? As in, if a biovore cluster is off-target, will the mines remain in play and drift?

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 20:49
Yeah, but do these "clusters" hang around once they land, like they do now? As in, if a biovore cluster is off-target, will the mines remain in play and drift?

Yes exactly the same way as they do now, scatter dice and a D6.

Black Ambience
14-04-2005, 20:55
So I am guessing that you need a number of Sporemines "on table" in each cluster equal to the number or mines in said cluster. And if they remain on the field as they do now... well two things will happen - 1) the field will become hell to move through and 2) everyone will be buying a load more Spore Mines!

All sounds very nasty though. No doubt the cheese cryers are waiting around the corner to ambush the poor defenceless Tyranid players. Still, cool idea - I like this a lot!

Mr_Rose
14-04-2005, 21:01
Not hardly; that particular ambush was sprung about 30 seconds after the Marine book hit the shelves :rolleyes:
It never ceases to amaze how vehement the reaction to a new codex is, even before the release, based purely on idle spec and (sorry Brimstone) second-hand rumours based on pre production documentation... bleh.

zealousheretic
14-04-2005, 21:05
I can see a reasoning; according to fluff, Tyranids scatter spore mineseverywhere.

There will be whining about this one. Hell, I play 'nids and it made me do a double-take.

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 21:11
It never ceases to amaze how vehement the reaction to a new codex is, even before the release, based purely on idle spec and (sorry Brimstone) second-hand rumours based on pre production documentation... bleh.

Don't worry about it, I've been wrong in the past and I'll be wrong in the future, in this case I think I'm right but it remains a rumour until the codex is widely available.

Biovores are fairly vunerable so you'll want to hide them, this means you are rolling 2D6/highest for scatter and then the scatter dice again for barrage template layout. So while powerful it's not the most reliable weapon in the world and you're only allowed a single brood.

Black Ambience
14-04-2005, 22:19
It seems like GW are trying to give the shooty element of the Tyranid swarm a real push - will Spore Mine barrages, Living Ammunition, good psychics and better ranges create a viable and competative alternative to the archetypal "wave of leapers" and "herd of TMCs"? We shall see...

Bruen
14-04-2005, 22:37
Yes but one of the downsides is it's only on one target per turn so you can end up overkilling a target.

Thats the best kind of kill that there is :)

Boduddley
15-04-2005, 00:17

If a spore mine makes contact with the enemy then that cluster of mines explodes. It's then treated as a normal barrage with the number of templates equal to the number of mines.

Am I correct in the fact that now Biovores with their spore mines will now cost a heavy support and a fast attack choice?
:confused:
That seems to be quite limiting to our army composition!

:rolleyes:

The whole issue on the Biovores seems alot more complicated and will probably lead to a lot of confusion during battles.

:confused:

The codices should be much more straight forward and not leave things to various interpretation!

:cool:

Black Ambience
15-04-2005, 16:12
The codices should be much more straight forward and not leave things to various interpretation!

Noooo!! That is the thinking that led to V3 of 40k. *shudders*

Fortunately they re-realised that things such as psychic powers and interesting rules that don't involve the phrase "ignores saves in close combat" enrich the game.

And no, Biovore broods still only use up one Heavy slot. The only reason that a Gast Attack slot is taken is if you decide to buy seperate broods of Spore Mines that you can deep strike independently of Biovore broods. Something that they had in the BBB V3 Tyranid list that I always loved.

Brimstone
15-04-2005, 20:44
Don't worry about it, I've been wrong in the past and I'll be wrong in the future, in this case I think I'm right but it remains a rumour until the codex is widely available.

Famous last words, I looked over the rule over and over and missed one word.

Each Biovore BROOD fires as many mines as there are biovores.

Oh well apologies for getting anyones hopes up.

I'll get me coat.

Deathjester26
15-04-2005, 21:07
So one spore mine for each biovore in the brood, that makes more sense.....
and kudos on all this info..

Roman
15-04-2005, 21:37
crap, that means they will stay useless :)

Inquisitor Engel
15-04-2005, 21:47
crap, that means they will stay useless :)
No, it means they won't wipe out one unit, twice their price, per turn. :p

Brimstone
15-04-2005, 21:55
No, it means they won't wipe out one unit, twice their price, per turn. :p

Nope just most of it. :D

Biovores are still very useful especially with bio-acid now they have done away
with the random flamer template.

Their brood telepathy means they will no longer remember they used to be orks (as mine did on a regular basis) and set off towards the enemy.

They also have an improved statline and for the first time a saving throw (think orks ;)

Black Ambience
15-04-2005, 23:11
Improved statline?! You don't mean... they gave them WS4?! Perect for when your Biovores charge off after the enemy... wait, they removed that rule... erm, good one GW? Heh heh.

Sadly my dreams of seeing Biovores wipe out entire Terminator squads in one massive barrage have just floated away... never mind, they are still prime artillery creatures!